VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well got a surprise off the mrs today but a little unsure. Basically this guy is getting a load of graphics and stickers done by the wife and coz for months I've said to her I need someone to get all these swirls out of golf as there peeing me off she's done a swap deal with him. I spoke to him and he sounds alright and I said what I want doing but he does it all by hand? I asked why don't you use a MOP and he says not as good as by hand and he will do it better that way. He uses mostly autoglym and G3 along with other stuff but he reckons it will be mirror clean. What do you think? He says he'll use the HD polish. Sod's law as I pm'd robp last week to arrange to mine in the summer but will see what this dude can do. Least it won't cost but it will take 2 days he said.

·
1,028 Posts
Did he say now long he needs the car for? Removing swirls by hand on vag paint is bloody hard work, have a look on detailing world. The products he's using are decent, but I think all that will be done really is fillers going into the swirls to hide them and not remove them them.

G

·
hi mate, honestly its no problem at all, especially as hes doing it for free. I dont do it as a job just a hobby so its fine mate.
As rwoody said, by hand will be tough, even for 2 days work. if hes seen the car and its not too bad perhaps hes doing a light correction. A machine makes such light work i dont understand why someone would choose hand correction over a machine. Again depends on how bad the car is anyway. To do a full correction on a car i would say 2 days by machine so perhaps jsut ask him if he intends using products to mask the swirls or will he polish these out. 3G will remove swirls, never used it myself so i dont know how good it is. oh and worth asking if he has a paint gauge...

·
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He needs it a full 48 hours. He showed me a Porsche and a range rover he did which looked pretty sweat so will wait and see. Ill take some before and after pics

·
533 Posts
You'll never remove marks PROPERLY by hand on VAG paint.

He might be able to mask them with some sort of filler glaze and make it look shiny.

G3's also pretty abrasive so I would want it refining after if it was me!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Will need machining to get rid of the swirls, as said above he is probably going to remove some, and fill some in the same process. After a few washes you will probably notice they are still there, but im sure it will bring it up alot with that much time spent on it. He would only need it for half that time if he had a machine though!

·
5,496 Posts
You'll never remove marks PROPERLY by hand on VAG paint.

He might be able to mask them with some sort of filler glaze and make it look shiny.

G3's also pretty abrasive so I would want it refining after if it was me!

well said.

there's no way you can remove swirls by hand on VAG paint. end of.

what he'll achieve is a mirror finish by hiding the majority of the swirls by using the products he's got.

The swirls will naturally come back a few weeks or month later when the products weather away natually.

anyways, to most people it'll look great I'm sure.

·
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Got it back last night. He had to call someone to machine polish the car in the end. The roof was done by hand but he said it took forever so his mate finished it. And has had a few coats of the HD wax. Not bad for a swap deal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts