VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've had my MK V R32 for about a month now and, like the rest of you, I love it. Oh yeah, I've managed to log about 1800 miles in that time.

It's my daily driver and commuter -- I drive from Long Beach to Downtown Los Angeles every day in it when not riding my BMW bikes (sure beats the train -- another story altogether!).

Anyhow, I've had a long line of Audis (A4 B5 1.8T w/S4 interior kit, B6 S4, 8P A3 2.0t) and a lot of other cars, but never a VW. I happened upon this gem after much research and a gentle nudge from the ever-funny Jeremy Clarkson (BMW 130 v R32 anyone?).

There are a few forums out there, but this is the only that I've joined. I suppose I don't have much interest in general VW chat that isn't (Mk IV or V) R32 related.

Recently I've been successful in reducing my car "stable". I feel pangs of guilt in having three cars and two bikes. :xD I sold my Jeep, and now I'm focused on the R32 and the "other German car".

After many years of having perpetual project cars, I decided that I'd only buy highly sought after factory cars and deal with it. That's certainly been true with my SLK55 AMG that I regard as nearly perfect (though considering selling).

So, I've started down the slippery slope of car modification with the beloved R32. I recently swapped the factory program out for the GIAC flash upgrade along with some nifty VF Engineering urethane motor/tranny mounts (DSG) and their velocity-stack short-ram setup air filter. I'm impressed with the change, but didn't much appreciate the initial NVH changes. It did rattle horribly the first 200 miles, but then the urethane/aluminum interface found peace and I must admit that it is near stock again! Near stock...oh yes, I did the "DynoMat Extreme Door kit" on both doors to quell some nagging sounds and I'm quite happy. For those of you with reports of odd sounds and rattles, I suggest you simply apply this when you have a spare half-day.

So, this leaves me wanting a host of other changes. Right now, I think I'll go with the typical Schrick big cams and headers. I fear forced-induction is on the way. In some ways this reminds me of my projects cars of the past. I doubt "good enough" will ever be...

Cheers!

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
2,548 Posts
Hi chap, welcome to the forum. Is there a noticable difference in performance with the remap and filter?

Post some pics if possible ;-)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Throttle response is better and you can feel it pulling harder through midrange and top-end. GIAC and VF Engineering have a dyno chart; Nik Saran (VF owner) says the cars will repeatedly dyno with +12 or 13 AWHP and I believe him. That's a difference you can feel. I'll snap a few pictures later.

The motor/tranny mounts were a complete impulse "counter buy". :eek:

I ran solid motor mounts in past cars and was suspicious of the claim that these would "settle in". They do however (he offered a money back guarantee). For those wanting less engine movement (especially with Launch Control use, auto-x runs / time trials) consider these. They are beautifully made but a bit expensive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love the sound of the stock setup -- the muted growl under wide-open throttle is very nice. It is something of a quasi-exotic that makes a VR6 unique.

That's gone now. It still sounds nice, but it can't be described as muted. Coupled with the slightly increased gear whine from the DSG, it is a different experience. I'm not sure that I'd say better; in fact it is a touch coarse for my taste. Incidentally, some cars have a lot more DSG whine induced that makes it sound vaguely similar to a supercharger. My car isn't quite that loud. To be clear, I like that sound quite a lot -- it's the intake roar I'm not so sure about.

Unless I go the turbocharging route, I won't change it back (to stock). I'm getting used to it, and the numbers are worth it.

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
5,616 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum

1 - 6 of 6 Posts