VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Sounds abit like mine when I bought my r32, you could try changing tensioner at back of engine first. I didn't want to risk it so I just replaced chains, tensioners, guide rails and done few other things while engine was out but it's not cheap.

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
My old one used to do this after a service, likely because the oil was thinner than old stuff. VCDS didnt indicate chain stretch either

·
361 Posts
Mines doing that I'm sure it's normal

·
361 Posts
Mines doing that I'm sure it's normal

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheempeej said:
My old one used to do this after a service, likely because the oil was thinner than old stuff. VCDS didnt indicate chain stretch either
I'm a bit naive with this engine I'm used to 1.8T. What is VCDS?

Hoping it is normal as playing it safe and having it all changed is what sort of money? Had some (overpriced) work done at VW. Earlier and they claimed not to recognise the noise, surely they should do if there a big main dealer! Probably pulling me fiddle in the hope if its serious that they'll get the work!

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
I'm a bit naive with this engine I'm used to 1.8T. What is VCDS?

Hoping it is normal as playing it safe and having it all changed is what sort of money? Had some (overpriced) work done at VW. Earlier and they claimed not to recognise the noise, surely they should do if there a big main dealer! Probably pulling me fiddle in the hope if its serious that they'll get the work!
VCDS is the diagnostics system used for the VAG range. Formally known as Vag-Com

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
R32 Baz said:
Sounds abit like mine when I bought my r32, you could try changing tensioner at back of engine first. I didn't want to risk it so I just replaced chains, tensioners, guide rails and done few other things while engine was out but it's not cheap.
Did you get it done at the main dealers?

·
1,064 Posts
You could do that or if you could Find someone on hear that's near to you that has vcds
They could test it for you
If the chains are OK it could be The dual mass flywheel it can make a noise like that as well

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
MUSHY 16V said:
You could do that or if you could Find someone on hear that's near to you that has vcds
They could test it for you
If the chains are OK it could be The dual mass flywheel it can make a noise like that as well
Not a bad idea, what code would flag up?

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheempeej said:
No codes, you need to check measuring blocks 208 & 209 on VCDS to see if it over 8. Remember there are a few variables that can affect the read out
Cool, fingers crossed my bro still has Vagcom as I'm pretty keen to take it off my mind specially with the noise issue I'm having.

·
168 Posts
You can still have a rattly chain though even if it is in tolerance.
If the noise is coming from the top right of the engine I.e. the chain cover then there probably is a bit if play in there, I had this on my old A3 3.2.
The chain, guides vvt's etc were all changed to cure a running problem, it cured the noise but the problem was still there, turned out it was a software issue and nothing to do with the chains!

·
1,064 Posts
if it had a fault code it would most likely have the engine light on by now

cant remeber them off the top of my head but read the fault codes on my friends r32 and it had the 3 that come up for the chains his has the engine light coming on
i'm going to check mesuring blocks 208\209 they should be with in +8/-8
when he comes back with it

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
if it had a fault code it would most likely have the engine light on by now

cant remeber them off the top of my head but read the fault codes on my friends r32 and it had the 3 that come up for the chains his has the engine light coming on
i'm going to check mesuring blocks 208\209 they should be with in +8/-8
when he comes back with it
Cam + crank corrolation

Fuel trim

Overfuelling

Are the 3 diagnosed on the A3 in the other thread

·
Registered
559 Posts
Fingers crossed then ill take that on board lads and check back when i know more. Just so i know, can anyone recommend a decent place to have the work done in the midlands?, hopefully catch up with all of ya Monday !

·
1,064 Posts
Cam + crank corrolation
thats the ones i got
dont think it is over fueling but never looked that hard at the messuring blocks as i was trying to find the ones for the chains
and he only came over so i could dump the eeprom from his clocks so i could fix some clocks long story lol

am going to have a second look as the light have come back on
in fact one of the fault codes for the cams came back right away

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
thats the ones i got
dont think it is over fueling but never looked that hard at the messuring blocks as i was trying to find the ones for the chains
and he only came over so i could dump the eeprom from his clocks so i could fix some clocks long story lol

am going to have a second look as the light have come back on
in fact one of the fault codes for the cams came back right away
If the chain was stretched the fuelling would be all to france anyway? Or would it compensate?

·
1,064 Posts
it can only compensate so much of fueling before elm light comes on
but not sure how much the chains would affect the fueling
you would think the timing must be a long way out before that happens
i'll ask about

1 - 20 of 21 Posts