VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi R32 owners,

Can anyone please help me with advice on an emerging but worrying problem I have with my 2006 model R32.

I recently took ownership of this privately owned car and am now am thoroughly beating myself up on the basis that I missed what is potentially a very expensive repair to be carried out on the DSG gearbox but at present I am still in the dark as to what the problem is.

Firstly so you are all aware i am not a DSG virgin having owned in the past a 6 speed DGS Golf Plus 1.9 TDi, and 7 speed DSG Golf Mk6 1.4 TSi, a 7 speed DSG Skoda Roomster 1.2 TSi and a 7 speed DSG Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSi. My fiancee currently owns a 6 speed DSG Golf Mk7 2.0 TDi. So you can see I am not totally unaware of the pitfalls or idiosyncrasies of the functions of these units, but up to now apart from the clutch packs wearing out on my Roomster I had never had any issues with any of these gearboxes. I believe the DSG gearbox is a great piece of technology but as with all things when things go wrong there is a price to pay. However when the manufacturer and service departments then fail to admit to any potential issues it may have then its a whole new ball game.
Somehow I stupidly missed the issue with this gearbox because on the day I test drove the R32 the gentlemen who owned the car lived in a cobbled stone cut de sac and I dont think I would have heard the downshift noise and the main roads with very quiet so i tested its performance and did not test the downshift as much as I should have. (A lesson to all)

However sadly the R32 DSG unit has a problem to which even a local VW dealership is worryingly saying they don't know what it is......................and that I really can not believe!!!

The problem

Firstly on downshift in auto mode from 3-2 and 2-1 there is a very audible clunk/thud call it what you will. If I am watching the display I can see the numbers change and then hear the noise immediately after. It is genuinely a loud noise and can also actually be sometimes felt through the floor of the car. However if I use the paddles the noise either is not there at all or is much less audible.
Secondly when taking off from rest in 1st gear there is particularly if am not excruciatingly gentle with the accelerator a delay for a second before the car jolts off. It is as if the gear is not engaging correctly even though the car is creeping forward. I have to say I have on a couple of occasions nearly soiled myself on busy junctions because the car has not picked up quickly enough.
The gearbox otherwise seems to upshift and downshift correctly and is generally smooth. The gearbox has also been carefully maintained at its 40,000 mile servicing intervals. The car itself has impeccable service history.

The VW service department having looked at my car and so say spent 2.5 hours road testing and examining the vehicle only to claim they heard the clunking noise once..............that is a mystery to me as it genuinely happens all the time, but there you go, so £105 later I am left with the service department saying keep driving the car and see if it gets worse and and the really reassuring dont worry some of these gearboxes do make a noise now and then!!!!

Conclusion

I am now left with an R32 that I will be unable to sell as anyone with an ounce of common sense will drive it and know there is an issue, so on that basis I will need to find a deaf person who wants a R32 and has never driven a DSG!! whats the chances of that......?

Dont get me wrong i love the car, its look, the amazing engine and the way it drives (when changing up) but I know in my heart there is a problem but if VW can't say what it is then that to me is either a servicing denial or a case of them hoping the gearbox goes bang and I go back to them to receive a huge repair bill.

I have read other forum members experiences with potentially similar issues but wonder if anyone can definitively tell me what this problem is and the likely spend to put it right and where best to get it done. I live near Torquay Devon but do go to Hampshire quite a lot so either of the areas would be good for me.

Thank you for reading this post and any advice you can give would be truly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
If the DMF (dual mass flywheel) is on its way out I've been told it makes jerky clunky downshifts.

If the Car is making a lot of chatter noises at idle from underneath even when warmed up then it could be that.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I'd suspect the DMF as well as they seem to be a weak point on these cars. Have a look at this video.

If your car is making the same noise in P and N and it usually goes away when put into D or R then your DMF is either knackered or on it's way out.

A failing DMF can cause clunks, clicks, hard downshifts, delays in switching from D to R and vice versa as well as unpleasant rattling noises.

