VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Mk5 Golf R32 , black 3 door 2006
884 Posts
I do know that the Lucifer ones ( available via this site) are exceptionally good, fit beautifully and are very well made . If you are having to ship to Australia , I would get a Lucifer system and know exactly what you are buying . I suspect that the gravity system will be be made of pure chinesium .

·
Eats Kitty Litter
7,385 Posts
Hi i am Lucifer :devilish:
As mentioned above the Gravity Performance systems are what used to be called Direnza. It is a chinese made and imported system. Easy way to tell in general if any system is Chinese made is look at the system and see if rather then just bending the metal ( cheap and easy to do and takes seconds once in the machine ) they have done angled pie cuts and welded several pieces together to make a simple low degree bend which is an expensive way plus much weaker way of doing the bend. Reason for the pie cut bends on low degree angles is purley because such low grade steel is used it will crack or ripple if they try to just bend it. I have sent several of my down pipe systems to Austrlia and New Zealand plus a few gearboxes and engines over the years .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hi i am Lucifer :devilish:
As mentioned above the Gravity Performance systems are what used to be called Direnza. It is a chinese made and imported system. Easy way to tell in general if any system is Chinese made is look at the system and see if rather then just bending the metal ( cheap and easy to do and takes seconds once in the machine ) they have done angled pie cuts and welded several pieces together to make a simple low degree bend which is an expensive way plus much weaker way of doing the bend. Reason for the pie cut bends on low degree angles is purley because such low grade steel is used it will crack or ripple if they try to just bend it. I have sent several of my down pipe systems to Austrlia and New Zealand plus a few gearboxes and engines over the years .
Hi Lucifer, I want to get a bit of extra performance, sound, and help the NA engine breath better, thus I want to upgrade the exhaust system. I am also hoping to shave some weight.
Is this possible? What are your systems made from?
My concerns are possible drone and having a car which is too loud inside.
The car is a manual and ideally I would like to install the manifolds and sport cats in combination with a SuperSprint catback.
Supersprint 765340 Sport&Sound pack
A few mechanics have told me that removing the factory manifolds is a tricky job and bolts can break off making the removal of old and installation of new manifolds time consuming and expensive.
I was told it might be better to just install the sports cats as this would improve the system overall in terms of risks/costs vs the benefits.
I would like to tune the car in the future (stage 2) and that's why upgrading the manifolds and sports cats is being considered.
What is your experience and advice regarding a suitable system?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Lucifer,
I was just about to contact you so thanks for reaching out. This is exactly why I joined this community/forum :)
It's great to hear you can ship to OZ and have done so over the years. I wanted to know if your system would be compatible with a Super Sprint catback which I have already ordered?

·
Eats Kitty Litter
7,385 Posts
As long as the Supersprint exhaust bolts straight on to the factory cats it will fit my sport cat system. The tubular manifold/down pipe system i sale are a direct replacement for the cast manifold and down pipe system already fitted to your car. Removing the cast manifolds is a fiddly job unless you take the engine out just because there is very little space to work in. The studs can break when removing the nut but it is very uncommon as far as i am aware. The factory nuts used to keep the manifolds on are very soft and designed to break off rather then damage the stud. The main restriction in the whole manifold back system is in the down pipes where they reduce down to 1" triangle sections on each down pipe. You can fit any size and design exhaust and sport cat or decat pipe it will not make much difference power wise because the first and main restriction is in the down pipes . Changing to tubular amnifolds makes very little difference to the noise of the car, slightly louder with a lower tone to it as the pipework used is a larger diameter bore size. Sport cats again make very little difference in noise when slow driving in town traffic etc but will get to about 20% louder gradually as you go up the rev range to peak revs.
Leg Human body Thigh Knee Gas

·
Eats Kitty Litter
7,385 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The biggest issue is actually the cast manifolds
Yes, I actually hear different things from different people but I only hear good things about Lucifer exhausts systems.
I am going to talk to my mechanic about removing the original cast manifolds and probably get the whole system minus the catback.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Just want to throw in one more thing here. If you delete the centre silencer ( often referred to as ‘resonator delete ‘ ) then do expect more exhaust noise . A fantastic wail at high rpm but definitely not nice on the motorway at 3000rpm...... well not in my view anyway . I have the full Lucifer system except for the manifold , which I retained and wish that I had not , because I plan to go forced induction , ( supercharge ) and a manifold change now would mean I would also need the Lucifer flexi connections which I guess are not the same as the ones I have that go from cast to cats , if you see what I mean . So , in a nutshell, buy once , do the job once and then give it no further thought .

·
Registered
884 Posts
That is my opinion and experience . Lots of folk on here do run a non res system and are happy with the effect . I found it hard work on a motorway and was the first thing I changed after I bought the car ( which is when I was steered in the direction of the excellent Lucifer system . Initially I bought his Resonated cat back system and then subsequently his sports cats and flexi pipes but left my cast manifold ( woe is me for that as per my previous post ) .
If you plan to use your car for distance work at 70odd mph , the I would go resonated . But that is just my view and experience . Lots of folk love their non res systems , although I have seen a number of posts relating to people who have their non res centre pipe for sale !

·
Eats Kitty Litter
7,385 Posts
Hi Lucifer, I want to check how close the fit between your tubing and the SuperSprint catback is. What diameter tubing is your exhaust made from?
The link pipe is 70mm OD .
The super sprint link is a bit mixed up as the part is advertised as for a MK4 R32 but the description is for an Audi S3 8P ?
"Supersprint centre pipe.

For OEM centre silencer removal.

On Audi S3 8P:
Ø70 pipe, inlet Ø65mm. Included adaptor for stock front section Ø60mm (all external diameters)
To fit with OEM rear muffler it's necessary to reduce the outlet diameter at Ø65mm (to be specified when placing the order) and use the OEM clamp code 1K0 253 141 P "

1 - 20 of 23 Posts