VW Golf R32 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Yeah, 034 got a lot of my money on the rear end. It looks like decent quality and unlike the complaints that are common in the UrS4/6 world, fit perfectly right off the bat.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Seat sport goodie installed last night. The mounting plate works with 6 bolt aftermarket wheels (because quick disconnect) and the oe dsg buttons. Buzzed the connectors on the trip/radio buttons and the shift signal passes thru unimpeded. Therefore i can eliminate those and wire directly into the module in the wheel which converts info into CAN.

I do have one silly question though. It's been so long since the car ran and i want to make sure i don't lose any useful info from the car. What info does the board computer provide? I can't remember! I couldn't care less if it's purely time, distance and fuel economy. But if there's oil status info then i will want to find a way to keep some of the functionality.

Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Yellow

·
Registered
Mk5 Golf R32 , black 3 door 2006
595 Posts
The on board ECU receives a whole load of engine and box data, most of which the display is not configured to show.However, there is a canbus interface available that allows all that data to be displayed in 6 user configurable screens via the centre display panel in the o.e instrument cluster . I fitted one last year . Brilliant bit of kit . Have a look on my build thread . Only snag is that it costs €300 .

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
Polar FIS? Holy crap that displays a heck of a lot of info. Hmmmmm. Now i'm thinkin i will be drawing up some new enclosures for the wheel buttons for my neighbour's 3d printer.... very interesting. Tho i suppose all i really need to know when i am in the middle of a race is oil temp n pressure. There are significantly less expensive ways to get that info. And if i went turbo with aftermarket ecu, i wonder if it would still work.

But from the factory, it only displays fuel economy info essentially right? Nothing about oil temp or pressure? I just can't remember right now and the car is FAR from a state of getting powered up to check lol.

Edit: digging more into that polar fis product and i am very interested. I guess the engine sensors get temps n pressure info for the oil? That is really the main concern. I believe i'd get info outta the dsg too.

The only question i would have is does it remain functional if i went to an aftermarket ecu....and i suppose that would depend on the ecu and it's ability to speak vw CAN. I sense many hours of reading my manuals lol.

Edit: looks like the car measure oil temp but oil pressure is limited to ok or too low/warning buzzer. Not that that isn't enough. I guess when you're on the fly. And the oil temp is calculated in the cluster so aftermarket ecu wouldn't affect that. Sweet.

·
Registered
595 Posts
You have just about answered all your own questions .O.E display does not give the critical things like oil pressure , oil and water temp ( the gauge for water seems to be destined only ever to read with its indicator vertical) but the ecu is fed with all that ( and more ) data . Hence Polar FIS . Aftermarket ecu? Canbus enabled and probably yes, but then you are into Motec or Life territory , so the thick end of £2000 for one of those ( or the Australian Autronic )
The o.e ecu can be mapped with forced induction but has limitations that a quality aftermarket ECU does not ( I think , but others on here have used( are using) forced induction and so will know better that I

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Yeah, looks like the only pertinent info the car doesn't measure already is oil pressure. A good/bad indicator is really all i need when moving 200kph down the back straight....

As for the aftermarket ecu vs tune... that's a whole can of worms for sure! I tend to prefer the aftermarket as i can see what's going on and most importantly fix any issues with the tune. All you can do with a canned tune is trust they accounted for all the variables and the programming can compensate accordingly.....

And the bloody MAF sensor lol

Much research to be done on that front still. But it looks like i am drawing up some new enclosures for the buttons now lol

·
Registered
595 Posts
With you on this. If I do a full engine build and forced induction, I will use an aftermarket ecu and make a standalone loom so that the engine management is decoupled from the other car systems and then arrange a seperate display of engine parameters.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Starting to wonder if that would be an over complication.

What i have been switched on to would be an android tablet running the Torque Pro app thru an obd adapter. All the info the car makes would be available to display, it datalogs (and does error codes) and vehicle data can be overlaid into video via harry's laptimer or the like. The latter being quite relevant for me as the series i race in mandates in car video in case of incidents. Basically, it could be an all in one vehicle data source.

If one goes standalone for FI then yeah, you could run it independantly and that software should have it's own datalogging and diagnostic functionality. Or, if it is sophisticated enough, it'd cooperate with the factory comms and it would cooperated with the above mentioned app.

Man, i am in awe of how much further integrated it all is compared to my archaic mk3 lol.

I'm still not going to cut a single wire i don't think.... sooooo many unplugged connections lol.

And visiting the neighbour tomorrow afternoon to get the suspension bushings done.

·
Registered
595 Posts
You are too with nice shiny new bearings and it looks as if you got that bush sorted .Couple of things that I am sure you have already thought about but the first is boots for the rose joints.I know you are building a track car , but sometimes that track will be wet, and in the wet those joints deteriorate very quickly ( and no, do not protect them with grease, as a bit of track dirt added to the grease makes for great grinding paste ) . And the second, the bolts . VW used torque to yield bolts extensively in the suspension . Great for consistent build quality but, particularly in critical positions not a good idea to re use . They are available new but bloody expensive .

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Yeah, goddamn vw n their tty everything! Reusing so i can roll it around. It'll all come off again to complete bodywork this winter so ot'll get replaced then. As for the boots, getting qualoty ones is the issue. I tried some and they split the moment i tried to install....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Slow progress. 120lbs of dog ran full tilt into the side of my knee....only SLIGHTLY painful to move for the past week lol.

At any rate, welds ground down and primer on the bare metal. Contours look to have survived for the most part so filler work should be not excessive....i hope lol.

A little bit more prep before the cage next week.

Oh, and it's dust not overapray on the suspension parts lol

Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
595 Posts
Yep.You can look forward to several happy hours of filling , sanding , dust, more filling, more sanding, more dust and then, yes, more filling and sanding . Oh the joy ? ( as you have probably gathered, I hate the job you are about to tackle , but it has to be done.
By the way, that was a big dog

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Lol, it was 2 dogs, mine n the neighbour's. They basically run around the yard nipping each other not looking where they are going. I have been very successful at dodging them. Except that one damn time! I am still pretty gimpy.... pretty sure my one knee has a bit more play in it than the factory specs now lol.

And yeah, not looking forward to the bodywork. The only thing that brightens that prospect is racecar, not showcar. Not gonna half ass it but at the same time, i am not going to spend weeks with the filling and sanding routine making it look perfect.

New coils have not arrived but i need to keep moving, so i put the old coils back on but just made a spacer out of pipe for the rear dampers.

A few details to sort and much cleaning/tucking wires out of the way and it will be ready for delivery. A few dodgy bolts in the rear where i didn't get the right lengths but it only needs to last 45mins each way on a trailer so should be good.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 · (Edited)
It's gonna be a proper custom weld in 6 point with fia style x brace door protection and the extra vertical bit fron the fron bottom foot to the always unsupported bend at the top of the windshield.

And yeah, presentqble is the minimum. My mk3 was capital C CRUDE and featured many dents and spontaneous lightened spots (rust). It was my first proper build and it ended up being quite fast....but not really anything to be proud of looks wise. I hope to improve upon that this time around lol.

That said, i could paint it as is and it would be an improvement lol. I mean, the visible work is really limited to the rear arches, the mk3 had dings EVERYWHERE lol.

Got it on its wheels. Just need to get the doors on n we're good to go.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
So, i think i may have stumbled down a rabbit hole. Thanfully it was an ad that was just not pulled down so i may have escaped for now.

3.6 swap?

Obviously it would physically "drop in" but the fuel system is different. I looked in wiring diagrams and it would seem actually pretty simple as they run the same system as a 2.0t. Ie: there's the fuel pump module instead of a relay and it's one more wire between the pump module and ecu. Over simplified description but the rest of the electrical connections to the car itself seem identical.

Not that easy is it??

The reason for the thought was a rather cheap ad for the engine (sub 1000CAD). 280hp outta the box, a flash, decat and cai gets me into the 320hp area which is plenty adequate for my use. All in a hell of a lot cheaper n simpler than turbo and probably endlessly reliable.

I mean 450hp would be a riot but a bit of a waste.

Am i missing something?

61 - 80 of 110 Posts