VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening chaps, currently trying to fit my bilstein B14's and having an issue with the PSI tuning topmounts ive bought. Need to get this sorted asap as i need the car for work tomorrow.

Just putting together the top parts of the coilover, new bearings fit a treat, put the topmount bush ontop and then went to fit the nut which just goes straight through the middle of the mount as if the nuts not big enough.

The top mount on my old strut (OEM) seems to be fixed in place by the nut, but even looking at that nut if i could get it off (which i can't at the minute) this one would probably sink straight through the middle too.

Should the PSI mount be fixed in place ontop of the strut? Anyone have experience of these, what they found if so?

I don't really like the idea of the mount sat 'floating' if you like, but if thats how its intended then........

Any help please chaps, as i said sooner the better.

Rob

·
2,303 Posts
It's fine mate

I have fitted 3 sets of top mounts to my car and the suspension unit should have your spacer then bearing and then the nut should torque up onto that then the bush just slips over the top it shouldn't be bolted down it just rests on top once it's in place you then put the metal cup bolts in place which keeps the bush in place

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for that bud, i had a feeling it might of but just needed piece of mind.

I'm following a how to guide thats states its ok to leave the spacer off, as it can cause the bearing to crack when torqued up to 60NM. Do you think it would be ok as like i said i cant seem to get the old strut bearing nut off, i think someones used a windy gun on it when fitting my springs a while back.

One more thing mate, how did you manage to get it torqued up with a torque wrench, struggling a bit.

Cheers again Pred,

Rob

·
2,303 Posts
It's best to use the spacer mate if you have a vice then you can usually loosen it but a impact gun is what I used to take it off makes things much easier if you can take your struts down to a garage they will take them off for you and of you take your new ones down they can also tighten them all up for you won't cost you much a fiver at the most

I tightened mine up by just doing them up hand tight then impact gunned them a bit more just blipped the gun I know you shouldn't but I have done it to last coilovers and they were still tight when I came to take them off

You can just do them up by hand just hand tighten them as much as you dare you shouldn't really crack the bearing but as said its best to take them to a garage I usually just tighten some bolts to FT especially droplinks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts