VW Golf R32 Forum banner
201 - 220 of 226 Posts

826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
Who does these Franko yourself?
I have the fade on my LCD display in higher temps in th top corners.
Although it isn't that bad at moment but it's something I want to address.
Yes mate I do them, perhaps didn't make that clear enough on that first cluster post. Photo over load!

826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
This thread is still out of date with the car, but a timely update below from 2016. I mentioned it before on here, a good reason to have a full FIS cluster display is that you can plug in an aftermarket module that let's you display information from the ECU that the cluster doesn't normally, such as oil temp, battery voltage, boost (if turbo'd) etc. I chose the "FIS-Control" for my car and rattled on about it on page 6 of this thread, about half way down.

http://www.r32oc.com/topic/181481-frankos-garage-r32-daily-driver-rescue/page-6

Some other FIS add on products can display more than four lines of measurement info and since 2016 a software update to FIS-Control gave a new feature called a "Collection" view, this is a display of up to 6 different measurements at the same time (which you can choose your own names for) that can be saved as a preset. There are 9 preset views you can store so it's possible to create up to 9 different sets of these collections, or have a mixture of collection views and single line views at the top, graph views or boost meter views. So the upgrade:

1. The Older firmware I was running "2015-10-04"
1_zpsahb4l90b.jpg

2. The new firmware release "2016-05-15", again as an "APK" file it can be easily copied to any Android phone and from there it can be loaded to the FIS-Control over bluetooth
2_zpsr6q7xwlb.jpg

3. Sending the update
3_zps0tgbn6xr.jpg

4. FIS-Control updated to "2016-05-15"
4_zpswxbus39r.jpg

5. Now the "Collection" view is available
5_zpsukcuzxb4.jpg

6. So I did some tests by choosing a few different measurements on collection views to try it out.
6_zpstexoikcr.jpg

7_zpskvhraqs3.jpg

8. I ended up settling with Preset 1, 2 and 3 each displaying 6 items that I would want to see regularly. There are up to 9 preset screens, I've got a few single views on the other screens and the boost meter display on one of them. Preset 1 is really useful for general driving, I've set it for the things I'd usually most likely to see, oil/coolant/outside temp, fuel level, revs and speed. I've set it up now so that as soon as the engine starts the FIS-Control automatically displays preset 1, so I immediately can see the coolant and oil temps and check the engine is warmed up before pushing the revs higher.
8_zpsuugv9ve6.jpg

9_zpsznert7fp.jpg

9a_zpsk2grjtuk.jpg

9. I don't really need it, but I also setup a separate boost view with just 3 lines on it, just for giggles
9b_zpsuyizosh1.jpg

10 Little squeeze of the loud pedal to build some boost pressure :)
9c_zpsfwfc7lao.jpg

11 General view
9d_zpsup3auqir.jpg

I think I mentioned it earlier that none of the FIS-Control views are configured "out of the box", they can't be because this unit is compatible a lot of different models and even on the MK4 the measuring blocks vary between some ECU / engine combinations, never mind the differences between MK4-MK5-Audi-Seat-VAG, so by default the FIS-Control is not setup to measure any blocks or display anything, you need to decide what you want and set it up manually to fit your car/needs. But.. Once it's setup it can be made to come automatically start up on ignition and it's easy to exit out of if to get back to the standard trip computer to view MPG etc and then flip back into the FIS-Control with a few presses of the buttons on the stalk.

You can tell it was raining today with me typing this lot into the forum!!!

· Registered
1,409 Posts
PS I'll be going to GTi International this coming weekend so if anyone needs any VCDS / Vag Com action let me know, might be able to see you there.
Don't suppose you'd know how to properly code my dension Bluetooth kit in? Supposed to be able to access music menu to choose songs but so far only got the phone menu to work. I can listen to music but it won't access the artists etc etc. Was a VCDS step to do on CAN- gateway to activate something but it wasn't in the list when I looked
188b23a8165f155ec0fa69a6c42638b9.png

Dension have stopped replying now, frustratingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
I've never touched one of those before, but your VCDS looks ancient, is it a dodgy eBay/China knock off? Wonder if it can't fully recognise all the options in your gateway? Unless I'm mistaken yours is showing as version 14.10.0, mine is 17.1.3 (official licensed cable setup).

There might be MK5 guys who have more experience of this if you post it in the "In Car Entertainment" section on here:

http://www.r32oc.com/forum/7-in-car-entertainment/

· Registered
1,409 Posts
I've never touched one of those before, but your VCDS looks ancient, is it a dodgy eBay/China knock off? Wonder if it can't fully recognise all the options in your gateway? Unless I'm mistaken yours is showing as version 14.10.0, mine is 17.1.3 (official licensed cable setup).
There might be MK5 guys who have more experience of this if you post it in the "In Car Entertainment" section on here:

http://www.r32oc.com/forum/7-in-car-entertainment/
It's a decent clone but can't update that's all. Would you be able to take a look at inters if you have yours with you? Literally just needs that box ticking and it should be there because it's got updated CAN gateway in from when the RNS510 was fitted by previous owner. I posted ages ago by the way and no one replied despite numerous bumps lol even tried Facebook VCDS users uk and no replies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
Yes mate, wasn't that far from you last year once I'd worked out where the R32OC stand was and we had that chat just as you were leaving, I'll be in the Bora this coming Sunday.

That collection screen seems like one of the final pieces in the puzzle to making the best use of a FIS display, I look at it every day when I drive the car, if nothing else to make sure oil temp is up before pressing the loud pedal :good:

9d_zpsup3auqir.jpg

826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
Cool, hopefully I'll spot you over there then
Will be good to have a chat fella.

I have oil pressure and temperature sensors to wire into my FIS Control just not got around to doing it, this might give me the empathise to do it
Take it you know that you can read oil temperature off the 3.2 ECU as standard without an external sensor?

Control unit 17 instruments

Group 3

Value 3

For anyone else wondering, Oil pressure can only read if "OK" or not from the built in pressure switch in the engine as per the last line on the pic below, so can't read an actual pressure figure without installing an extra sensor.

7_zpskvhraqs3.jpg

1,799 Posts
Yeah knew it could read the temperature, assume it's from the sump level sensor? I have a billet oil filter holder with space for both pressure and temperature sensors and INA baffled sump so no sensor ????

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Auto part Nut

Attachments

201 - 220 of 226 Posts