VW Golf R32 Forum banner
261 - 280 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #261 ·
So, slow n steady. Had some massive house bills to deal with and work to be done but tryin to light a fire under my butt to get this done before it turns cold again.

As i dug into sanding the rest of the car down, it became apparent the fenders and hood weren't gonna make it. So, the finest aftermarket sheet metal has replaced them. Finally getting the badgeless grille sent as well. My goal is to have everything not related to the rust repairs/patched sanded back by next week.

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

The first and pretty much only engine mod arrived as well, the oil cooler. I think the only other thing i am going to get will be the aux radiator. It's hard to have too much cooling on a track car....

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Tire

I found a company that makes reasonably priced track pads for both the stock and 18z calipers which is nice. And i am picking up a rear wing this weekend, just a simple single element aluminum one, but certainly adequate for what i need. The scary part is that the plywood for the splitter is going to cost me more! And yes, plywood. Honestly, the best material for it if there's no profile. Relatively cheap and it splinters when it gets hit and won't shred a tire, unlike glass or carbon...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
The panels are "interesting". The parts you see for the shape is lining up well, everything to do with the bolt holes.....ooooo weee they need a lot of tweaking lol.

Got the hatch knocked down just now. Holy crap this is a very dramatic colour (it didn't show well as recieved thanks to shit paintjobs before). Got thru the various coats and down to the original. This is the oe paint sanded to 80 grit and then cleaned with acetone. So a pretty matte finish. Pretty sure i don't want to make it a gloss finish!!! Probably doesn't show very well from a phone camera to probably you lookin at it on a phone but damn it's very dramatic in this finish!!! Very cool.

Hood Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Wood

Rectangle Wood Line Paint Material property

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Badgeless grille finally arrived. It's supposed to have a filler for the hood notch but it was missing. I'll cut a bit off the old hood i guess. Bumper filler included but needs some "adjustment"

Loosely slapped together

Car Automotive parking light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille

I do like that significanly more than the stock front end, i must say.

I also got my rear wing on the weekend. Funnily enough, this originally came from the guy that got me into building a racecar over 10 years ago. A $40 aluminum wing that was on the mk4 jetta that won several championships.... ya don't need fancy $$$ crap if you can drive better than everyone else lol. Gotta work out a mounting solution. I have seen said champion's solution being worked on for his mk5 but i think it may be too elaborate for my use. We shall see later this week. I think.

Wood Table Gas Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
Idea for wing mount sorted and material aquired. But first, 3rd brake light hole welded up. Getting better with sheet metal. Less warping. I used compressed air after every third tack. The area is also a lot stronger than say, the middle of a quarter panel, so that helped too i think.

Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Tire

Work just gave me the stupidest time consuming pointless task so not sure how successful i'll be this week at getting things done on this, but i'll keep tryin....

·
Registered
Mk5 Golf R32 , black 3 door 2006
871 Posts
I agree with the front end appearance . As for the wing, serious piece of kit and , as you say, needs a rigid mount as those things can create some serious downforce at speed . It really will be an awesome beast when you have done !

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
Well, elaborate wing mount it is. Tried my idea and it was as stiff as a wet noodle. They way the factory teams did it was a frame on the inside of the glass and holes thru the glass to the mounts. That is a fairly intricate bit of packaging for everything to line up. Making it more difficult is the fact i don't have the lexan yet for the tailgate.

I know i am not gonna spend the hundreds if not thousands for the Seat Supercopa mounts for a $40 wing.

I think this is the world telling me that aero can wait.....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 · (Edited)
Onwards and upwards. I have completed sanding the clear off everything as well as getting a few layers of crappy paint jobs. She looks pretty horrific right now lol.
Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Car Motor vehicle

Wheel Car Vehicle Tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

It may look a hell of a lot worse soon. I just went thru the factory body repair manual and learned something very interesting about the roof. At the factory, the longitudinal joint is a laser weld. One assumes correctly that is not reproducible at home! However, they appeared to have thought about this and the factory repair manual calls for a roof replacement to be bonded in along the sides. Spot welded in the windshield frame and hatch jam. Ie: no visible welds and no warping of the roof cuz no heat.