If you end up getting the DMF replaced (if diagnosed as faulty) then make sure they also replace the needle pilot bearing at the same time.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
oh dear
looks like that's going to be my next job. Sorry to hijack, it get a bit of chatter when sat in traffic and sometimes goes away when in D. no other real symptoms though!
If it's chattering when the engine is warmed up then it's best to get it checked. If it happens at all when in D then I'd get it looked at sooner rather than later.

The DMF shouldn't really be making any noise at all, cold or warm. Both my replacements were silent initially. First one lasted six months, second lasted three before they became noisy.

Mine's gone back to VW again for yet another potential replacement.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've occasionally had a clunky downshift with my dsg. Mainly from 2nd to 1st. And I've also experienced a slight delay sometimes when setting off at junctions. From what I can gather I think these things are pretty normal for the dsg in the r32. If the box is changing up smoothly and down through the rest of the gears I wouldn't worry too much. It's an automated manual at the end of the day and I think the v6 in the r32 shows it up more than in say a gti or tdi golf. Unless you've got flashing PRNDS or a really lurching gearbox I would say it's pretty normal from what I've read and experienced. Also heard a reset through Vcds can help with this and has saved a lot of people some money.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Even with my slightly noisy (on cold starts) flywheel I get no clunks from mine changing up or down in any gear. Unless you're looking at the display you generally can't tell it's actually changed gear. It's had a DSG rebuild and new clutch packs though. I don't get any delays when setting off either.

The only thing it might do is make an occasional click when going from 3rd to 2nd but you have to be listening for it with the windows down.

Oddly enough, the DSG box is far smoother and quieter than my Leon FR TDI and that was brand new. That did clunk from 2nd to 1st and would have a delay on take off. Presumably, there are certain tolerances as to what is deemed 'normal' or acceptable.

A properly working DSG box is a delight though.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I've occasionally had a clunky downshift with my dsg. Mainly from 2nd to 1st. And I've also experienced a slight delay sometimes when setting off at junctions. From what I can gather I think these things are pretty normal for the dsg in the r32. If the box is changing up smoothly and down through the rest of the gears I wouldn't worry too much. It's an automated manual at the end of the day and I think the v6 in the r32 shows it up more than in say a gti or tdi golf. Unless you've got flashing PRNDS or a really lurching gearbox I would say it's pretty normal from what I've read and experienced. Also heard a reset through Vcds can help with this and has saved a lot of people some money.
would have to disagree - you cant tell mines changed gear, either up or down.

id be tempted to change the oil and see if that makes a difference?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Everyone has a slightly different experience I suppose with dsg. I live with the odd jerk in slow moving traffic by switching it into s or manual and selecting 1st before I come to a stop, I think it's the computer deciding whether it needs to be in 1st or 2nd and it sometimes jerks in between. It's fantastic though once you get moving and so quick through the gears. I put up with it because it felt so much quicker and sharper than the manual version. Try a dsg adaptation before you bother pulling apart the gearbox though. It could have just learned a few nasty habits.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My oil is due to be replaced in 5k miles. Is it worth waiting the extra miles or just get it done?

Also, I'd do the adaption if I didn't have to drive for an hour afterwards
It cant hurt to do it early, the adaptation drive is definitely worth doing though. Ive heard of people saying its transformed the DSG. I dont think you need to do it for an hour either. As long as you go through the gears and spend time in certain ones it should be ok. Anyway good luck with it mate hope it turns out to be an easy fix. Also if you were to need a new mechatronic, if you know a mechanic that can remove your gearbox, you can get them sent to a company called ECU Testing. And they can fix the mechatronic for a fraction of the price. A mate of mine had his GTI DSG go wrong and it cost him 750 all in and that includes the labour to remove and reinstall the gearbox, better than paying 2k plus at VW.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Don't want to hijack the thread but has anyone ever experienced a sleeping reverse gear I will call it - when putting into reverse from drive or manual or whtever occasionally nothing happens no clunking or horrible noises or anything just the car stays stationery untill I touch the throttle and it wakes up and moves also noticed it sometimes struggles to reverse up dropped curbs. Normal driving it is smooth as silk and no noises or lights on dash it's just when I sometimes put it in reverse any ideas?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.