VW Golf R32 Forum banner
341 - 360 of 392 Posts

·
Registered
Mk5 Golf R32 , black 3 door 2006
955 Posts
Hi. ECS in the States have them , as do several other US parts stockists. Over here , TPS have them. Not tried the local dealer but I am sure they could get me one or two if I ordered . Let me know if you want me to crack on and get some .

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #342 ·
On ecs website but already confirmed they do not have. They are listing it thru a portal into the dealer network essentially. But just a list of part numbers with no proper inventory data. 99% of the time when they say ships next day, they will take the money immediatly but don't say they can't get for a month....

Working on an alternative solution at the moment.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Just checked with my local dealer . Not in stock and no delivery date from VW so the parts guy thought that it could be a long wait . I will try TPS in the morning and see if they fare any better .

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #346 ·
So, greta would be happy, the car has 4 cats and o2 sensors hooked up.... got a generic hose and got the cooling system buttoned up too. A bit of harness wrapping and the engine bay will be ready for reassembly. Going to switch gears though and continue to empty my shelves by getting the interior somewhat put together. Last mystery to solve there is how to deal with dsg paddles and detachable wheel....

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #348 ·
No more airbag. I suspect that i will have to a have a coiled wire in the mix. There ARE setups that put a disconnect in the wheel hub. They are ludicrously expensive. I will not be purchasing one lol.

Milestone last night. I no longer need to get underneath the car....

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #351 · (Edited)
Well, if i have to get back under i am blaming you then for jinxing it lol!

Minor electrical question. I have long since thrown out the hood latch. There's a switch in it. I don't know if the electrical switch is open or closed with the hood down. Could anyone please help a brotha out with that? I have two wires on the right side of the car and i dunno if i need to connect them or leave them disconnected lol. help is appreciated..

Edit: it's always something...
Just about to button up the engine bay and find out the maf is different between the r and the passat. Not just wired differently (which i did last winter). But the connector is different. So now i gotta dig thru the passat harness i have in a box and find it.... that'll be fun.....

Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #353 · (Edited)
no pics because i am not smart sometimes. phone fell outta my pocket onto the floor of the minivan....that the mother in law took with our kids for the weekend.....

at any rate, the engine bay is done from a VW point of view. i need to get fluids into it and finish up the fire suppression plumbing into the bay. it would be fully buttoned up in there were it not for a discrepancy i did not foresee. the r32/passat radiators are bigger than the rabbit units. which means my rabbit core support that i got to replace the crumbling original with the jetta bumper is too small for the radiators i have. so now a bit of a conundrum. the r32/passat radiators are actually shared with the gti. so, that means the core support is not some unicorn tear like part. however, will the core support work with the rabbit bumper that i have taken great lengths to make pretty? or do i get a rabbit radiator and fan assembly? the core is 40mm shorter (about 10%). the ports are on the same side and are the same size as the r32 so that part is ok. the reduced radiator size is slightly concerning but mitigated by the aux rad, the lack of an AC condensor in front of it and the fact that when the cooling is needed, it'll be going 140kph at minimum....

i'll have a chat with the dealer next week and see how much this stuff costs i guess. unfortunately, it doesn't seem as there is a local guy parting a gti, or a rabbit for that matter, so it looks like buying new parts is my only solution.

at any rate, my far fetched goal of starting it this week now looks very unlikely.

at any rate, seat, dash and netting go in today so i can empty some shelves. then i guess the last fiddly electrical stuff.

and Andy, damn you, i hafta get back under the car, i spotted a cross threaded brake line union! (i also need to fill the gearbox so not ENTIRELY your fault lol!)

EDIT: solution is the rabbit radiator. same fans as the r32 so just gotta get the shroud as well. i figure because of the oil cooler, aux rad, speed and no AC condensor, the 10% reduction in frontal area won't be a problem.

·
Registered
955 Posts
More good progress . Well done. Not making any mistakes or overlooking something is what we mere mortals are not good at, so no gearbox oil and one faulty brake union is pretty good going .

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #355 · (Edited)
Arright. Rabbit radiator fits and plumbed properly. Gotta fix a coupla wires, fill with fluids and then i SHOULD be ready to fire it up....albeit on jackstands as for the life of me i cannot find bloody brake unions!!!

Maybe by the end of the week??

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #356 ·
so, still being owned by brake unions. vw snookered me. i got a pair of 10mm unions this morning, pulled the aluminum block out from under the car only to see that in order to not mix up the lines, vw put 10mm on one and 12mm on the other circuit. of course i messed up the 12mm thread lol. hopefully tomorrow i get the right one.

however on a brighter note, i charged up the battery, plugged it in and powered up the car. no smoke!! it even engaged the starter. no start because i have zero fuel in it...and let's not get TOO carried away just yet lol. however, there are LOTS of error codes. i am pretty sure it all boils down to long coding for the engine as the vast majority of the errors say something along the lines of missing messages from the ecu.

of course i need to learn what all this crap means and i need to figure out what the security access code is in order to access the long coding in vcds.

it's just 1s and 0s that are stopping me now lol

·
Registered
955 Posts
I really admire your bravery here . My instinct would have been to bin the Vw ecu and go aftermarket , as I understand the latter and not the former . So top marks for your approach .I really hope that it starts and runs for you this weekend .

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #358 ·
i may go aftermarket at some point, but probably only for PDM, not ECU as well.

as for the error codes, i may be in luck. i DO have to recheck the MAF wiring, i think something is unhappy there. either wiring problems or the maf did not survive the dirty environment that was my garage during bodywork. but after digging thru rosstech wiki for a bit regarding comms error codes it is possible that they won't affect running. one of the possible causes according to them is having the ecu flashed. i would assume that an immo defeat would count as a flash.

at any rate, i am encouraged enough to buzz out the maf wiring, and then add a splash of fuel into the tank and give it a shot.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #359 · (Edited)
Well, anti climactic. Fuel not getting to rail. I only had a few litres on hand, so maybe not enough to prime the system. That said, the pump didn't look so hot when i pulled it outta the passat, even though there were no running issues with the passat more checks to follow in the morning.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #360 ·
IT'S ALIIIIIIVE!!!

I put a new pump in it this morning and fuel then got to the hpfp but wasn't coming out. Spent an hour going over all the wiring once again. No mistakes. So, for the hell of it, i started udoing the low side pressure sensor and all kinds of hissing ensued.... and thus the pump got purged. I am wondering if this issue is why in later cars they relocated it to the fuel line on the way IN to the fuel pump, not on the pump.

Anyways, fuel then audibly made it into the rest of the system an boom, it fired up.

Quite pleased with myself now!!!!

Anyways, much work to be done, gotta get the trans happy, dill the brakes and fill the coolant so i can then start going thru a proper systems check.

MAY try and drive it this weekend. Is there a way to post videos here?!

341 - 360 of 392 Posts