VW Golf R32 Forum banner
281 - 300 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #281 ·
There are 2 holes conveniently placed in the front panel already. Only issues were that there's a significant amount of inner structure on the hood at that point to cut away. I am not showing my work there lol. Fugly for sure. Also the drivers side pin is VERY short. Ie: i don't have a nut on the upper side it's so short. Not exactly secure imho. I could only get the aluminum pins at the moment, i think i will get steel ones so i can make it proper.

Words failing me to describe the issue properly....

I am procrastinating on cutting the roof.... i cleaned the garage this afternoon instead lol. I have all the supplies now too. The adhesive was spendy, the 2 part caulking gun tho.... holy balls that was expensive for what it is!

I think brave pills will be here on friday.

·
Registered
Mk5 Golf R32 , black 3 door 2006
871 Posts
Well done. Nice neat cuts by the looks of things .Thanks for the bonnet pin info. I thought that some bonnet structure might have to have sacrificed itself . I have done this on other cars and always run into that problem. And, as you say, not exactly pretty either .

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #284 ·
Yeah, the cut went ok. knicked a couple flanges with the cutting wheel, but those will be easily fixed once everything is out. Played with various tools in the arsenal last night in order to figure out the method for the precise work. Got half the front flange removed. Should have it all trimmed and new roof dry fit by beer o'clock tomorrow.

Now that i have easier access, i may add a couple more braces to the cage too.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #289 ·
Almost ready to make it look nice.... gotta prep the new metal and the trim and then hopefully one more session of bodywork with my buddy before priming. Of course, 2 weeks into the kids going back to school, everyone in the house is sick as a dog.... like friggin clockwork lol

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

·
Registered
871 Posts
More nice work.Back to your aerocatches . I was looking at mine as I too want to fit a pair. I think there is another option nearer each front edge that will also pick up on a front panel retaining bolt . Again the problem is the inner bonnet structure but the motive for having them closer to the edge is so that I can fit a front vent into the bonnet and another one , longer , nearer the back edge. ‘Our’ engines generate a lot of heat and so the more of it can can get rid of the better. Your thoughts on these ideas appreciated .

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #292 ·
Imho, there's no good way of venting out the hood on these cars. The intake manifold just sits too far forward and the core support is swept back too much. There's no room to vent there. Sure, you could cut a hole in the hood there but with the manifold in the way i have serious doubts on it's effectiveness.
What i did in my mk3 and what i will do here is take the fender liners out and let the air out there. This of course will be more effective when i build the splitter and close off the bottom. The ultimate would be to try and emulate the A4 BTCC cars that had a full carbon shroud and vented out in front of the wheels....but i suspect that is beyond my fabricating skills lol.

But really, this isn't the overheating nightmare that were the early 12v engines in say my old Corrado. I have every confidence in the oil cooler divorced from the coolant heat exchanger and the additional radiator i need to get. Hell it worked extremely well on said corrado (i had no heat in the fall/spring drive to work lol), it'll work here.

In short, there may be room for a hood vent in the 4 cylinder models but i just don't see it working in these.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #293 ·
And thanks andy, trying to balance red neck engineering with actual best practices. But red neck me doesn't let go without a fight lol.

Lolz, red neck as one word is considered cursing???? Got a buncha **** when i initially wrote it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #294 ·
Oh, and back edge of the hood is a definite nono for a vent. Windshield creates a high preasure area. You could easily create a path for more air to go under the car, the opposite of what you want. My understanding of how it works is to have a vent within the first 6-8" of the leading edge. Really the best use of the vent is for more effective cooling of the radiator. Air blowing over the engine doesn't do a heck of a lot.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #296 ·
No worries. In the end, the biggest difference, at least with my 93 Corrado, was removing the oil/water heat exchanger and running a proper oil cooler. Water temps never exceeded 105⁰ and oil peaked at around 125⁰. Downside was inadequate heat on cooler days. Now that could be because the blend doors in the HVAC box DID desintegrate and i didn't fix them till after i stopped tracking that car. I am going the route i am going with this because cabin heating is not a consideration whatsoever.

As you're still going to street drive it, i'd probably forgo the additional radiator and i think you'd be fine unless you insisted on tracking it in some of the more ridiculous temps you guys had this summer.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Agreed.For road use , cooling is ok but on the track , different matter. I am about to do a full coolant change and upgrade for the water system : I think I need a dedicated DSG oil cooler and an engine oil cooler but on a thermostat , otherwise the oil will be too cool on winter days on the road . Also got a front Verkline subframe on order to finish off the chassis along with some Vibratechnic engine mounts . Busy few weeks coming up but I will add that work to my build thread rather than hijacking yours !!!! As for a front vent in the bonnet , might help a bit but it would look good 😊

·
Administrator
R32 mk5 2008
3,719 Posts
Agreed.For road use , cooling is ok but on the track , different matter. I am about to do a full coolant change and upgrade for the water system : I think I need a dedicated DSG oil cooler and an engine oil cooler but on a thermostat , otherwise the oil will be too cool on winter days on the road . Also got a front Verkline subframe on order to finish off the chassis along with some Vibratechnic engine mounts . Busy few weeks coming up but I will add that work to my build thread rather than hijacking yours !!!! As for a front vent in the bonnet , might help a bit but it would look good 😊
The engine mounts and the bottom oneare a massive difference to stop the feel of the engine flopping about

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #299 ·
I was told not to worry about a dedicated dsg cooler. The input i have had is that As long as water temps are good, it'll be fine. The more research i have done into the dsg, the more it is apparent the only real failure points are dead clutches due to bad oil. Easily remedied. The gears themselves are as robust as any o2m/q out there and i've never seen one of those pop unless something stupid was done.

This is the writeup i will follow for the secondary rad.

Again, the biggest change in my previous experience was removing the exchanger. The lack of cabin heat i experienced could very well be that something was broken, it WAS a Corrado afterall lol.

I would start with the oil cooler as you mentioned and move on from there. I must say though that i was unpleasantly surprised at the cost of them this time around....

And vw has kindly made rubber plugs for the ports that would otherwise supply the heat exchanger, i believe it has been superceded but this is the pn i started with: 7P0121099.

281 - 300 of 305 Posts