VW Golf R32 Forum banner
101 - 120 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
Mk5 Golf R32 , black 3 door 2006
644 Posts
Good news about gaskets, seals and bearings. That makes life easier .I can see why you would leave the ABS in place given the complications, and I had not thought about the DSG .

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Ready for delivery to the cage fanricator monday. And then massive cleanup in the garage lol. Yes, snow on the trailer....it's starting lol.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Another "positive" on the 3.6....at least for my wallet. I suppose due to dwindling real estate thanks to the bigger bores, the headbolts on them are 9mm vs 11 on the 3.2. There are no stronger headstuds available. This means no positive manifold pressure rabbit hole for this motor. Solid!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 ·
Well, i think i am getting a stiff drink now. Made a template and drilled into the 3.6 block. Had to open up a hole in the bracket but otherwise..... whew!!!

Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Car is back home.
Automotive tire Hood Car Motor vehicle Bumper

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Car Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Blue

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Aircraft Vehicle Airplane

Also got the window net, a net for the middle, 6pt harness and a fire supression kit.

Not much is going to happen for the next little bit due to christmas (and an empty wallet!) I am gonna head back the scrap yard to get some roof metal and a few other little pieces to sort the shell. Then the shopping spree picks up again to get all the seals and fluids and all the stuff to refresch the drivetrain.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Blimey The fabricators were quick and , from the looks of it , pretty classy too. Have a lovely Christmas : spend as little as possible on food and drink and save the rest for the really important things in life like bits for a track day Golf . 😀😀😀

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Yeah, they were shockingly fast. The car was actually ready last friday but i couldn't get there and monday was a nasty mix of snow and rain....no bueno for bare metal on an open trailer!

They did a really good job of working with the steering column mount with integrated bulkhead connector for the gauge cluster. Managed to fit up the dash last night. Much bracketology to follow to actually mount it. But first i need to get the mounting bracket for the body control module and fuse panel sorted.

The nice the about using the dash is that it's huge so i can not cut a single wire, deploy ziptie madnes to the underside and it will look tidy to everyone else lol.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Car Motor vehicle Steering part Vehicle Steering wheel

A few brackets to go and it's sorted. Too a run out to the scrapyard. The (last?) Big welding job is now here

Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

Going to at least cut it to shape this weekend. I need to go back and get a few other bits that were in better shape than i have so if i screw it up, i can got get another roof section. All of $20 for that panel, i'd pay more for a flat sheet that size in these parts....

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #113 ·
Annnnnd 2 hours later....

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

Today was the last real blast i get... household in christmas mode and trying to wrap up work before everyone says fuckit. Gonna try and finish weld this in as well as some brackets elsewhere on the shell by new years. January will be underside and body prep. Ie: it's gonna suck lol.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·
So, more 3.6 swap info for you guys. i've had to source a fair few bits that i hadn't planned on but they are slowly making their way here now. of note is the passt 3.6 ecu. i have had to do that because the touareg accelerator pedal is different than mk5/passat and has a differnt output. thankfully i found one on ebay. unfortunately, i did not find a used engine harness on ebay. so i bit my lip and bought new from the dealer network.... ouch. i will also need to get a passat MAF as they are not interchangeable (see below).

at any rate, i've dug into the wiring diagrams and turns out the most headache inducing part of it is sorting the power sources and comparing them to the passat/touareg equivalents. if anyone feels like following me down this path of madness, here's the starting point lol.

once i got my head refreshed on reading the wiring diagrams (it's been a few years) it turns out to not be sooooo terrible. the 3.6 uses 2 main relays to power the ecu and everything else engine related, J271 and J670. luckily the mk5 r32 does the same, more or less, J271 and J317. i am going to list the outpouts of all 4 below.

2006 passat J271powers
SB49, 50 amp, goes to J293 which is the fan control module
SB6, 20 amp, coils
SB7 15 amp, fuel pressure regulator valve
SB8 10 amp, cam solenoids and various other solenoids on the side of the engine, and goes to fan control module
SB11, 25 amp, ECU
J151 which is the coolant pump relay

2006 passat J670 powers
SB33, 15 amp, Primary O2 heaters
SB44, 10 amp, leak detection pump
SB45, 10 amp, post cat O2 heaters

2008 R32 J271 powers
SB6, 15 amp, fuel pump relay
SB7, 8, and 9 but they are empty, more to follow
SB10, 10 amp, MAF pin 2
SB11, 10 amp, Primary O2 heater
SB12, 10 amp, Post cat O2 heater

J317 powers
SB28, 15 amp, ecu
SB30, 10 amp, Cam solenoids and vacuum solenoids
SB43, 20 amp, coils
SB29, 5 amp, coolant pump relay
J496 to SB15, coolant pump

so, basically, it's all there in the mk5, just needs a bit of thought and pin rearrangement. of particular note though is that the ECU on the passat is powewred by a 25 amp circuit and the R32 is 15 amp, with the resulting smaller wire size. as with the state of SB7, 8, and 9, it would seem that a possible solution is to get terminals of the appropriate wire size and insert them in the connector into the panel. i haven't confirmed the possiblity of doing that just yet as i am concentrating on prepping the shell still but that will be plan A in the new year. i haven't compared the R32 with other mk5 arrangments as my head is still hurting lol, but it should be similar i would think. when i get to actually moving wires n stuff, i will post up what i actually do. one other difference of note is that the MAF is powered differently between the cars. on the passat, the MAF is stil powered by J271 but that goes to another relay, J329 and then powers MAF pin 5.

anyways, more to follow in the new year when all my parts get here, will keep adding to this as i can. hope this helps someone else too.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Hey, ypu guys can move this wherever ypu want, i'll keep adding to it lol.

Stole a few mins this morning before everyone woke up and cleaned up the rear half of the underside. Got a good look at it as a result, and compared to some things i have worked on, she's absolutely mint lol. I have 2 or 3 broken scews to deal with next.

At any rate, in a few days i'll gome back with a wire wheel and get all the flaky stuff off and hit it with good anti rust paint to stop futher flakes. The floor under the seats are almost perfect, they just need a clean. Debatable if i will painter there or not, but given how far i will have gone by then, may as well. I'll getcthe rear wheel wells done at the same time and then that should conclude the whole 45yo man with backache lying on a concrete slab in sub zero weather lol.

Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Aircraft Motor vehicle

·
Registered
644 Posts
That is looking pretty good. Track car . Whilst you have a bare floorpan it is tempting to paint the entire underside in something hard wearing . POR15 is excellent, can be brushed or sprayed, dries to a very hard finish , good on local patches of light corrosion and in a range of colours . And it can be top coated if required .

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Por 15 is a staple for the canadian auto enthousiast lol. I have stained many a garage floor with drops of that stuff!!!!

Christmas got all messed up due to the plague so i may get a bit more time out there than planned over the next few days.

Got my passat fuel rail today from germany while i still have to wait another 2 weeks for my ecu from the states (international logistics never fail to make me crazy lol).

Most of you guys are probably already enjoying christmas, so merry christmas, see ya on the other side!

101 - 120 of 156 Posts