I am awaiting a cost for a replacement panel as that will be a hell of a lot easier/quicker to fix than bondoing the snot out of my "repair"... if it's not a squillion dollars.....

Edit: panel is not cheap, but not a squillion. However, local dealer says it's back ordered with no ETA.... that dealer is pretty crap tho.... the hunt begins....

Lol, called a dealer futher afield. Parts guy said there's one in north america. In wisconsin. He then warned me to not buy it. It is not in a sturdy package and the packing/shipping guys DGAF. He GUARANTEED it would arrive in a less than stellar condition and i would be on the hook because special order.

So, if i wanna got this route, off to the scrap yard with my sawzall, cut of a roof atcthe pillars and then surgically separate at home. The upside is the pice at the yard is $65. So not terrible if i fail at separating. My buddy doing the bodywork got 'rona last night so it'll be a coupla more weeks till he's back probably so i guess i could try in the meantime.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I think most of us on here admire your bravery and commitment . Top work and wonderful ambition. I have done a roof panel swap on a Peugeot 205 GTI and, like you , chopped the entire roof from a diner car in a yard and then separated the roof panel from the roof frame . Removing all the spot welds without damaging the really flimsy panel was the most difficult part . I am not the greatest metal worker on earth, but the whole job took me a week .

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
Yeah, not a job i relish doing, but i think the result will be better. Will go to the yard and cut a roof off and see how easily/cleanly i get it all separated. Most difficult part will be grinding the laser weld down but not the sheet metal i need to use. I should measure the thickness, i doubt it's more than 1mm thick.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #271 ·
If wasting time was a paid orofession i would be a very wealthy man. An hour drive to the scrap yard. An hour to locate and strip the interior roof panels out. Reach for the sawzall for the cut. Dead battery. It must not have sat in the charger correctly last night.

Cue much swearing. And then an hour drive home. I get to do it again tomorrow...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
Well, that was interesting...

Get out there and started cutting, thinking it would be 20 minutes and then get someone to help carry it out.

VW had other ideas. The outer skin cut like a hot knife thru butter. The inner structures tho..... melted a number of brand new blades and drained both my batteries and i only got thhtough 2-1/2 pillars. I hung my head in defeat just as a crew from the fire department arrived to practice vehicle extraction techniques.

Result....

Plant Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
871 Posts
Two conclusions: God bless the emergency services who turn up just when you need them and God bless VW for using some pretty high grade ( high Boron content? ) steel for their vehicle structures .

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
Progress. Got the skin separated from the frame on the junkyard roof. Dirty work as it consumes angle grinder wheels quickly.

Next up is to take ALL the brave pills and attack the roof on the car....
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Wood Automotive exterior

Cleaned the engine externally and moved it so it's not exposed to any more dust. Will slowly pick away at getting to the chains.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #278 · (Edited)
Lol. Yeah it will be fairly intense. Getting what remains just so without grinding thru the metal will be the trickiest bit. The front and rear flanges will be the worst though. On the donor, i just cut through the laser weld all the way because i don't care about that frame. Obviously i do on this one. So my choice is either use my dremel and cut a lot less but spend 527 days getting it loosened or out a flap wheel on my angle grinder and turn the entire flange on the skin to dust.

Both options suck.

First thing though is to ensure i can get the supplies to attach the roof to the car!

The other thought that flies into my head is that it's now just about as easy as it gets to make a CF roof... not going to as there are many more important things to do....but certainly feasible to do in the future now i know how it goes together.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #279 ·
Cut up my shiney new hood....

Automotive parking light Land vehicle Car Vehicle Grille

A few more things to take out of the interior, i should be able to get my panel adhesive tomorrow. And then time to cut....

Cf roof and other panels would be fun but are a distraction right now as well as a proper vacuum bagging setup looking to cost damn near $1000. Not something to just stumble in to. Will leave that for a couple years down the road....

Goal for the next 2 weeks is finally have the car ready for primer. Wish me luck.

261 - 280 of 305 Posts