VW Golf R32 Forum banner
301 - 305 of 305 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #301 ·
No worries.

In the meantime, i think it's the tidiest the workshop has been since we moved in 3 years ago lol.

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Wheel Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive tire

Probably one more night with my buddy to tidy up the last details then we're getting serious about paint. Having a small crisis about the colour now though. Was settled on the oe blue in a matte finish, then i saw some videos on youtube from plastidip with these crazy pearl clearcoats doing rather unexpected colour changes. I probably won't because the canadian border apparently is a brick wall for them so actually getting that stuff is difficult (and thus $$$$$).

At any rate, i want to get the paint wrapped up by mid october to avoid dealing with temperature issues and i sure as hell can't wait till the spring. So much so i would probably just kill my bank account and have it finished at a shop.

Fingers crossed.

Once done though, progress to finish will be very rapid i would think.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 ·
So, due to my buddy gettin screwed over by work and people not showing up when they should, only got a few hours in. So the car is not yet in primer, partially tho.

So, this week i will be turning my attention to phase one of the garage improvements which will allow me to heat the place more effectively. This is important because it's cooling off here (after a surprisingly mild summer) quite rapidly and we're already having issues with filler setting properly.

Also started taking a peak at the condition of the 3.6 and i am happy to say (for my wallet's sake) that this will work out well. The engine is an early one and was plagued with horror stories of timing failures. The root cause is the oil pump sprocket bolt. It was a low grade and not properly torqued from the factory. It would back out which causes all kinds of nastiness as you can imagine. Later engines used a grade 10.8 bolt with a much higher torque.

I inspected the timing system and indeed i have the weaker bolt but the chains and guides are in fine shape. So just gotta get the bolt from the dealer and it's good to go.

I will be getting a few seals and a water pump (as a precaution) but all in, i should be under $400 to get this lump ready to be reattached to the trans.

·
Registered
Mk5 Golf R32 , black 3 door 2006
871 Posts
If you do that for the $400 you will have done really well . I started to cost up a rebuild of a 3.2: gaskets , chains , bearings , bolts , rings and then things like water pumps , valve guides plus a head skim etc etc and the bill gets frightening, and that is without new pistons or a rebore . So your 3.6 in good nick was a great buy and you have nearly 300hp without trying. Happy days .

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #305 ·
Well, let's not get carried away on the savings, i DID buy a whole car to get it. While i have a ton of spares, the engine isn't free lol.

That said, the calculation you are doing is EXACTLY why i went this route. The biggest shock to me were the cost of the bottom end bearings. Each shell sold individually to match the tolerances of the crank..... yikes. It was gonna be like $500 just for the mains.

Local prices mean i am ahead of the game $ wise.

Time wise not so much but hey, it's been entertaining so far lol.

301 - 305 of 305 Posts