1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
288 Posts
VCDS will not do it. You need someone to sort the imoobilisier and if your car is a 2007 model, it'll be Immo4C, which is harder than 4A but just needs the right tools. An 873B cluster is also Immo4C, so you should be right, once you find someone to do it. I'd suggest someone with good reviews/reputation - not some cheap backyarder etc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi DubNurb, thanks for your input. I found this online.
The less obvious differences are;-
Immobiliser type........2004-2006MY have "Immo 4" type, and 2007MY onward have "Immo 4c".
The "c" stands for "crypto" ( a Siemens Security technology) which is more advanced that the basic type 4 version.

How to tell if your cluster is Immo4 or Immo4c.......
Look at the left hand tacho dial and turn your ignition key to position 1........if you see a little key icon with a car outline around it.......it's Immo4.
If you put just the flat key blade in the ignition and turn it, you will activate the immobiliser.........if you see "SAFE" where the mileage is usually displayed.......it's Immo4c.

Always check YOUR part number, and know the date of manufacture of your car.
You will likely fail to match up replacements if they are not compatible.
You will definitely fail if you mismatch immobiliser types.
Mk5 Golf - All you needed to know about Mk5 Instrument...

I am in Melbourne. Where abouts are you in Australia? I wondering if you could recommend someone?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm in NZ. I don't know anyone is Oz who can do it, that I can think of. There is one guy I'll ask, if he can and is OK with it, I'll get his contact details to you. He is in Sydney though! He might know someone.

The part number for the ebay listing says it's 4C, but I believe a competent person CAN match that. I can do 4A, but that's easy, in comparison to 4C, or a mixture.
Your car is probably a 2006 model year, by VIN... though the R32's did change things a bit later than some other Golf models... and VW don't like to be too consistent with their changeover dates 🙃

·
Registered
2007 5dr DSG RS R32
192 Posts
I'll send you a PM with his email ;-) He CAN do it, and might be able to source an MFD closer to your version too.
If you're referring to Julian in Sydney I recommend him! He did my cluster for me a few years ago and was great to deal with. Unfortunately mine was a more difficult 4c cluster too. Ask him if he still has the spare R32 full MFD cluster laying around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts