VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which is better,

MacBook or windows generic laptop?

Reason for asking is I'm after a new laptop as the one I've got has lasted a year!

Uses are for surfing, films, picture manipulation, iTunes, documents, light gaming and that's about it really.

I'm tempted to go the apple route as I did that with the phone and I'm happy so far with the product.

Personal experience is what I'm after really to get a better aspect of pros and cons.

Cheers in advance and NO FALLING OUT!!!

·
Administrator
13,972 Posts
Another potential fight thread lol

But any for me

Sent from my iPhone 9 in a Time Machine

·
504 Posts
I have a Mackbook and IMac i can't complain really, nice and fast even after several years of ownership, my only annoyance is in my experiance Mac's arn't great for gaming, i dont think i have found a single game i want to play available on MAC, other than WOW but that was a few years ago.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a Mackbook and IMac i can't complain really, nice and fast even after several years of ownership, my only annoyance is in my experiance Mac's arn't great for gaming, i dont think i have found a single game i want to play available on MAC, other than WOW but that was a few years ago.
Gaming wise my limit is really command & conquer, Starcraft and Age of Empires hence light gaming, and to be fair it's rare I sit n play games, the old xbox is just a dust magnet!

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Personally my PC and laptop are Microsoft and my phone is Apple
. Got to get a tablet next and I'm going to go for a Windows based one. I'm also tempted to go for a Samsung smartphone when I'm due an upgrade as the picture quality on my Brothers S4 is really good compared with my 4S. I'm surprised actually as I had the choice between a 65" Samsung TV and an equivalent Panasonic and went for the 65" Pany (wasn't keen on the bright anime graphics the Samsung TV's have)

I guess I don't have a company I'm loyal to

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Gaming wise my limit is really command & conquer, Starcraft and Age of Empires hence light gaming, and to be fair it's rare I sit n play games, the old xbox is just a dust magnet!
1. Total Annihilation
2. Command and Conquer Red Alert 2
3. Unreal Tournament Instagib online
4. Empire Total War

That's my favourite PC games although I do play Black Ops on PS3 and MW2 on the Xbox 360 (wow I really can't commit to one company :s)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haha you crazy! Well at least your covering all basis lol, so what's windows 8 like then? Is it user friendly so to speak? My friend fetched his laptop round one night and that had w8 on it but I couldn't work it out! Nothing was where it should be!

·
Nappy Wearing Member
881 Posts
Always been a Windows person, till i recently installed OSX on a virtual PC to attempt and make some apps, but long story short i've now ended up blowing away my laptop and making it basically a mac book but better!

However I still have my desktop for gaming and I wouldn't trade that for a mac, but for general use I like OSX.

·
2,803 Posts
Save some money and get a windows laptop

·
Hard to reMember
4,500 Posts
Haha you crazy! Well at least your covering all basis lol, so what's windows 8 like then? Is it user friendly so to speak? My friend fetched his laptop round one night and that had w8 on it but I couldn't work it out! Nothing was where it should be!
No idea lol I specifically asked for Windows 7 when I bought my PC (even though the sales guy was confused and kept mentioning Windows 8
)

·
2,097 Posts
All my windows computers have struggled to last over a year without crashing all the time and being so damn slowwwwww.
Windows is really not for me.

I bought an apple IMac 2 years ago and it still works exactly as it did when I opened it for the first time. It still boots up and loads the exact same time and it has never crashed on me

I'm not a PC gamer so games don't bother me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers for the replies, a lad at work told me that when there is a new version of apple software it's peanuts to buy whereas it's cheaper to buy a new windows laptop when the next version comes out. I've found that apples after sale service is really good in regards to my iPhone, I went into the store told them my lock button didn't work like it used to and they sent me off with an appointment to get a brand new phone but Microsoft on the other hand when I was trying to cancel my xbox live subscription was an absolute nightmare!

What experience have you guys had with after sales?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Get a Mac if....

You do a lot of editing music/video etc
You don't do a lot of office processing word/excel etc
You don't play games
You love all things cnc'd from aluminium
Your loaded

Get a PC if....

You want a greater selection of software and/or hardware
You don't want to adjust your learning curve (windows 8 not included!!)
You play games
You use office based tools a lot
Youd rather conserve your cash

Jokes aside, def PC for most people just because they're used in the more places and probably more familiar

Mac if your a designer, artist, DJ, etc

If all your doing is fb etc then either will suffice and it just comes down to price

·
Registered
404 Posts
I was making a similar choice recently and when i specced a Mac to the standard that i wanted, it was coming in at around £2k. The Windows based ASUS laptop i ended up buying was approx £750 and had a much better spec.

So far, i've no regrets. I use the laptop for general internet surfing, work related stuff on Office and that's about it. The spec would comfortably handle some games, too, if so desired, but i generally use the Xbox for the little gaming that i do/have time for.

·
682 Posts
I've got a mac and love it, so much quicker and I have finally started to sort all my photos out as I find it easier to play round with

·
Registered
977 Posts
I was making a similar choice recently and when i specced a Mac to the standard that i wanted, it was coming in at around £2k. The Windows based ASUS laptop i ended up buying was approx £750 and had a much better spec.

So far, i've no regrets. I use the laptop for general internet surfing, work related stuff on Office and that's about it. The spec would comfortably handle some games, too, if so desired, but i generally use the Xbox for the little gaming that i do/have time for.
I think most people fall into this category, myself included

I don't believe in spending silly money for silly monies sake and there no greater proof that apple products are stupidly priced then their 27" IPS display.... it's the best part of £800 when the equivalent from other brands come in at half the price and twice the features..... mental

·
Registered
404 Posts
I think most people fall into this category, myself included

I don't believe in spending silly money for silly monies sake and there no greater proof that apple products are stupidly priced then their 27" IPS display.... it's the best part of £800 when the equivalent from other brands come in at half the price and twice the features..... mental
Yeah, much as the Apple productts are generally a lovely piece of kit, i don't see the point in wasting an extra £1500 when my current laptop does everything that i need it to do. It even has the "instant on" feature, ie it turns on when i flip open the lid, so there's no issue with regard to speed of access or anything like that.

No doubt those who have Macs will love them (and tell themselves they're worth it!), as they are a good piece of kit, but i'm just as happy with my ASUS number, and £1500 to spend elsewhere.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Yeah, much as the Apple productts are generally a lovely piece of kit, i don't see the point in wasting an extra £1500 when my current laptop does everything that i need it to do. It even has the "instant on" feature, ie it turns on when i flip open the lid, so there's no issue with regard to speed of access or anything like that.

No doubt those who have Macs will love them (and tell themselves they're worth it!), as they are a good piece of kit, but i'm just as happy with my ASUS number, and £1500 to spend elsewhere.
Yeah exactly they look immense never disputed that
.... But PCs are catching up aesthetically... Asus as you mentioned make some nice bits of kit and pound for pond you get more bang for your buck

1 - 20 of 26 Posts