VW Golf R32 Forum banner
361 - 380 of 392 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #364 ·
soooooo close to driveable but dissimilar metals owned me today. just had to bleed brakes.... 2 snapped bleeders and another totally stripped out.... luckily i have extras of everything thanks to my hoarding last winter lol. will see about getting it sorted later tonight.

2 new problems though, the alternator is not alternating .... i THINK the alternator isn't working. 11.7v at the battery. i had a fault code for it and it's talking about battery cables and a weak battery..... will see what i can figure out.

The fans from the rabbit radiator squeal like a stuck pig, an important issue because without the hvac module, the fans just run....

the passat downpipe has transformed the raspy r32 resonator delete into a deep rumble, reminiscent of old skool 12v motors of myth lol. me rikey.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #365 ·
It drives!
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Window

2 minor issues left. Coolant resorvoir sensor appears to not work with straight water or i have missed a connection to it. Also, no power steering. Back to the wiring diagrams for the former and hopefully cleaning corrosion on the fuse block terminals will sort the latter? That's what got the alternator sorted....

Brakes sorta worked so i gave it a bootful to 3500rpm. Sounds GLORIOUS!

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #367 ·
Conveniently (but even more spendy) the track has fuel pumps so no need to drag jerry cans around. I have enough problems keeping fuel around here for the other tools!

As suspected, coolant bulb was lacking a ground and no power steering was a crusty connection.

Made the list of all the things i can think of to finish it.....it's a long ass list!!

Anyways, super pumped now that i know it at least drives. Now just alllllll the details. Perfect timing tho as snow supposedly arrives next week.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #369 ·
So, got that test drive in just in time, winter arrived this week.

This is it's position for a good stretch now.

Car Vehicle Land vehicle Tire Wheel

Biggest single task is to deal with the electrical connections for the steering wheel and getting the center console sorted. Still have a list a full page long tho. The downside there is i had to load up the visa again getting all sorts of little things in order to accomplish that.

I already buggered up some bodywork. Was putting the front bumper away up high, and didn't realize i was sliding it across the hood...

At least the hood needed to get redone anyways and my buddy is looking to get an actual booth setup at his place this winter.

Hoping to have it "finished" for christmas as i am designing a coilover setup for my audi this winter too and need to get that into the shop...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #373 ·
Yup, the rates were suggested to me here and i asked ast, they said no problem.

Got the central console started today. Just used some spare clear acrylic i have here. We'll see if it holds up. I am waiting for the defroster for the windshield and my oil temp/pressure guage to arrive then i can wrap that up. I suppose i need to deal with the steering wheel paddles now....oh goodie....

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #374 ·
Steering part Motor vehicle Steering wheel Automotive tire Boat

I have since learned thru measuring that the shift paddle signal passes thru the steering wheel button assemblies unimpeded. So that means if i am careful, i can solder wires directly from the button to the module in the steering wheel. The buttons will be redundant. Mfd doesn't show any info relevant for a racecar (fuel mileage???? LOL) so i believe i can get rid of those too. The coiled wire for between wheel and car hopefully gets here tomorrow. Only complaint is that the wires are so damned small and i don't have 20 year old eyes lol.

·
Registered
Mk5 Golf R32 , black 3 door 2006
955 Posts
Just wait until your eyes get to 70 years .! Really intrigued with your steering wheel adaptations . So. nice to have a ‘proper ‘ wheel and still use the paddle shifters . VW really did not intend for their Mk5 golf to be used this way . If I have understood you correctly , are you saying that the module that sends shift signals to the DSG is wired directly to the paddles , so wiring paddles to module on the wheel and then module to column / dash / wherever via a coiled connecting wire is how you are doing it ? Only snag there might be number of turns lock to lock on the o.e gen2 rack, but on the track you are unlikely to go beyond 90 degrees except in the paddock

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #376 ·
There are 5 electrical "things" in the steering wheel. Two paddles, the radio control and mfd buttons, and the module that turns it all into canbus.

The shift paddles connect to the control buttons. The signals from the paddles pass thru the buttons unimpeded. So i can wire the paddles directly into the canbus module and get rid of the buttons.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Got it . Thank you . Presumably you could also go one step further and rewire the switches using something more suitable and connect them to the canbus if you wanted / needed to ? I am curious as I have the Polar FIS module connected via my canbus so my wheel buttons give many more display options including temperatures, pressures, lambda readings DSG parameters etc .

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #378 ·
That's thru the obd port though right? It does a good job of displaying everything the car collects. I find it pretty terrible the car doesn't have oil pressure tho. Probably the most important bit of info.

I'd like to find some sort of data logger to collect everything i THINK vcds does but i would prefer not to expose my laptop to that environment.

Not concerned about volume of info on the fly, personally feel the less the better on track. Only adding oil temp/press guage because that's vital info. If i had my way, all i'd have is gear indicator, rpm, water temp, oil temp and pressure on the dash. But not doing that right now...

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #379 ·
That's thru the obd port though right? It does a good job of displaying everything the car collects. I find it pretty terrible the car doesn't have oil pressure tho. Probably the most important bit of info.

I'd like to find some sort of data logger to collect everything i THINK vcds does but i would prefer not to expose my laptop to that environment.

Not concerned about volume of info on the fly, personally feel the less the better on track. Only adding oil temp/press guage because that's vital info. If i had my way, all i'd have is gear indicator, rpm, water temp, oil temp and pressure on the dash. But not doing that right now...

·
Registered
955 Posts
Agreed. On the fly you will not have time to look at anything except where you are going . Lots of decent data loggers / display units available . If you can run to something like an AIM, a connection to the canbus it will log and display everything .

361 - 380 of 392 Posts