VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My Mk5 came with a Kenwood double din DVD/Sat Nav media centre thingy but I would like to put an OEM one back in, is there a guide available describing the various features and limitations of each of the different OEM headunits?

Thanks, Andrew

·
2,665 Posts
Various revisions of the RNS510 are the obvious replacement.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Wot Kenwood audio unit is it ? I'm looking for [background=rgb(254, 254, 254)]Kenwood vw satnav headunit dnx520vb[/background]

·
774 Posts
Wasn't a black 55 plate 3dr manual R32 was it?

My old mk5 had the Kenwood unit, good enough unit and had built in bluetooth as well. But the phone function didn't work well, I couldn't search through contacts to make a call whilst driving which was quite annoying.

I have the RNS 510 in my current MK5 r32 and its a great wee system and half the cost of the Kenwood unit.

So if it OEM your looking for the RNS 510 is a good choice

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the late replies,

JMCR32: i've got a Kenwood DDX6027 with Sat Nav atm, came with the car but i prefer the OEM setup.

SCOTT1979: nah blue 3 door 55 plate, do the RNS510's work with a 55 plate? Theres nothing weird like the wiring is slightly different on earlier cars like theres a difference in interior trim?

·
774 Posts
Sorry dunno, I only changed from the standard RCD unit to the kenwood in my 55 plate R and VW did that installation, but don't think any additional wiring or anything was required. I'm sure VW would have charged me for it if it did!

But I did do the swap in my current 07 plate R from MFD2 to RNS510 and it was seemless, wiring was the same, just a straight swap.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
Sorry for the late replies,

JMCR32: i've got a Kenwood DDX6027 with Sat Nav atm, came with the car but i prefer the OEM setup.

SCOTT1979: nah blue 3 door 55 plate, do the RNS510's work with a 55 plate? Theres nothing weird like the wiring is slightly different on earlier cars like theres a difference in interior trim?
Wiring is the same if you go for a rns510 version D onwards you would also need to change your gateway to prevent battery drain. If your interested in a rns510, gateway etc drop me a pm

Nick

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 7 of 7 Posts