VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My cars going into vagtech on monday to have my CAI fitted properly and Im thinking of getting the race switch plumbed in for the haldex controller.
Iv tried looking for the thread about the switch but I cant find it.
I know burble and I think dave have this switch, can you let me know (pm if you like) how much it was and if its worth it? I already have the haldex but its 'stuck' in sport mode. Is race mode much better?

·
1,957 Posts
I think mine cost about £180. I got mine installed at the same time as my ARB's so got a bit of a discount.

Is it worth it? In my eyes, absolutely but it will depend on your driving style. I drive with mine permanently in race mode now because I like the car being as rear wheel biased as possible but if you prefer it being more 50:50 then it possibly isn't worth it.

It's difficult for me to judge exactly what difference race mode makes because I had ARB's installed with the switch so some of the improvement will come from them. I think it's great though, the car handles very very nicely now and there is next to no understeer.

Where in the cabin are you going to get the switch installed? Dave has his in the switch panel next to the tyre pressure switch and I've got mine in the ashtray so unless you open the ashtray cover on mine you won't know it is there. The switch is quite deep so there are very few choices of where to have it located.

·
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ta mate,
I drive my fairly hard, Iv had a bit of understeer action so hopefully this would be erradicated.
I dont mind paying around 200quid so I think I may get it done. Think I would put it in the ashtray too, sounds like a good idea.

·
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
1,957 Posts
I'm very pleased that I got mine installed. Sport mode was a nice jump up from standard, but race is much, much better.

It isn't a 10 minute job to install though. My car was at APS most of the day but having ARB's installed at the same time I don't know who much time was spent on each.

If you get yours installed in the ash tray then it needs to go towards the middle front of it because of the air conditioning ductwork going to the back of the arm rest.

·
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had this fitted yesterday and race mode is freakin awesome! it actually feels like a 4wd car with no power understeer atall.
Also had the shortshifter fitted which again, for the cash it costs (£120), its a decent mod.

Only slightly worrying thing which I wasnt aware of is that apparently you shouldnt run the haldex in race mode all the time otherwise it can sieze/blow up the haldex controller. Apparently, according to Vagtech, you should only run it for an hour at a time/an hour a day. Still worth every penny though.

Got it all fitted at Vagtech, proper decent lads and Jon fitted the switch next to the headlight switch which looks top draw.

·
1,957 Posts
I don't believe that bit about only using race mode for a limited time. In this day and age there would be some sort of automatic system to prevent damage to the controller before it went bang.

Race mode is awesome though :)

·
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't believe that bit about only using race mode for a limited time. In this day and age there would be some sort of automatic system to prevent damage to the controller before it went bang.
Im too scared to find out. No doubt I'll forget to switch it out of racemode.

·
1,957 Posts
I've had my switch installed for about 2 months and in that time it's only been out of race mode for about 2 hours and it is yet to go bang.

·
6,197 Posts
i don't think its the controller that will burn out its the haldex diff its self....remember its an oil based diff so might burn/degrade the oil very quickly if its on all the time.

·
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
means I dont rinse my tyres too much only using it in hourly slots. Well happy with it.

·
842 Posts
so driving the car an hr a day is enough! lol

haldex mod seems to get some gd feedback and it's on my to-do list...even if it's a long way down

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
2,548 Posts
Nice one Rupo!

Race mode is the best setting, I've been using it for 2 weeks now. I did swap back to sport during really wet roads though. I had a significant understeer moment on a roundabout. I thought it strange because I was in race but I flicked it back to sport to be 'safe' lol. No danger but the front just went straight on during a sharp turn. I'm not sure it would have done that in sport... weird? Maybe because no power was there to pull the front round?

I really like the position of my switch but it's bigger than it needs to be. I'm going to look at modifying it at some point.

EDIT: Which setting did you go for with the SS? I found the 40% reduction too extreme (wimp).

·
Registered
384 Posts
Heard so much about this Haldex Gen II, but never seen any pics.

Start showing some pics, instead of just bragging about driving in R mode 24/7 ;)

And if there's anyone with the switch installed on the dash, then please post some...

·
1,957 Posts
I'll take some pics later but they'll be far from interesting - imagine a switch with a red knob in the ash tray of my car and you're about there.

Davefish posted some pics of his switch in his .:R32 blog.

I agree that the switch is bigger than I'd want but having it hidden away means that isn't a problem. The mechanism of the switch is quite large hence the limited installation places.

·
Registered
384 Posts
the switch didn't look that bad... I imagened a airplane like switch with a transparrent plastic cover, like on Top Gun when he shoots the missiles.

I've read somewhere that anykind of 3-way switch will do for the Haldex, and that the wiring is the only thing that count

·
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice one Rupo!

Race mode is the best setting, I've been using it for 2 weeks now. I did swap back to sport during really wet roads though. I had a significant understeer moment on a roundabout. I thought it strange because I was in race but I flicked it back to sport to be 'safe' lol. No danger but the front just went straight on during a sharp turn. I'm not sure it would have done that in sport... weird? Maybe because no power was there to pull the front round?

I really like the position of my switch but it's bigger than it needs to be. I'm going to look at modifying it at some point.

EDIT: Which setting did you go for with the SS? I found the 40% reduction too extreme (wimp).
Allo mate,
I know what you mean about swiching it back to sport to be in safe mode, las if 'race mode' turns it into some kind of overpowered drifting machine! Im completely confused as to how the whole thing works, all I know is that there is a massive difference between sport and race. Quite interested/apprehensive/excited about trying it in the wet or greasy weather.

I'll get some pics up of my switch, theyl be rubbish quality cos of my phone but theyl do.

I went for the maximum short shift. Does take some getting used to though.

the switch didn't look that bad... I imagened a airplane like switch with a transparrent plastic cover, like on Top Gun when he shoots the missiles.
Tut, I should have got one of those!

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
2,548 Posts
When driving hard, you can really feel the car pushing you forward in race mode, especially from a standing start. I thought my incident was a bit freaky. The car literally just went straight when I turned the wheel. I wasn't going slow obviously but it still caught me out and I'm pretty used to the handling characteristics now. Maybe we should all rag our cars on soaking wet roads and see if understeer is a regular occurrence on sharp turns?

:driver:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts