For peace of mind, before i went too far down the road, popped the head off the 3.6 today. Whew! Saulgoodman! Bores in good shape, just some carbon to clean up. Interesting piston faces to get the compression up...
Thanks for the heads up. It's pretty neat, the arms for the links are threaded onto the bodies as well so they can be adjusted fairly easily it would seem. AST already got back to me and agreed i am owed top plates, they'll sort it in the new year. In the meantime, got the back half painted. The downside is it makes the front half look horrible now so i guess i'll paint that over the next few days lol. Thought i found a suitable blue for the interior but it's too light. Will keep looking.
That looks excellent . Great work. Yes.The drop link collars are adjustable but I found that with 8.5x19 wheels with an offset of 48, the rim of the wheel caught the collar . Got round it with a bit of milling work and lowering the collar right to the the bottom of the threads and shortening my drop links . Spacer or offset of , say 40, would have saved the hassle .
Yeah, haven't even begun the whole wheel/tire part of the equation. The bank account may have an issue with it to be honest. I may just have to live with the oe 18s for next year, which i suspect will not be a full season anyways.
As for the prettying it up part i am starting now, this is when i usually start losing patience, skip steps and it looks ok for a few days. Then the steps i skipped bleed thru and it becomes a giant mess.... Must. Stay. Patient.
Will finish the front half of the underside this weekend. Before i deal with the inside tho, i need to get the harnesses in from thru the firewall.....which will be a massive pain.
So, i may have leaped before i fully looked at things wrt the 3.6 swap and likely have wasted some money. Started filling a shopping cart to refresh the touareg engine i have and hot damn that got very spicey very quickly.
I have located a reasonably priced, low mileage passat 3.6 that i am likely going to buy instead.
The pros are that it should need absolutely nothing other than fluids and a set of plugs, the car costs less than the parts for refreshing the current motor, i'd basically have a complete spare drivetrain and suspension. And most importantly, it has all the electrical sorted as it's a running car.
The cons are wife points, size/weight and current location. Wife points are always a concern lol. It's about 2" shorter than my trailer and would be pretty much the max weight rating of my tow combo. And it's 6 hours north of here. Ie: where there's proper friggin winter, it's already half buried in snow and -20⁰c for daily highs.
Goddamn i'm dumb for thinking about this.
But it represents significantly less work to swap in..... and the engine should need nothing (less than half the mileage of my r32!)
And still a crap ton cheaper than turboing the 3.2!
Oh ya, it's a 2006 so it may have the aluminum rear subframe lol. Cheaper than the flight to the uk to pick yours andy lol
I see the pro’s . Running engine and all that . Wiring . All fine as long as you transplant the Passat wiring into your Golf . But you will not want all the Passat stuff, so you will need to prune it somewhat, which will almost certainly cause a headache or three. You are doing a radical rebuild of your car with little compromise for road use , so you could completely discard the o.e wiring and build in only what you really need for a track car . In which case the Passat is another engine you don’t need. But, on the flip side, the Pasat will almost certainly have the alloy frame , and alloy hubs front and rear, and the car does run and drive and the price is favourable and some bits you do not need you can sell on as they are quite rare .
If its any consolation, I has started to make plans for an engine rebuild then along comes a fully rebuilt engine that can be heard running with turbo and all, forged bottom end , Shrick cams , all the pipework etc at a price way less than it would cost me to do it .
Anyway , a tricky call for you .
Basically what's happened is that the price of the swap using a touareg 3.6 has skyrocketed given the amount of passat pieces i need to work in a mk5 painlessly. The irony is that if i werw to put it in say, a mk2, i could probably use a lot more of the touareg stuff outta the yard for pennies.
Basically i am at a gut check moment, commit to the swap or stay 3.2.
If i commit to the swap, the donor car is the way to go for a few additional reasons. Mainly for sanity this winter. If i get it, then i can bring it home and let it sit while i get the shell put back together and not touch a single wire. Depending on timing, i can then put the 3.2 back in and go out and set the car up in the spring. In the meantime, i can fiddle with the passat and do all the wire trimming on that while ensuring it all still works. Then when i am ready, swap the whole lot over and remove the r32 harness completely unharmed and therefor 100% reversable...or sellable for good money.
The bonus being i would have a complete spare driveline and the touareg engine i already have becomes a good backup for parts.
A good bit of future proofing and saner work pace.....
Still haven't gotten the video of it running so not a done deal yet.
We will see.
As for your dilemma, one thing i have learned as i get older and finances get a bit more flexible is that my time is worth money too. If you are comitted to going FI, buying a running setup may hurt the bank account in one shot but if it saves you time and money in rhe long run......
Having read your plan, it makes good sense to go down the Passat route for all the reasons you outline and yes, getting the rest of the car working properly first and not worrying about the power unit is great solution. The main reason why I have not touched my engine and plan not to do so until I am completely happy with the chassis . Just trying to decide if the Barclaycard can take some short term strain for, as you say, a long term gain .
pulled the trigger on the passat. got video and had a good chat with the seller. actually honest dude from up north who didn't try to fake it. an actual cold start on a -25* morning after having not ran for a bit....battery struggled. it'll need a good clean (and some thawing out!) but it'll put me in a really good place for later. now i need to get in touch with the dealer tomorrow and see if i can cancel my order to try and not waste sooo much money.... we'll see.
Long day today. I picked up the passat. 6 hours in to northern ontario to pull it outta a snowdrift in -23⁰. Oh the stupid things i do..... sometimes i get reminded how big this place it. Saw mile markers along the way. 1800kms....to the provincial border....
A coupla issues to figure out on it but otherwise it will temain untouched for a coupla months.
Confirmed it has the aluminum rear subframe though
Just tried to start it, -27 last night did nothing for the battery i suppose.... because it's on the trailer, i can't open the doors -> ingress/egress is thru the trunk therefore i am gonna wait a bit till i jump it and try again and give it some revs. Haldex is not working but there's codes for abs sensors so probably that. I have sensors to put on already so i'll mess around with that and then play around my neighbourhood on bald all season tires to systems check. Speaking of tires, it's on 17s so i may have the wheel situation sorted as well now.
Long day, froze my nuts off, but it seems like it will come good as a result.
Here in the U.K. we do not understand the concept of -27 . Our freezers go down to -18.That is our limit . If the outside temp goes down to -5 , it is exceptionally cold .
Frozen solid or not , still a good move. Hope you managed to cancel your parts order for the other engine .
As for the parts order.... yeah i am a bit pissy about that. The harness is a special order, so no refund. I can understand that. However, it would seem that it hasn't even been manufactured yet as the dealer said their supplier doesn't have it.... ie: does cancelling actually affect anything at the moment? I bet it'll be 2 months and nothing has happened.... meanwhile that's $500 i could use elsewhere....
EDIT: after much persuasion, i managed to get the frozen battery enough electrons to get the car fired up, off my trailer and into the garage. looks like the main causalty from the experience is that the abs module has no coding so many faults attributed to that, including awd. so, apparently my next move, once i thaw out a bit is to throw codes at the module to see which one sticks and maybe everything works. sweet.
Baby steps. Got the abs sorta figured out but electronic parking brake is owning me. I think the rear knock sensor is angry, luckily i have one sitting around. Unluckily, it looks to be a PITA to change. Just wanna confirm i can do a hard pull with what's there then i'll leave it alone till swap time comes.
Unfortunately tho, i did make an error. Gearbox is not dsg in 2006. So i don't have a spare of everything now, just most of it lol.