VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm pretty new the R32 world and this forum! Just a few questions..

I know the 4 wheel drive system isn't permanent (unfortunately) - it is two wheel drive until the system senses loss of traction at the back wheels and then applies full 4 wheel drive. Therefore normally it is 2 wheel drive unless driving really hard.

I have heard a few people talk about Haldex Generation II controller - what is this? Does this allow a user to have permanent 4 wheel drive or similar?

What suspension upgrades would you guys recommend or is it not really necessary - is the stock set up very good? If it was upgraded would lowering springs suffice or would you need uprated dampers too?

What about exhaust - is the stock one very good or is it restrictive? I know the "flapper" is a bit restrictive.

Is the stock ECU very efficient or is this too ideally upgraded with a custom remap? I know on the earlier mk3 vr6 the OBD2 ecu was very efficient and a remap on that car was pointless. Is this the case with the R32 or does the car respond well to a remap after minor mods? The later mk3 VR6 actually made on average 190bhp on rolling roads (very different to the earlier VR6 and factory quoted figures power figures which are just a guide anyway). Does the stock R32 suffer from any flat spots?

What are the weak spots if any for the R32?

Finally last question (!), with just a simple free flowing exhaust and cold air induction kit (such as BMC) plus remap (if needed) what kind of power and torque are you guys making on the rolling road.

Thanks for any help and comments.

Cheers
Matt

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
5,616 Posts
I'll go for quick, simple answers for now!

Yep, the R is 2wd until loss of traction then the haldex transfers power to the rears making it 4wd

The Haldex Gen II allows power to be transferred to the rears a lot earlier, therefore giving better control when driven hard or on track days.

I'm unsure as to the best suspension mods, but someone else will no doubt inform you on that one.

The exhaust is quite restrictive so best to have this replaced. The most well known is Milltek and comes in the form of resonated (quiet) or non-resonated (loud)

The stock ECU is good, but does not unleash the full power of the V6. Remapping can give a bit more power and MAY improve full consumtion (not guaranteed tho - its more done for power reasons)

The MkIV has a couple of weak spots I believe. The main one being the cooling fan issue.

Don't get your head too envolved with bhp and ftlb's figures. Modding the R isn't just about the bigger figures. It's also about gaining a better and more thrilling drive... just how it should have been built from the factory.

Having said that, a CAI + remap + Exhaust should gain you around 20-25bhp and 30-35ftlb.

Hope that helps :top:

·
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mattchaps, useful info there. I haven't got my R32 yet. Trying to find out as much info as possible before I get one, ideally early next year :)

Less of a more important question but just interested.. how does a "lightly modded" (exhaust, filter, remap) mark IV R32 compare to other similar "hot hatches", like S3's, Civic Type R's, Cupra R's, VXR's etc. Has anyone had run-ins with them at traffic lights etc, on the road or track (like quarter mile runs)? What quarter mile times would a lightly modded R get roughly.. high to mid 13's?

Thanks again for any help

·
2,808 Posts
Less of a more important question but just interested.. how does a "lightly modded" (exhaust, filter, remap) mark IV R32 compare to other similar "hot hatches", like S3's, Civic Type R's, Cupra R's, VXR's etc. Has anyone had run-ins with them at traffic lights etc, on the road or track
The only hatch Iv had trouble from has been the new leon R, but I reckon that was chipped, as for CTR's, VXR's you should beat them in a 'exhaust, filter, remap' equipped R32, mines got that and cams and Iv trounced them all, not really done much cornering against them tho.
Duno about a modded VXR tho.. but its a Vauxhall so who cares!

·
190 Posts
As for quarter mile times i theink 13s are optimmistic in a "lightly" modded R.

The CTRs and VXRs have all fallen foul of my R, the only thing thats troubled me was a highly fettled ibiza 20vt, but then again it has no soul whatsoever.:hmmmm:

I'm booked in to get the cats and stg2 map done along with H&R -25mm springs, my car had new dampers less than 2k ago so i didnt see the point buying a full kit.

With that lot fitted i will be happy knowing that it goes and corners quicker than most hatches on the road, and the fact mine has 5 doors just adds to this (CTR and Focus RS drivers didnt like being beat by a 5door Golf):aetsch:

·
190 Posts
For the moment till someone wants to buy it i am. Its a bad time of year, id rather not sell but needs must im afraid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.