VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Senior Onion collector
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just traded my 2002 Passat W8 for a 2006 R32, 3 dr in silver-11,000 miles VWSH etc-strangely with cloth trim, but I like it :confused:
Only had the car 3 days but I'm already impresssed-wet weather grip is especially gd-was going to keep it standard.....

But may be difficult!!

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
5,616 Posts
Welcome to the forum Daz.

With all of us eggin' you on, you may find your R doesn't stay stardard for long.... nothing major tho, just a Milltek, remap... oops, there I go again!

·
Senior Onion collector
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was thinking about Milltek back box-air filter of some sort & the Haldex Gen2 upgrade instead of 19" wheels/ tyres.

What you guys think??!

·
.:R32OC Resident Pervert
7,935 Posts
Hi Daz,

Welcome as well,

Sure you will gets lots of advice on here.

·
1,184 Posts
Welcome to the site, if you want to stay completely standard you are in the WRONG place! The slogan should say R32oc....the subtle mods get into you!

·
.:R32OC Resident Pervert
7,935 Posts
Well mine is standard ........ONLY basic mods

Vented front grills, delocked, blue doors led's.............................

·
1,149 Posts
Welcome to the forum, full of endless information of how to get rid of your money faster than you earn it!!!!!!

·
1,084 Posts
Hi Daz and welcome.

Personally speaking I would go for the Haldex upgrade and never consider 19's, as big rims are only gonna affect ride and handling in a negative way. Depends on what you want out of the car I suppose.

We need pics btw :D

·
Senior Onion collector
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again folks for the warm welcome,not replied as been in Amsterdam for a week for my B'day turned as 35 today :) taxed the 32 yesterday as I was putting my Private reg back on-£400 yearly I nearly fell over in the DVLA, W8 was only £205 last year........why is the government trying to drive me off the road!!!!!
I've got a few spare quid and awesome is half hr drive away-would 19's affect the drive that much they are 19x8.5J with 35 offset?? Or would I be better with a K&N induction kit & Haldex Gen 2 upgrade-off work tomorrow so some ideas would be useful....

Cheers
Daz

·
1,084 Posts
My thinking on non-standard sized rims: (feel free to disagree)

The ride and handling engineers at VW have spent millions on the chassis setup. I use my R as a fast-practical road car for carrying my family around, which is what it was designed for.

If I was setting up my R for trackdays I would make changes, or if I was young free and single.

I'm the first to admit that bigger rims and lowered cars look great. It actually really bugs me that you can't get many aftermarket rims in OE 7.5inch width. The weight saving by using quality aftermarket rims is what appeals to me.

I have a number of friends who are chassis engineers in the industry, and they know a lot more about setting up a car than I do, so my opinion is... leave it to the professionals. (ie VW)

I'm not trying to preach to anyone about what to do with their car - 'different strokes for different folks' and all that. If you switch to 19 x 8.5 rims, you will affect the ride and handling - whether you think it is for the better is entirely your opinion. I would go for engine modes (eg intake and exhaust) first, then maybe Haldex upgrade.

One more thing.....

PICS!

·
5,616 Posts
Daz, my recommendation would be a remap, Milltek exhaust and possibly a cold air intake (or just a performance air filter). Next would be the Haldex upgrade.

·
Senior Onion collector
4,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Personally looked at the wheels today-they do suit the R32 really really well, best price was £1300 with Avon ZZ3's I think? But your comments do make sense-also spotted a set of BBS RS's same as standard size & a lot cheaper too.......if I went for these the Miltek could go on too :)
Really suprised at all the attention the R32 gets I thought it was as discreet as the W8, but still havn't seen a MK5 on my travels-can anyone explain how to post pics??

·
5,616 Posts
get your pictures uploaded to photobucket (it's free)

then just copy the link below each picture and paste it in here... it'll be the link with
at either end.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts