VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
4,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be old news to a lot of you but I was unaware of it and only found out after forking out for a new set of headlights, so I thought I would share.

In the mk4 standard xenon headlamps there is a metal tab that can be raised up and lowered down to convert the headlights from RHD-LHD. This tab as with anything on our lights isn't the easiest to get to but is a relatively easy DIY job for anyone travelling into Europe so you can see the road ahead.

This is a link to the manual I found, it isn't the clearest to understand from the description and pictures but it all makes sense when you open up the back of the headlight.

http://volkswagen.workshop-manuals.com/golf-mk4/index.php?id=2245

I hope this comes in handy and saves people making the same mistake I did.

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
Topic Pinned Steff. I changed the title so people can find it as a sticky, hope you don't mind

·
1,538 Posts
Cool. Saved the page as I'm in Europe once or twice a year and don't normally bother

·
5,496 Posts
Just thought I'd add, this switch inside the headlights actually flattens the cut off of the light beam only. It doesn't actually change the beam pattern from RHD to LHD.

This lever is basically replaces the need to stick those headlamp stickers onto the headlamp glass for continental driving.

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
1,237 Posts
went to do this while I was on the Eurotunnel last week, gave up trying to reach in and see where I had to move it, need mirror and angled pliers next time I think, unless I have missed a trick.

·
Flaccid Member
1,835 Posts
same for mk5 as well, lever is quite a way in used a pencil to change mine

·
5,496 Posts
It's a real faff trying to get to that lever if the lights are still on the car tbh. Not the best of design by a long long shot! Better off just sticking on some temp headlamp stickers to flatten the beam

1 - 8 of 8 Posts