VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone removed their front plate mount?

I want to remove the front plate mount to give the front end a smooth look like the US Rs. I removed the plate to find 6 rubber fixings holding the mount onto the bumper, does anyone know how best to remove these?

I know I will be left with 6 holes in the bumper but they are easily filled or if it looks really terrible I could replace the plate mount.

Any input appreciated.

·
748 Posts
Hello 50 Cant help you with the rubber mounts but if you dont want your front no: plate holder I will have it?

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Fifty,

Those pull out with pliers easy, theyre just push in clips.

You will be left with holes, its easy enough to have them filled tho, seen a few done like this.

Where you going to mount the front plate ?

·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im not going to have a front plate :) or if the need arises I will mount it behind the front center grill.

·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
John_C said:
Hello 50 Cant help you with the rubber mounts but if you dont want your front no: plate holder I will have it?
Its just an idea at this time, if Im pulled then I will need it again, sorry.

·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are they push in fittings or is there a bit on the back of the bumper too? I want to remove them but should I be looking for bits which will fall out the back of the bumper too?

·
3,732 Posts
FiftyPenceR32 said:
Im not going to have a front plate :) or if the need arises I will mount it behind the front center grill.
be wary, most petrol stations need to read your plate before they switch the pump on :alberteinstein:

i have mates with aircooled dubs that dont run them and not had any hassle from the boys in blue, but loads when it comes to filling up

unless you reverse in? :D

·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not a problem over here on Guernsey :) We have it pretty good over here.

·
16 Posts
I have got my front bumper smoothed, with my number plate behind the center grill. I have had it done a few months now and have not had any trouble with the police they do look but never pull me. As for the petrol stations im on first name terms with them in the shell garages round here so no trouble there.

·
4,328 Posts
I have thought about this loads, and would love to do it. But i wouldnt really want to have it in the lower grill i would probably try get away with it in the dash area, and if i get pulled just say it usually is int he lower grill but took it off for a show :)

·
1,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So far I havent done it myself, maybe when I get back from the Nurburgring. Ill be showing off my 50P-R32 german plates while im over there :)

·
6 Posts
Does anyone know where you can buy a new OEM front plate mount from?

I drive a GTI modified with shed-loads of R32 parts, and since i'm about to purchase a private plate, i thought i may as well get the mount while i'm on. I've seen the ones that VW Speed are selling, but i'm unsure whether they're correct. All the R32's that i've seen have them colour coded with the vehicle, but these don't look primed for the job?!

This is a direct link to their page - if anyone could confirm that this is the correct part, i would appreciate it.

http://www.vwspeed.co.uk/volkswagen/vw-parts/R32_Front_Licence_Plate_Bracket-2303-21.html

·
624 Posts
You could epoxy on some rare earth magnets behind the bumper and onto the back of the number plate. Means you can run plates when you need them but pull them off for the clean look at shows. Bumper holes would need to be filled and painted to look decent.

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
4,573 Posts
I thought about magnets. A mate suggested on the bonnet just above the grill but in not sure.

Has any1 tried a bracket coming out from the center of the lower grill? ? ? Then you could un-screw it at shows etc. That way it would be displayed at the standard location, and the screw holes would be out the way? ? ?

·
87 Posts
Anyone have any good hints on how to smoothen out the bumper without having it repainted?

·
87 Posts
Bumpers are rare here in Sweden..

so if I can smoothen it out easy, it would be preferable

1 - 20 of 21 Posts