VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As in the title are they worth fitting to the R.
Ive had a quick look around and i can't get my head around the difference in prices when at the end of the day they only have one job so surly they should all be as good as each other.
I feel im being naive.

What are your opinions?
Whats on yours?

I need help as im new to this whole modifying game. The closts my last car came to modifying was a set of bulbs which i then failed my MOT on...

HELP!

·
2,303 Posts
Trust me they are well worth doing mate I've not got any yet but H&R are the ones to go for

They make they car so much stiffer and they are adjustable just incase you want a less harsh ride

These coupled with some coilovers will make the car a totally different expierience

·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Trust me they are well worth doing mate I've not got any yet but H&R are the ones to go for

They make they car so much stiffer and they are adjustable just incase you want a less harsh ride

These coupled with some coilovers will make the car a totally different expierience
cheers, ive just read in places that they are at the end just a cosmetic look, and others say it sorts the body roll a lot. so i got confused, coilovers are a long way off, i can't afford a set of them. yet.

·
2,303 Posts
See if you can have a ride out in a car with them Uprated, my mate put some whiteline arbs on his clio 182 and the difference was massive especially on the rear makes them so less lazy and more lively

They definately aren't a cosmetic look though

I'm gonna see if mike at awesome would be willing to do a H&R arb group buy later this year lol I'm sure he would help us out

·
1,538 Posts
I've never thought of arbs as cosmetic. As the others say they stop body roll and really help, plus cosmetic things you normally can see

·
3,611 Posts
Made a big difference to my car, also poly bushed all round too.

·
5,500 Posts
I think what he was asking was are "front strut bars purely cosmetic", or do they produce positive performance gains...

Personally I think it's more cosmetic, but I haven't got one fitted. I have the bottom audi S3 brace, I can't say i noticed any difference with that bolted on.

The rear brace between the seats, people reckon that completely alters the handling of the car, but again I couldn't really tell much difference with it in - at the end of the day the car still goes around corners as fast as I ever dare drive it on public roads, so for me I'm undecided.

I've got H/r adjustable anti roll bars fitted, and they make a difference. Makes the car feel much more planted in the high speed sweeping curves. You can carry much more lateral G, and also with them being adjustable you can alter the handling balance of the car.
So if you enjoy driving fast in the twisty stuff, then yes ARB upgrade is well worth it.

·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think what he was asking was are "front strut bars purely cosmetic", or do they produce positive performance gains...

Personally I think it's more cosmetic, but I haven't got one fitted. I have the bottom audi S3 brace, I can't say i noticed any difference with that bolted on.

The rear brace between the seats, people reckon that completely alters the handling of the car, but again I couldn't really tell much difference with it in - at the end of the day the car still goes around corners as fast as I ever dare drive it on public roads, so for me I'm undecided.

I've got H/r adjustable anti roll bars fitted, and they make a difference. Makes the car feel much more planted in the high speed sweeping curves. You can carry much more lateral G, and also with them being adjustable you can alter the handling balance of the car.
So if you enjoy driving fast in the twisty stuff, then yes ARB upgrade is well worth it.
Yeh i was referring to the front strut. Im mentioning this cause i want to have a bit of fun on track in the next 12 months so im giving myself a year to get mods done and save cash so the cars running well as ultimately i want to go to the ring.

Cheers for your help

·
2,204 Posts
Uprated ARBs make the car corner flatter, but at the expense of grip.

Strut braces - no point at the front but can be of benefit at the back in older high mileage cars. Hatchbacks have no bracing at the back because of the folding seats, so aren't as rigid as saloons. R32s are pretty rigid as standard so you may not feel any difference.

·
3,611 Posts
Uprated ARBs make the car corner flatter, but at the expense of grip.

Strut braces - no point at the front but can be of benefit at the back in older high mileage cars. Hatchbacks have no bracing at the back because of the folding seats, so aren't as rigid as saloons. R32s are pretty rigid as standard so you may not feel any difference.
So ARBs negate grip ?

I haven't notice this I have mine set hard front and rear. Would be bad for grip ?

·
3,611 Posts
Anyone else shed some knowledge ?

That the hard setting on the ARBs negate grip ?

·
1,935 Posts
Anyone else shed some knowledge ?

That the hard setting on the ARBs negate grip ?
From what I understand because its stiffer you corner better, but when grip goes it does so in a more abrupt manner. Please correct me if I'm wrong though.

Also on the hard/soft settings, I've read somewhere having the front on hard will make it more under steer, so using the soft setting on the front should counter act the hard setting on the rear giving less under steer?

BTW I run Eibach ARB's, which only have adjustment on the front!

·
5,500 Posts
From what I've found through using H/R anti roll bars:

Hard front, hard Rear, you get lots of grip in fast (high load) corners/sweepers. the car is rock solid and just feels immense. The faster you go, the more planted the car feels to be honest.
The downside is the steering wheel kicks back a lot more of the time, and I just don't like that. Kick back tends to happen mid corner when the front is heavily loaded and hits a bump or two. Some people like the 'feel' of that, but to me it's just naff.

Soft Front, Hard Rear setting,
Car feels much more pointier - the front end much more dartier, and at first it feels nervous. Less planted at the front, quicker and changing direction. More direct feeling, but at first it feels nervous.
High speed corners/high load corners (I'm talking high speed stuff) the car doesn't feel as planted as the hard/hard setting.
But you get a lot less kickback, and the car just feels so much pointier, so you can now change driving style and use the pointier stance to your effect, and start to learn to back off mid corner and get the tail to carve a sharper line on some bends.
It's a different feeling, feels naughtier, but ultimately it's probably a lot more satisfying too.

I've got my car on this setting, and I'm most happiest with it like this.

In terms of negating grip - no.
The principle is if you add increased roll stiffness to one axle then you remove grip from that axle.
People often fit a REAR ARB only, this helps remove understeer by removing the effective grip from the REAR axle (this is what loads of people do for FWD Golfs to help remove understeer)

By fitting a front and rear ARB set, I haven't noticed less grip, I've found more grip, as the car is balanced at both ends.

·
899 Posts
Whats the recommendations then?

Front only? Front & Rear? Adjustable/Fixed? 22mm front? 22/24mm rear? H&R/Eibach/Whiteline?

+ Droplinks? what would you recommend? Whiteline Adjustables look decent

·
5,500 Posts
I've got H/R ARB kit - that's front and rear, and they are adjustable

Don't need to upgrade the drop links, but if they've never been changed before (these cars are now 10years old), then you might aswell get some brand new VW drop links whilst you're at it.

·
2,097 Posts
ARB's come in a few different thickness which make the price change a bit but mostly the prices vary down to what make you get. As already said H&R one are probably the best you can get. You want the thickest ones you can get and poly bush all your joints.
Get some coilovers or springs and shocks.
Good grippy tyres and have some fun on a track

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.