VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The R has been in storage for about 7 - 8 months now but I have a trackday coming up next month, something I booked way back last year when it was cheap. So iv been giving it a full service and adding 1 or 2 extras along the way. Today's task was to service the Haldex 4wd and upgrade. Id already bought everything in advance for doing the various jobs, although its only done around 26k I thought as I was upgrading the controller id do an oil and filter change on the Haldex unit as well.

Having the controller off and changing the filter gives you a bit more room to play with but not much ,its still so unbelievably tight in there especially if your laid on your back with the car only a couple of feet up in the air. You really do need ramps but I had all day to play so took my time. To say the service interval started life @80K for the Haldex then was revised to 40K the colour and thickness of my oil was shocking. It was a jet black colour and as thin as water the filter was just as bad. After reading various posts about servicing id decided to do mine every 20k anyway for what the parts cost V a new Haldex unit I don't think its worth risking.

Id purchased a filter tool from eBay which for £10 isn't bad if your only going to use it once in a blue moon, its a bit filly to start with but once you have the hang of it its not bad for a 1 off job !.

Getting the oil into the Haldex unit is such a fiddly job, does anyone know if you can fill the unit via the inspection hole as getting to this with a cork gun isn't bad I thought, as for filling it upside down then trying to remove the nozzle and put the drain plug back in without spilling any is impossible. I managed to spill very little actually but still a dumb idea if you ask me.

Now on to the bad bits, as I was laying there on my back having a rest and just gazing about I noticed that one of my coils on the suspension didn't look right and on closer inspection it had snapped !!! God knows how long its been like this, I have no idea as iv never noticed anything or felt any difference but it has snapped where it locates into the swing arm and was free to pop out at any time. So laying there wondering what to do about it I then also notice my prop shaft at the rear is also missing one of the nuts and washers !!

What else is going to be next I ask ???

If it were under normal conditions I would just say sod it and have all new suspension but money is tight at the moment because of a new house so replacing the coil at the moment is my only option so next job is to find out how much VW want for a replacement coil, anyone know ???.

I may try a quick post on on UKmkivs and see if anyone had bought the components as its a popular 4Mo upgrade.

Id also recomend people go and check the condition of there rear springs just incase, maybe a 1 off but better to be safe than sorry ! :driver:

Cheers

Matt

·
4,328 Posts
bloody hell mate thats not good. May be worth ringing around a free breakers to see if they have any r32s, audi tt 3.2 or a3 3.2 to see if they will sell you a coil.

·
Registered
50 Posts
If ya going on the uk-mkivs give Jay aka Gtifly a shout i know he is selling his old suspention from his r32 and i dont htink its done many miles .....just an idea mate might save a few quid rather than getting new ones

·
305 Posts
this spring issue is getting a common fault, read this spring breaking problem a few times now! should be a factory recall! and a lot of these r32s had low mileage.

·
544 Posts
just done the arbs and guess what my nsr spring is broken n the same place as yours.

WTF is going on with these

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh dear thats not good is it !!

Halifax VW are gona love us 2 in 1 month :argh:, they should have the part for next day unless I got the last one :laugh:

cheers
matt

G

·
mattcony said:
Oh dear thats not good is it !!

Halifax VW are gona love us 2 in 1 month :argh:, they should have the part for next day unless I got the last one :laugh:

cheers
matt
Ok this is spooky - somebody needs to work out the probability here:

Two Mat(t)s, both with R32s, both with broken springs, both in Halifax and both on this site :top:

Hope you both get it sorted soon :151:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts