VW Golf R32 Forum banner
201 - 220 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
Mk5 Golf R32 , black 3 door 2006
780 Posts
I will look at mine tomorrow . Camber change will not move the bottom damper to hub mount in relation to the drive shaft and its boot , but will help with wheel clearance on the spring , except you will want 2 degrees of negative, which will bring the rim closer to the spring. As for the lower platform , the spring pack can move up, but the ,lower spring seat is fixed to the damper tube , and I think it is that seat which is closest to the boot , in which case , we are both a bit on the, err, buggered side. Like you , stripping drive shaft joints is not my favourite job( read pain in the bum ) .
In the end , if there really is a problem that requires the platform to be machined off the tube and a new one tig- welded on, then AST ought to step up,to the plate . My plan ‘b’ is to go back to something I had originally planned and use the rear lower arms I made about a year ago which enabled the coilover to locate on the arm rather than the hub . ( rather like the MK7 golf platform ) . That would fix the bolt problem but might cause the spring to foul the inner wing . I will have a look at mine in the next few days . If I go quiet, you will know that , using the words of the Apollo 13 crew, ‘ Houston , we have a problem ‘

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
The seat came off mine no problem. It's a tight fit but pops out easily enough. Pretty sure i saw a slot in the seats in your pics which indicates that they are the same as mine.

Yeah, ast SHOULD do something but i don't really feel like waiting another 3 months if i can help it. I've sent a drawing out to a few places for a spacer, we'll see what solutions that produces next week. I must say i sorta think drawing a whole seat would be a better idea if i am going this far.... why do i fear this will be the same $500 that i am saving by not buying the ast drop links lol.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Ah. You have obviously looked at your a lot more closely than I did mine. If the seat does come off, then , as you say, it ought to be possible to re engineer new ones. Take your point about a 3 month wait. I could not tolerate that kind of delay . Bit of an investigate for me tomorrow methinks . Thanks for you comments . Really helpful.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
No worries. It's sorta nice to know you're sorta in the same predicament as i am. It confirms i didn't scew things up lol.

Got my "rapid prototyping" material this morning.

White Wood Automotive tire Drinkware Gas

Will weld a stack together, cut a slot in it and stick it under the seat to confirm the body length i need then i'll draw up a new seat.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
Lol, when i guessed an inch needed, i was damned close!

Hand Circuit component Wood Gadget Passive circuit component

Basically this is what i need to draw up as 1 piece now. This gives probably close to 10mm clearance to boot. Maybe overkill but as noted above, there's plenty of room to move the spring pack up.

Table Wood Gas Electric blue Hardwood

I DID however notice how little room there is to the body of the car! Damn! I think i will be forced to "create" some clearance there....ie break out the big hammer. Something i can see not being viable in your case.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Couple of things, . Thanks for the washers photo. Very helpful. The second one is the clearance to the inner wing. In an ideal world, the top mount would be re engineered to offset it outwards by 10mm . Snag with that would be that it would introduce a quite serious side load on the mount . Other option might be to relocate the bottom mount onto the top of the hub using the bolt that holds the camber arm . That would move the bottom ‘ outwards’ quite a bit and give more inner wing clearance . I cannot help feeling that AST a have designed and engineered these rear coilovers using a 2 wheel drive Mk5/6 Golf and assumed that all will be well on the 4 wheel drive , overlooking the amount of room the drive shaft boot occupies . As for the wheel arch clearance , I guess that they worked on the premise that close is not touching, so is o.k . As for the hammer , hmm, not quite my preferred option .

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #207 ·
Yeah, you're likely correct on AST's assumptions. One other thought i had before i go thru the expense and effort of new seats is the connection between trailing arm and knuckle. Maybe one can loosen the bolts and adjust them such that the knuckle is rotated a bit and the needed clearance to the cv boot is achieved. The amount of interferance is not the same side to side which leads me to believe there's something to be gained there tho. But i feel that is grasping at straws and there's no way there's that much slop in the holes to truely clear. I will try it though.

And wholeheartedly agree that the whole hammer clearancing idea is far from ideal. In my case however, the car is beyond sellable as a rare R32 so it doesn't matter. But in yours....yeah, i wouldn't go caveman on it either!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
So, i've drawn up the new spring seat and sent it off to a machinist. He's sayin no more than $150/pair. Would you like me to have him make 4? I wouldn't think shipping to the uk would be that bad for something so small.

I'm waiting for a timeline but i'm guessing a few weeks at most right now.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Hi.That is very kind of you , but as I have a mill, I can make my own if I need to. Not had chance to look today , so will probably be Wednesday before I discover the worst .

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
Ahh, that sucks that you've got interferance too. Getting close to figuring out a fabrication solution here. Will keep you in the loop. The goal is to have chips flying while i am gone.

I'll gladly add a pair for you into the mix, should reduce the cost a bit.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #215 ·
So, the spring seat situation is now being sorted so started getting things ready for stripping the passat. Junkyard 3.6 is now sitting in the racking next to the 3.2 and i got the r32 outta the workshop....assisted by the passat lol

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle

Gotta do a couple minor checks on the passat and then attempt to clean it up a bit before i die of some disease caused by dirt..... holy crap this thing is dirty.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive design

Car Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #216 ·
I swear the passat has 100lbs of dirt packed in it...

Tryin to get the exhaust n propshaft out, but of course, can't get at the downpipe bolts from below. Need to get the intake off to get at the connection. Which means you need to get the hpfp off, lower fuel rail out and the ignition coils out. Fun it is not lol, thanks VW.....

With luck, the end of the weekend will see the front and rear axles out. I doubt i'll have it totally parted out before i leave but no worries, my trailer is buried under snow for a few more weeks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #218 ·
So

Much

Dirt.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Wood Vehicle Automotive wheel system

Not e en greasy salty crust, just straight up dirt. This car clearly lived it's life down a dirt road. Everything i touch is like this.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #219 ·
Let's hear it for time change induced insomnia...

2 things left; get the fuel pump out and empty the tank, and separate engine and trans.

After that, somehow drag it onto my trailer n scrap the SOB.

Car Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Light Motor vehicle Tread

Car Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

201 - 220 of 258 Posts