VW Golf R32 Forum banner

Frustration. HPA short shifter.

846 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  CorradoR32 
#1 ·
The Car has been abandoned on the driveway:

So I had a little free time on my hands today and thought I would fit my HPA short shifter and clean the car
. Now I've done lots of work on the car myself and thought this was going to be a lovely little job and take no longer than an hour. This was not the case!
I followed the instructions from HPA, undone the nut on the top of the stock shifter mechanism disconnected the linkage cables and tried to pop it off, tried being the key word. I managed to lift it up about 2mm and couldn't move it anymore.
So after a bit of struggling I soaked it in some freeing agent and left it for a while. Came back to it and after about an hour and lots of sweating, swearing and losing my temper I gave up a left the car abandoned on the driveway.

Most people have said these are a breeze to fit and I can see that it should be but has anyone else had this problem?

See less See more
#4 ·
When I fitted mine it was a pain but I got it off. All I did was lever under the shifter to put upwards pressure on it, put the nut back on the thread so it sat flush and used a soft hammer to hit the thread until it popped off the splines.
Just be careful not to damage the threads on the shaft, this is why you put the nut back on to sit flush.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.