VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening

Its that lovely time of the year again where i have to insure the R

Just throwing it out there to see if anybody has any good advice as to which company to go for. im 24 and have 3 points on my license.

Im looking around but thats a job on its own so any comments would be muchly appreciated.

Cheers

·
19,388 Posts
To be perfectly honest 3pts on your license is not such a big thing these days with insurance companies. Just do the rounds as you would normally do, if you didn't have them.

I've had 9 points on my license in the past when I was much younger.

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
What code is it? Im guessing an SP30 or the likes, speeding and being on your phone parking offences is no major,

·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sp30. i did it a week before i bought my R last year, in a volvo of all cars, and it put my insurance up £300.
my whole family have my mum on to reduce it, even my dad haha

·
19,388 Posts
It's easy done. I've had SP30s 7 times, all 3pts except for one where they were generous and gave me 6 points.

None with a speed camera, always the personal touch from the Police.

Ironically never got one in my 5 years of R32 ownership

·
Nappy Wearing Member
881 Posts
Like bob said points hardly make a difference, back in feb when i was 19 i insured my R with 6 points and it was only £970 thats with a pass plus and my mum and step dad aswell, tried it without the points a few times because i was tempted to not mention them but decided against it, ended up only being 60 odd cheaper.

·
2,665 Posts
Ive had numerous SP30s over many years...usually pick 3 up as 3 fall off.

I was a bit unlucky leaving some temporary roadworks on a national speed limit A road with a temp restriction and was nabbed as i accelerated out of the last few feet of the road works....its does have a slightly annoying negative impact on the premium but nothing too bad. That was 2 years ago now.

·
Super Moderator
3,628 Posts
Like bob said points hardly make a difference, back in feb when i was 19 i insured my R with 6 points and it was only £970 thats with a pass plus and my mum and step dad aswell, tried it without the points a few times because i was tempted to not mention them but decided against it, ended up only being 60 odd cheaper.
Hi, who was this quote with ?, im 20 now, 3 Years NCB, and 3 points which will be hopefully coming off in April, im getting daft quotes of 5K plus !

Cheers womble

·
Nappy Wearing Member
881 Posts
Hi, who was this quote with ?, im 20 now, 3 Years NCB, and 3 points which will be hopefully coming off in April, im getting daft quotes of 5K plus !

Cheers womble
Ouch!

Elephant, always been with them and I go for the 10 months which drops it down even more and still get 1years ncb!

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm with Axa with the mrs on the policy and have SP30 and mine was £498 so yeh sp30 nowadays is not a biggy really, just shop around cause there are good insurances out there.

·
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Cheers womble
i got a quote back with adrian flux with mods declared, 3 points and my mum on and it was about £750

·
Registered
977 Posts
Ouch!

Elephant, always been with them and I go for the 10 months which drops it down even more and still get 1years ncb!
Im on this policy.... Just about to renew this week.... Paid 1460 last year but acquired an lc20 in Feb so not sure what the damage will be

·
Registered
0 Posts
I do notice that putting a woman driver as a named driver on my policy reduced it by 100-200 quid, my old dear's on the policy and she'd has 2 or so minor accidents in the past 5 years, i would never trust her behind the wheel on my car but it drops the price dramatically.

However, adding my old man who is a very good driver with 9 years + NCB, increases the price by a few hundred quid, which i cannot seem to understand.

PS: I don't have any points on my license and i'm 21.

·
179 Posts
As poeple have mentioned, SP30's dont make a huge amount of difference now. At the minute ive got my dad, his wife and my girlfriend as named drivers on mine, giving me a combined saving of around £600!! i tried it without my points (6 of - one SP30 and one CU something or other - for having one tyre below legal minimum tread) and that didnt make a huge difference tbh, maybe £130 if i remember.

Named drivers seems to be the way forward to add them little extra savings. Try Money saving expert website which tells you which comparison sites to check out for the cheapest possible price and how to weedle it down a bit.

For info im 25 - 4 years ncb, the mentioned 3 named drivers, 6 points, no crashes - £800 with aviva

1 - 15 of 15 Posts