VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't driven the R much over Christmas so went out for a spin today. I drove down to Bridgend and back(30 mile round trip) and I was on my way home when I decided to detour through Lancarfan lanes - big mistake!!! - hidden in a puddle must have been the world's biggest pothole and as we hit it I said to my daughter"I hope nothing was damaged just then". Two seconds later the low oil pressure warning came on and I had to pull over, and when looking outside the oil was pouring all over the floor. Three cold dark hours later the car is in my mate's compound (thanks to the AA) and I don't know the full extent of the damage but will have a look tomorrow. My wallet is hurting already!!!

·
616 Posts
O dear.... I have done it 2! Hope you get it sorted :151:

·
.:R32OC Resident Pervert
7,935 Posts
Just make sure that you claim from the Council HighWays Department.

I did years ago when I hit a pot hole and damaged a tyre (The tyre was due for a change soon) The council paid out 90 percent ,Due to the road not being maintained.
Include AA,and your mates storage.

Just provide photos damage/hole etc,

Good luck

·
4,328 Posts
Yeah give it a claim.

I have heard that they will have to pay out if there has been a complaint abotu the road/pothole before you send in your claim.

But lets just hope its just the sump that is damaged and nothing else :(

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
5,616 Posts
Nightmare mate, hope you're able to get it sorted soon :top:

·
267 Posts
fecking in 'ell matt ,

bad news , the sump on the R's is really low .......... if i can help mate let me know bridgend only 15 mins away from you ..........

neil

·
3,137 Posts
That sucks mate. As others have said hope its just the sump

·
83 Posts
Make sure you go and get a picture of that pothole with i ruler in it to show the depth etc.
Friend of mine did the same, hit a pothole and ruined his suspension, he immediately took photo's and then rang the council to complain. They advised him to take photo's of the pothole, but the next day he found it had been filled in.Sneaky! Luckily he had taken pics before ringing them.
Think he got paid out in the end

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers for the replies, I've left it in the hands of my insurance as my mate reckons a new engine is on the cards, so it may work out to my benefit in the long run ( I hope).

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are some pics of the pot hole that I took this morning -

This is a pot that I took to empty the hole and it is 61/2 inches tall -

here is the pot in the hole with 1 1/2 inches showing so the hole is at least 5 inches deep

I came down the road heading towards the camera

This is the where I was headed

This tape measure is three feet long(the only one that I could find)

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

I went to have a look at the car afterwards and it looks O.K. at the moment and I can't see any other damage so it should just be down to what damage has been done to the engine, what a good start to the new year!!!

·
6,197 Posts
plenty of skid/scuff marks next to the hole where other people's cars have bottomed out!!!!!!! I would have said one of these would be from your sump!
Good luck getting it sorted!

·
.:R32OC Resident Pervert
7,935 Posts
At least you can place your claim with the council/high ways dept and its better to have photos as back up (Bet it will be filled in asap now)

Good luck.

·
83 Posts
That things a sewer tunnel, should have a manhole cover on in!
Doesn't look like there is all that much room to avoid it either.

·
3,732 Posts
from the scrapes on the road and the failed repair patches in the photos the council will be aware of that mineshaft... should be an open and shut claim for you

·
Registered
267 Posts
Any news on the resolution to this incident.

Getting any joy out of local councils can be time consuming and hard work.

What about the insurance issue?

·
3,137 Posts
that road looks pretty well abandoned by the council, what grade road is it?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts