VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as some of you may know I am going to be supercharging the R this month, and im trying to decide what kit to go for but im a bit worried about reliability tbh, ok it's not a daily driver only out for a blast at weekends but I dont have ££££ to spend on repairing it when it goes wrong.

so heres my thoughts id like to hear yours especially if you have these kits installed or any other kit or are considering one.

Storm Developments - Rotrex Kit 450hp

I am seriously considering the Rotrex, kit, it's slightly above my budget but it's doable. it is imo the neatest install only thing that im worried about is reliability not the kit breaking just the power output - I dont want to be changing clutches or buying new gearboxes/back ends a few months down the line, im sceptical that you can take a engine from 240hp to 450hp without consequinces please correct me if im wrong.

VF Engineering Stage 2 - With Race Gas ? 380hp
im not so worried about reliability with this one. it seems to be proven and power output is 60 - 70 hp lower than the storm kit maby evan more if you cant get the race gas option on 99 octane. so I would not be so worried about drivetrain issues.

both kits are around 5k and it will be a DIY install, I have considered a turbo kit but I would be looking for around the same price and a UK supplier. but I havent really found any, maby just havent looked hard enough though.

on the DIY note the storm kit needs you to fit a head spacer, which is a fair amount of work the VF one dosent.

another thing that could be a issue is MOT. what like emissions do these kit's put out and is anyone running decats on them ? will i have a problem passing a MOT ?

·
405 Posts
I spoke to storm developments for my 2.8 v6 they sounded very confident in their kits, when i spoke to a large popular German tuning house regarding the VF kits they said they would do it if i wanted but advised me on reliability issues.

·
616 Posts
IMO, I'd look into turbo. I had the VF stage 2 with race file and it was nothing on my HPA turbo. I've upped the boost on my HPA and the thing flys! It ripped before I upped the boost! It drinks too but what do you expect.... The turbo torque give you a huge grin, as does the noise!
The VF was very linear, it was fast but not really a driver's car, it wasn't as free as the turbo, everything feels light again, nothing dragging it down. To date I've still not had a major issue with it, no engine codes, nothing! I melted a pipe where I installed a boost gauge, but I cable tied it onto a hot pipe (my stupid fault).
I keep saying to myself I'm going to sell it, but I just can't do it! It's an animal!
Have a look here, there are vids of my car charged and turbo'd!
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...2&search_type=

·
616 Posts
khutula said:
What figures did you get from the dyno for for FT360 Keith?
Mine Dyno'd 370, can't remember the torque. The VF was supposed to be 400.... but there was no way! On a flyover in sevenoaks I hit 115mph from 30mph at the sigh, with the HPA I hit 135mph and still pulling hard. (O yeah, closed circuit.....)

G

·
Deckedr32 said:
Mine Dyno'd 370, can't remember the torque. The VF was supposed to be 400.... but there was no way! On a flyover in sevenoaks I hit 115mph from 30mph at the sigh, with the HPA I hit 135mph and still pulling hard. (O yeah, closed circuit.....)
Sounds perfect - if only I could get there :frustrated:

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heres some pricing and power info so far.

Storm Developments Rotrex Kit
Power 450hp
Tourqe : 390ft-lbs
Price : £5250 GBP
Shipping n/a UK Based

NS Racing - VF Engineering STG 2 Combined (RACE GAS)
Power: 370hp
Tourqe: 295ft-lbs
Price: £3950 GBP
Shipping n/a UK Based

HPA Turbo Kit
Power: 360 hp
Tourqe: 317 ft-lbs
Price: £5052 GBP
Shipping: n/a Yet

im waiting to find out shipping costs for the HPA Kit, but have also emailed VAG-Tech about the HGP kit.

·
Premium Member
7,998 Posts
Deckedr32 said:
IMO, I'd look into turbo. I had the VF stage 2 with race file and it was nothing on my HPA turbo. I've upped the boost on my HPA and the thing flys! It ripped before I upped the boost! It drinks too but what do you expect.... The turbo torque give you a huge grin, as does the noise!
The VF was very linear, it was fast but not really a driver's car, it wasn't as free as the turbo, everything feels light again, nothing dragging it down. To date I've still not had a major issue with it, no engine codes, nothing! I melted a pipe where I installed a boost gauge, but I cable tied it onto a hot pipe (my stupid fault).
I keep saying to myself I'm going to sell it, but I just can't do it! It's an animal!
Hi Keith, link is dead? :(

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well guys I made my decision couple weeks ago.

I Went for the VF Kit and heres why.

Im not mentioning names but some people when I spoke to them on the phone didnt seem all that helpfull or took a long long time to reply via email some didnt bother at all. this is quite a big issue for me. if people wont speak to me and tell me what I want to know now how will the aftersales service be ?

Another big issue is because im on a DIY install I didnt want to take the cylnder head off outside the house and start putting in head spacers all the other kits needed this and run more boost to compensate this is why they have a higher power output i reckon the VF kit but im assuming what they can produce reliably on stock compression too much more and things start to melt

The FT360 didnt come with a FMIC and I like the idea of the cheeky intercooler hiding behind bumper

I realise that in the long run ill probably spend more money on the VF kit to get the same output as I could of from the Rotrex or FT kits and that the install is not as neat as the rest I cannot knock the other 2 kits on neatness the FT360 and the Rotrex are verry impressive but im not building a show car so how under the bonnet looks dosent bother me.

but I would rather that I upgraded some other things first before going for more power such as clutch, brakes engine mounts etc...

I will be posting up about my install, problems how it was done pictures etc... and the rolling road printouts maby some videos too

·
2,443 Posts
Deckedr32 said:
:xD if do sell it send me a pm mate!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts