VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new R32 and some idiot drove their tow bar through the front grill under the badge. Result is part of the plastic slat has been snapped off leaving an unsightly hole in the front.

VW quoting around £340 for new grill plus labour. Is there any cheaper way of getting what amounts to 5 inches of black plastic fixed?

Any ideas much appreciated.

Cheers

·
2,808 Posts
What!? How much are the parts on their own? That area is quite accessable so it shouldnt be that much! You could get a new bloody bumper for that!

I hit a rabbit and smashed out one of my bottom grilles, it cost me 14quid for the part and took about 30seconds to fit!
Have you damaged the chrome bit? Is it the grille under the number plate or the one either side of the badge?

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
1,580 Posts

·
1,957 Posts
Don't bother paying the dealer to fit it, you can easily do it yourself in about 10 minutes.

Try your best to get that one on eBay as the grills are extremely hard to get hold of. I had some reverese into my R in November and the car was gone for almost 6 weeks waiting for the grill to arrive. In the end I bought one off eBay as the bodyshop told me they had no expected delivery date.

Your dealer is taking the piss with the price, it's supposed to be about £240 for the part.

I phoned several dealers in the UK, one I know in Sweden and a colleague called a couple in Germany. They all said the same thing - they could take an order but could not give any indication of delivery date. One dealer had recently received on they ordered 4 months ago.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just the black grille under the number plate. Where did you get the part from?? How did you fit it?

Advice much appreciated again!

·
146 Posts
I need the exact same bit, madness you have to buy the whole surround. Mine was broken when I bought the car and the dealer is still waiting for the part from VW to fit. Been nearly two months!

·
1,957 Posts
Scotty001 said:
It's just the black grille under the number plate! The chrome and the badge are all fine.
It's all one piece. Have a look at the eBay auction that has been linked to and you'll see.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The responses to my question varied from it costs 14 quid to over £300. In truth Paulnutter was right, it is all one part, for any other Golf other than the R32 apparently you can buy just the black grille. For the R32 you have to buy the whole chrome and black central piece. My Volkswagen dealer quoted £341 for the part plus labour.

Unbelievably someone actually bought the one off e-bay for £391 plus £10 postage!

Currently trying to trace the owner of the idiot who drove into me... will keep you posted.....

·
1,957 Posts
The reason they guy on eBay pay have paid over the odds is that dealers are still quoting a lead time in terms of months rather than days to get the item from VW.

·
1,084 Posts
If it's only the lower part, is it possible to get a piece from a scrappy (or lesser golf) plastic welded in? It's not the most visible place on the front of the car is it?

The front bumper comes off reasonably easily, so you could take your time and do a neat job in a workshop somewhere.

Just my 2p's but I certainly wouldn't pay 300notes!

James aka Tokyo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts