VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK guys I am going to boot camp in march and once I get done I have decided to buy a new car as a little gift to myself for becoming a Marine. Only thing is I know nothing about VW.

Anyway I was wondering if anyone could tell me the main differences, ups and downs, and any other useful information that would make my choosing of a car easier.

Right now I am stuck between a later model R32 (2007 or lower) and a newer (08) R32.

My main questions are as follows.

1. Main differences
2. Specs (HP, Torque and 1/4 mile time, size or turbo, and so on)
3. Does VW make a GTI model faster than the R32 or is that the best.
4. Which has better after market parts and what parts are to come for the newer model.

Any way if there is anything that I forgot I will post in but I am pretty sure that is it, but if there is anything you can think of that would be helpful to me in choosing a car then please post that information.

·
3,732 Posts
welcome to the site :ciao:

main differences are the styling really and the trim, everything else is marginal with the mk5 slightly more refined and the mk4 being slightly more raw

the R32 is the flagship, so if your asking is it the fastest golf then the answer is yes. the gti is a cheaper option and just as tunable however the r32 will deliver a better car once tuned as it has the larger engine and the 4mo although its all down to taste and money. the r32 is just a good platform to start with 'out of the box'

the mk4 has been around longer so at the moment is the model that has the most tuning options and the easiest modding route however in time the mk5 will follow suit.

if your trying to decide on a car to make fast for racing then i personally would choose the mk4 as there a better choice of performance upgrades and with it being cheaper than the mk5 means youll have a bigger budget to play with once youve bought one. and theres plenty of companies selling products and offering tuning packages and support

best advice is actually get yourself in a car and try one, forum advice will only get you so far and an investment of this nature should demand more research mate, take a peek at your local dealership and see what they have

good luck with your training too :top:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information, I honestly prefer the body styling of the MK4 (just more sexy I guess) but I love the interior of the MK5, can anyone provide some better pictures of the interior of a MK4 that way I can get a better view of the main differences between the two interiors.

·
2,808 Posts
Dont do it! Once you see the MK4 interior itl cloud your judgement, stick to the MK5 mate, its faster and you get chrome at the front..
To be honest, whichever you get you'll love it. MK5.

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
5,616 Posts
LOL Rupo, he asks, so I provide. MkIV in DBP has always been fastest :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK another question, does the MK5 only come with the paddle shifters, or does it come stick as well.

I have never driven paddle shifters but there is a definite fear that I will not like them at all

·
3,732 Posts
dsg is like marmite you either love it or hate it, however that said the vw dsg is one of the best there is. but yes, it is available in manual too mate

·
1,084 Posts
DSG or 6 -speed depends what country you are in Arcane.

Europe - both
US - DSG, 2 door only
Japan - 4 door DSG, or 2 door 6sp only.

Also other options are different by country (eg colours/seats/gadgets...). Obviously, prices are different by country too, so you may want to consider importing (although you may then only get a 2 year VW warranty rather than 3 year).

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I live in the U.S. so my only option for a MK5 would DSG which I am assuming means it has the paddle shifters.

In the long run though what is actually going to be faster, will the 6-speed work better for a 10sec drag car than the DSG because if so I am going to go with 6-speed

·
3,732 Posts
hadnt realised you were stateside :) the dsg means you can change gears a fraction faster yes, but that naturally rules out the mk4 for you then

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.