VW Golf R32 Forum banner
221 - 226 of 226 Posts

826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #222 ·
Wow looks like I need to upgrade my FIS-Control, the collection feature is what I've wanted for ages. Be good to take a look around your Bora at Inters if that's what your taking mate?
Will u be on the r32oc forum stand franko ?
Pity I didn't get to meet you two fellas, I spent most of the day in the main area watching the drag racing and track day action, though did bump into a couple of R32OC guys including alfie93. I took the Bora and put it on the vagtuning.net stand but it wasn't really prep'd for it, I was going to put some interior bits back in the day before inters and ended up side tracked spending ages putting the interior boot panels back in the car (which no-one was going to see anyway) so not sure what my logic was there(!), so if you looked inside the car you might have seen a few bits missing including the centre console, head unit, door handles, wrong gear knob etc. I was going to mop the body (though I'm not into detailing) but ran out of time, so the car STILL has never been clayed/polished/waxed for the entire time I've owned it. This summer!

@ GTI FLY I realised from my photos I did see your car in show and shine, it looked immaculate as usual! I wonder which MK4 got first place?

826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
So post "176" towards the bottom of page 6 on this build thread I described the original MAF failing (in February 2016) and replacing it (for some reason on this forum it's not possible to add a link to an individual post on a thread, whenever I try it, it just jumps back to page one?).

So a while after replacing the MAF I was curious to measure the 2016 MAF air flow readings combined with a paper OEM air filter, vs the 2003 MAF with 'performance' sports panel filter. I had noticed before the MAF failed that the car was feeling a bit dull and seemed to have lost it's the "edge" to it's boost. The images below are taken from a measurement view on the FIS-Control, the third line up from the bottom is the "peak" figure measured on that particular run.

2015 Reading 1: 215.64 g/s = ~269.55 BHP
2003 original MAF, R32 DSG air intake, Piper cross panel air filter
MAF1_zpspg791cs8.jpg

2015 Reading 2: 217.64 g/s = ~272.05 BHP
2003 original MAF, R32 DSG air intake, Piper cross panel air filter
MAF2_zpsxfdvs6zc.jpg

2016 Reading (new OEM MAF): 221.11 g/s = ~276.38 BHP
brand new OEM MAF, R32 DSG air intake, standard panel air filter
MAF3_zpsm75ueuev.jpg

The car was definitely pulling much better with the new MAF/filter, cpuld feel more torque at lower revs since swapping to the new MAF, it had felt a bit "dull" recently, must have been the MAF on it's way out. What is also worth mentioning is that swapping the "performance" sports panel filter has lost no power at all it seems, so from a "power" point of view I don't think there is a gain from having a sports panel air filter compared to an OEM paper filter. I guess the benefit might be that a sports panel filter is something you can clean regularly whereas an OEM standard paper panel filter you dispose of and replace, so a regular service cost.

· Registered
MkV R32
72 Posts
Just found this. What an impressive build!! You must have a very understanding wife. LOL!! I love the 1.8T AMU conversion. looks like it came out of either an Audi TT or S3. I'm doing a similar rescue/rebuild on a 2008 MK5 R32. Fortunately, you had a much nicer body to work with.

221 - 226 of 226 Posts