VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've got a mk4 (65k miles), a couple of times recently the pressure has built up in the coolant system and it has dumped everything out of it.

The coolant warning light comes on a few minutes later there is a pop, the reservoir steams and it empties everything out through the overflow. I stopped quickly, topped up the system and left it overnight, the next day same thing happened again after 15 minutes or so. The garage suspects its a problem with the head gasket.

Any tips for good places to get this work done (good quality and not a rip off) in north east London?

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
158 Posts
Change your coolant cap first, common vw problem... Also a complete fluid drain and refill and bleed would be my first job, for the garage to point towards a head gasket change without any other symptoms is poor! Also check the thermostat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alright much appreciated overboost. I spoke to the garage again, they tell me that it is not the cap because when you remove the cap there is continuous pressure which is pushing the water up and out, apparently it should be a short burst of pressure and no more. they tell me that this shows the pressure is coming from the engine which is why they think head gasket change is needed. they also quote £2.5k which is crazy

·
South East Organiser
6,827 Posts
Mine did same couple year ago. except didn't dump out loads of coolant just a little. Thermostat stuck shut

Id certainly whip out your thermostat first and drop in jug of boiling see if it opens before taking the engine apart!

Reactions: MJVR6

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yep, replace the thermostat, worth trying that before shelling out for a head gasket change... Hope it is something simple

·
Registered
228 Posts
They are having a laugh at £2.5k - when I blew up my lotus it cost significantly less than that at a London main dealer and they replaced the rad, pump and a fair few hoses.

·
Semi-Advanced Member
4,197 Posts
2.5k it's crazy money... As a guide I had engine out, new chains, guides, clutch, fly wheel and cam install for under 2k!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good stuff, thanks guys, this gives me some hope. I'll check out the thermostat and see if that does the trick.

Yeah £2.5 feels like way to much, I got the impression he didn't want to take the job

·
19,403 Posts
As said previously, head gasket failure on the 3.2 V6 is almost unheard of

1 - 13 of 13 Posts