VW Golf R32 Forum banner
41 - 60 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Yeah, i ordered a new one for the one that's still with free hardware. Pretty silly that control arm bushing replacement could have an attitional ~$1500 in parts alone if the owner is unlucky and bolts snap in all 3 parts of the frame. Maybe this is why the rear subframes are now steel?

At any rate, I believe this will be the only solution upon reassembly:

Hairstyle Product Fluid Liquid Sculpture

The sills are actually not terrible in the end. The fronts on both sides are fine, it't's just some small patching needed at the back. I will seam weld the back entirely as i suspect a lot of it was not welded from the factory, just gooped with sealer that failed.

With luck, the sills are done this week. I don't really need to touch the passenger arch so i will spend probably a long time on the drivers side. Basically half of it has already separated from the inner arch because rust. And the innner structure is a fairly complex shape to figure out.

·
Registered
Mk5 Golf R32 , black 3 door 2006
595 Posts
Glad that the sills are not going to be a serious problem.VW did use some pretty thick steel in the main structure . I think you have been a bit unlucky with the amount of corrosion on your car, but then the price probably reflected that ?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Yeah, I paid well under £4000 for it. About half of anything else that was available in eastern Canada (the other in western canada was in edmonton and had the full HPA catalogue $$$$$$) and about a third of american prices. The seller was not shy in terms of swnding me pics of it's shitty condition so i knew going in i was gonna do some bodywork.

The scary thing is that the other "local" ones were not that much better. Bubbling arches and bad doors on all.

Winters in these parts really do a number on the mk5 weak points it seems

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I was in london visiting relatives for christmas a few years back. I have never been so cold in only -2⁰ in my life lol.

Arches just don't look like they are coming anytime soon. Going to the scrap yard friday with my sawzall in hopes of finding good ones i will be able to get proper inners as well at least . Such a pain that it's an hour away....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Desparatextimes and all. Arches just weren't coming so cancelled the order n went to the scrappers. Good inner and outer arches aquired. Hopefully next weekend my buddy and i can get cracking on actually adding metal as opposed to cutting it away lol. I need to practice welding thin metal in the meantime...
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive exterior Automotive design

Saw Automotive tire Handheld power drill Wood Concrete saw

I also have done something very bad. I agreed to buy a turbo manifold n headspacer from a friend in the new year. I am looking at that slippery slope of positive manifold pressure lol. Save me!!!

·
Registered
Mk5 Golf R32 , black 3 door 2006
595 Posts
First of all, impressed with your trip to the scrapyard and a good call on some second hand arches . Stitching thin sheet steel is not the easiest job on earth . The trick is not to attempt a seam but a series of tacks along the entire join and then to go back and fill in the gaps, but allowing the panel to cool in between . Really skilful people make it look easy. I am not one of them . As for running an engine with manifold pressures above one bar , all there is to say young Annekin is that your destiny is the dark side, and there is no use in trying to resist .

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Well, the passenger inner structure is NOT picture worthy. The drivers side, well let's show the myspace angle...

Automotive tire Wood Engineering Gas Fender

Only set myself on fire twice lol. Hoping my buddy will be free later this week and we can get the skin on.

As for the boost, it ain't my first rodeo lol. My previous 16v race car was running at 22psi and my UrS6 is nearing 25 (holding off on the last bit till i can get a dyno session).

I was hoping not to go down this slope but i must admit to myself that resistance is 99% futile lol. Regardless, boost, if it happens, will be next winter's work.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Big night coming up tonight. My buddy is swinging to night shift so we're gonna pull an all nighter to get the rockers and quarters tacked in.

And because my formative VW years were the late 90s/early 00s and colour coding, and i had the rattle can kicking around.... my refreshed rear subframe lol

Automotive tire Tire Wood Motor vehicle Bumper

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
All nighter completed. No more wifi bodywork. A have a few evenings of welding ahead of me to finish it up but now starts the reassembly and return to roller status.

Vehicle Car Hood Tire Automotive tire

Vehicle Car Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Well the speed is gonna slow now. I have a list of house stuff as long as my arm to get sorted before the snow comes. All i am going to do over the next 5 weeks before it goes for the cage is finish welding in the panels, seal the metal, and get the suspension on. Not much really.

The "fun" will begin in the new year when i get the car back, break it back down to the current state, my buddy comes back and we do the actual bodywork. I am also going to go a little nuts with the hole saw inside once the cage is in lol. So many layers of metal!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Ug, what a coupla weeks. First round of fall yard cleanup done, then the germ magnets (i mean my wonderful children) brought home a nasty stomach bug. On my butt for a solid week....

At any rate, got some energy back over the last coupla days and got probably the most difficult step completed, fully welded in the replacement metal. Gotta knock down the welds and seal the bare steel and then i can start working on getting it back to rolling. Car is to be delivered about 60kms from here for the cage on nov 29. Should be fairly easy to make that now. Only possible hitch in the plan is the coilovers and their delivery... fingers crossed.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive lighting

Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 · (Edited)
Got a bit more done. Front and rear subframes back in the car, need to make the bushings for the rearmost arm and then i can put the trailing arms in. Gotta pop the outer cv joints off the axles so as to not ruin the bearing when i roll it around. And then wait for the coilovers....

Seat sport dsg paddle mounting plate has arrived, will get that next week along with the right aluminum for the bushings. Will then figure out the whole detachable steering wheel/dsg paddle wiring conundrum.

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design

Wood Tradesman Floor Flooring Gas

41 - 60 of 110 Posts