VW Golf R32 Forum banner
241 - 258 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #242 ·
Hmmm, we'll see. I've found the fmsi number for both pads and i am starting to dig further. The results are that i am finding suitable pads for both calipers now. I must say i lean towards keeping the single piston calipers if it's feasible. I had single pistons on my previous car with 280mm rotors and was never wanting when i got good pads in there. And the racer i get advice from is still using single pistons on his mk5s (but they are the smaller brakes than r32 so different calipers). So i already know that for what i do, the singles will be fine.

As for the weight, you're right about the caliper weights but they both pale in comparison to the rotors. A 2 piece setup is probably a far more efficient way of lightening things up.

And again, the wheel/tire size. I did some checking and 17" hankook rs4 is $100/tire less than the 18". And i will kill a set in a season, if i am lucky.

From a $ standpoint, the best solution is the r32 brakes, if i can actually GET the appropriate pads. Though i guess the same holds true with the 18zs. As we all know these days, there is a huge difference between finding stuff on the internet and getting them into your hands.

I have flexability tho right now as i now have 2 sets of both. The passat came with the same brakes as the r32, just not painted. And they were replaced by the previous owner in an attempt to get the car thru a safety before he gave up on it.

·
Registered
Mk5 Golf R32 , black 3 door 2006
780 Posts
Fair point .Use what you have and see how it all works out . Snag is that the R32 is a heavy old beast so dumping All that kinetic energy in to a pair of rotors every few seconds in the track gives your brakes a serious workout .

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #244 ·
Well, here's one option for making life easier on the brakes lol. Break out the drill bits!!!

I mean, i have a roll cage so i guess i could do that and not end up with the death trap that thing is now lol.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
Well, nice to know i haven't forgotten alllll my mechanical design knowledge and skill.. got my spring seats installed and while the amount of clearance is not exactly huge, there's no contact....

Automotive tire Rim Cylinder Gas Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
So, i've been bustin my butt gettin things done at the house. The heat (and mosquitos!) suddenly arrived this week, 30⁰ and the leaves aren't even on the trees yet! That said i am returning to this now. My buddy popped by to look at the state of the bodywork, we'll get on it late next week.

I've also got the 3.6 ecu immobilizer deletion done....and that's about it lol.

Gotta deal with fuel pump wiring and finishing up the fire suppression before we crack on with the bodywork.

I am on the fence about doing the actual paint in my garage or go to a nearby bodyshop. I think it'll be a $ related decision. Lots to do on the house yet and some massive bills coming so it doesn't look great....

At any rate, pics should be forthcoming soon.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #249 ·
Took it easy on myself and eased myself back into it tonight. Finished up the fuel pump wiring and worked out the central dashboard support. The only aspect for the 3.6 wiring that i need to sort is wether or not i need the secondary o2, but that's all in the engine bay.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Car

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle

Next thing to work out before i get into the bodywork is deal with plumbing in the fire supression.

Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Machine Auto part

Baby steps....

·
Registered
Mk5 Golf R32 , black 3 door 2006
780 Posts
Baby steps perhaps but real progress. I thought that the post cat lambda sensors were only to check that the cats were working, but it may be that they form part of closed loop fuelling feedback loop.Knowing VW they will do . So you will probably have to run them of staying o.e ECU .

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #251 ·
Yeah, i dunno. Seems silly to have the post cat o2s doing something for fuelling. A few thoughts about it:

They're narrowband secondaries and it's na... how much difference are they gonna make? afrs aren't as "critical" as they are in FI..... yeah, a bit of a stretch but still not totally invalid??

All the places i have spoken to about 3.6 tuning are in the states and the EPA has been fining the snot out of tuning companies for emissions issues and engine tuning. I may not be getting the absolute truth in the matter

I DID drive the passat with them disconnected and it felt no different.

All of this said, i have the harness for them perfectly in tact and if i need to add them, i'd much rather now as opposed to after it's all built, if only to save the bloody knuckles....

In the end, i guess better to add them and then test my way out of them later as i just don't know the implications with certainty.

The question then becomes do i use the passat or r32 cats? The passat had them stuffed right up in the engine bay whearas the r32 has them tucked below much further downstream... i suspect there's no chance at fitting the passat ones but dunno. It'd be nice to have all the heat in one spot tho. But i see cat delete being much easier with the r32 solution....

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #252 ·
Fire extinguisher in and plumbed on the interior. I have a nozzle ppinted at my feet and another at my legs/torso. The system has enough nozzles for 2 people so i may expand on that in the future. I got the bulkhead fitting thru the firewall but hard to know where to go in the engine bay at the moment. Gotta make a very simple bracket in the raintray for the external pull and i can't do anything for the internal pull till i design the center console.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior

This was the last thing on the list before bodywork but then i saw that i had forgotten a harness anchor point. Of course it's the inboard one on the tunnel. I bet the propshaft will hafta get moved.... insert swearing here.....

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
So, it's not dead yet lol. Plugged everything in and tested it with vagcom. And except all the warnings for missing lights, things look promising. Was only able to do a couple of output tests given how few things are conected but the fuel pump and leak detection pump are working at least.

Should be able to start on prettying it up this weekend. But i gotta spend time on my audi, who's 26yo radiator shattered cuz i looked at it wrong last week.... cars.....

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #254 ·
Sigh. So it's a beautiful long weekend here, the plan was to have a fun time drinkin beer and starting the bodywork with my buddy. Saturday afyernoon a massive storm ripped through here (and most of the rest of Ontario first) and basically smoked the power grid.... luckily no damage to my house but lots of BIG trees down and i'm likely waiting a few more days till power comes back

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #256 ·
So, after a week with no power and waiting for my buddy the free up, finally got started on the really crappy part of this project: bodywork.

1st observation: i do NOT have a future in sheet metal repair lol. I warped the snot outta things because i don't have the patience.

2nd observation: we're not the first to have a go at this car.

All this to say is that because my buddy is doing this in exchange for us feeding him when he's here working (and he lives almost an hour away), i suspect this will take most of the summer.... no matter, i have MANY other things to keep me occupied in the meantime lol

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #258 ·
Last night's progress

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

This should be the last application of filler on this side, needs to get sanded still but the shape is there now. It gets a bit complex at the bottom. Probably no progress till the weekend if my buddy can sneak away. I need to scuff the rest of the car. The hood has a small hole at the leading edge. I could drive out the the yard an hour away and take my chances at finding a good hood, or i could fill the rough spot with jb weld.... given how far from actual paint we are (the roof will take MANY nights, thanks to my lack of patience with the welder lol) i think i'll do nothing now and see if i can get out that way soon. On the fence about the fenders now too. May see if there's actually good ones at the yard. If that is the case, then literally the only bolt on panel not replaced will be the hatch! 300,000kms, whatcha gonna do?! Lol.

Minor victory yesterday as well. For the life of me, i could not get the hatch release to work. Either from the interior button or the handle on the trunk. Fuel filler was fine tho. Decided to say screw the comfort module and wired hatch directly to power. Done. I will do the same for the fuel filler and completely remove the comfort module now. Simpler is better lol.

241 - 258 of 258 Posts