VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys and girls!

I currently own a Focus St2 which I am part exchanging for a 57 Reg R32 fully loaded on the 15th of September.

My focus has just on 300bhp and I was wondering if there is anything you can do to the golf R32 to make an already fast car quicker?

Jim:rock:

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
2,548 Posts
Hi chap, welcome to the forum.

Try APS. They're one of the best for NA tuning. They do a performance pack (R300) which takes the car to around 300BHP plus quite a few handling upgrades.

·
1,084 Posts
Hi Jim,

Why the change?

I've just gone from a Scooby WRX to an R32, and gotta say I'm loving the lack of turbo-lag and the plentiful torque.

Welcome along.......

James

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
davefish said:
Hi chap, welcome to the forum.

Try APS. They're one of the best for NA tuning. They do a performance pack (R300) which takes the car to around 300BHP plus quite a few handling upgrades.
Cheers for the info bud!

Tokyo, i just couldnt stand the ford build quality anymore:s:

I have been driving a mk5 Gti at work alot and love the build quality the ride and everything about it.

I have been looking at these companies that offer supercharger upgrades are they a good idea or am i asking for trouble?

Cheers,

Jim

·
1,084 Posts
My personal preference is Supercharged, due to lack of turbo lack.

I know Turbo charger lag can be reduced by chipping etc, or by having sequential turbos (one small, one big).

But as a great man once said... "I cannae change the laws of physics, Captain"

ie belt driven vs exhaust gas driven.

I may be stirring a wasps nest here as turbo kits seem more popular on the R than superchargers.

The VF engineering s/c'd VR6 Corrado's seemed reliable, just pricey.

Just my 2p's.

I would like to try the twincharged Golf, shame it's only a 1.4. Maybe they are just testing the technology, and it will be developed further.

Does anyone remember the old Lancia Delta rally car that was made with both supercharger and turbocharger???? I remember seeing a shot of the engine bay once. It looked like you needed a Hanes manual made by Ordnance Survey to find your way around.

PS I would like to point out that I am not a Trekkie
(For the Young 'uns on here the above quote is old school Star-Trek lingo)

·
2,548 Posts
I agree with James (TD), the SC route gives a really nice linear delivery and sounds great but to my knowledge there isn't a proven SC route for the MKV (please correct me if I'm wrong). At the moment the Turbo is leading the way, largely due to a company called HGP (HPA in the US). Their kits are meant to be very good but they're not cheap!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
davefish said:
I agree with James (TD), the SC route gives a really nice linear delivery and sounds great but to my knowledge there isn't a proven SC route for the MKV (please correct me if I'm wrong). At the moment the Turbo is leading the way, largely due to a company called HGP (HPA in the US). Their kits are meant to be very good but they're not cheap!
David,

I have been speaking to Simon @ MC Racing who supply the RUF Supercharger Kit its about £2700 Not inc P&P and will give about 320bhp.

He said the DSG and supercharger combo works a treat.

Im really tempted but im not sure i can do this to a 57 Reg car!

Jim

·
2,808 Posts
My cars 'apparently' running about 300bhp (need to get it on the rollers). Its had new cams, full exhaust and chipped. Duno how much all of it would cost to have done tho.

do superchargers/turbos give about an extra 70bhp then? Would mine go up to 370 or would it go higher cos its already modded?

·
2,548 Posts
JimboR32 said:
David, I have been speaking to Simon @ MC Racing who supply the RUF Supercharger Kit its about £2700 Not inc P&P and will give about 320bhp. He said the DSG and supercharger combo works a treat. Im really tempted but im not sure i can do this to a 57 Reg car!
Interesting Jim. I know what you mean about a brand new car, I haven't decided whether to go FI as yet. If I did it wouldn't be in the first year of ownership. Do they have any reliability info? I.e. These customers have been running the SC on their MkV's for x amount of time without issue...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
davefish said:
Interesting Jim. I know what you mean about a brand new car, I haven't decided whether to go FI as yet. If I did it wouldn't be in the first year of ownership. Do they have any reliability info? I.e. These customers have been running the SC on their MkV's for x amount of time without issue...
I Donno Dave i will have a look into it abit more and let you know.

Jim

·
1,432 Posts
The most respected turbo systems for the R32 both MkIV and MkV have got to be the HPA Motorsport offerings.

Just check out the details, available in the UK from Vagtech who are based near Leighton Buzzard I myself have the HPA FT360 turbo kit currently sat in boxes in the spare room waiting to be fitted :)

Here are some links to HPA reviews and info on their turbo kits:

HPA FT-series reviews
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3106368

HPA FT575 video
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2812487

I would also like to point out that many have commented how the HPA range of turbo systems have literally little or no turbo lag and the power is 'buttery smooth' in its delivery. Just check out the reviews for yourself :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers Very Cherry.

I picked up my 32 on saturday and i am truly 100% happy with it.

What a fantastic car it makes my old focus ST (07) look like a shed.:puke:

The DSG gearbox complements the fantastic engine I cannot believe I got 400 miles out of a full tank.

I am in two minds do I modify it or do I leave it the way it came.

Jim

1 - 14 of 14 Posts