VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need some help with this guys! This is doing my head in to the point where i'm thinking of selling the car. I feel like I've tried everything and go nowhere! At low speeds on uneven road surfaces there is a load knocking noise coming from the front end of the car, the car also makes this noise when rolling the car and slamming on the brakes (You get like a forward/Backward Knock/Knock as you hit the brake).

My cars front end setup is as followed, I cant be the only one with this setup...

- Bilstein B14's
- Powerflex Top Strut Bushes
- Whiteline 24mm Anti-Roll Bar
- Custom Adjustable Drop Links
- EBC Red Stuff Pads
- 12mm spacers

I've had this problem for months now, no idea when it started but it was definitely before the Custom Droplinks, Top Strut Mounts & brake pads. Its probably worth mentioning my car is a high miler, 111k on the clock but I maintain everything to the highest possible standard, anything that it worn or could be replaced has, i'm ridiculous how thorough I am with the car and this is why this knock is DOING MY HEAD IN!!!!!!!

Things I've Tried:

- Top Strut Mount Bushes
- Bearings
- Adjustable Drop Links
- Checked bolt tightness of ARB, Droplinks, Brakes
- Replaced Steering Rack
- tightened subframe
- tightened wheel bolts

If anyone can help in anyway it will be massively appreciated, as I say I keep the car as good as possible but this is actually driving me mad! Also if anyone knows someone who could help just point me in the right direction or come round and hear it for yourself if you think you can help!

Thanks in advance guys! Really hope someone can help sort it!!!

·
4,134 Posts
One of the guys had this kind of noise, took about 18 months to get to the bottom of.
Turned out to be the subframe bushes, tightening the bolts is no good as they are stretch bolts.

·
South East Organiser
6,824 Posts
Id check the gear box mount too, just to be sure. being you say in moves when hitting brakes. could be engine moving.
How much are subframe bolts and mounts out of interest....

·
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've just fitted a new ECS dogbone mount so I can rule that out, sorry for not mentioning before hand.

Is it all bolts for the subframe? I think I'll have to give it a go! Really hoping that is the end of it!

I've also just had an engine mount replaced so I'm going to rule the engine mount idea out. I have already replaced drop links twice, ball joints twice, top mount bearings and bushes 3 times! I have even thought it could be the design of the Bilstein B14's which I can see being the last thing if subframe & bolts don't work? the springs are free to move when taking load off the car when they are wound right down as the top cap isnt fixed like the standard suspension, I had thought the cap may be freeing off when hitting an uneven surface or pothole then slamming into the top mount bush?

Thanks for all the advice so far! Really is driving me mental this!

·
4,134 Posts
themainlegend said:
That was me steff lol. I changed the bushes/mounts and the bolts and it sorted my problem after hundreds spent on tie rods, ball joints, top mounts etc etc!!
I know mate, I started writing that an hour before I finished it, bloody kids!
Once I'd posted I realised you beat me to it.

·
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just thought i'd update this as i've FINALLY found the knock!!

Actually found it a couple of weeks ago but needed to confirm! It turned out to be the Bilstein B14's, I had already removed the struts to see if they were bent or damaged and found nothing but after further investigation and replacing more or less EVERYTHING else! I found the struts were moving in stages when warm on un-even ground as if they were bent, very strange fault but that is definitely the source of the knock! I know a lot of people on here run the B14's so be aware if you happen to have a similar problem!!

I contacted Bilstein who were increadibly helpful, they have offered to repair/replace the struts under warrenty and promised a 2-3 day turn around however I had to go through my distributor so there postage times have delayed them a little but hopefully i'll have them back this week

Also happened to find problems with ARB hitting the wishbones, the re-design of the top strut mounts (By VW), and also the design of the B14 top cap, this doesnt help the Top Strut bushes after the re-design and is even worse with Powerflex fitted! I'll be posting all my findings and solutions on my project page when i get round to it

Reactions: JamesBaby

·
2,204 Posts
Christ, it's national MK4 R32 knocking noise week!!

I can agree with you on the top mount changes. I discovered last night that both the shouldered nut, and rubber mount have changed slightly, but have the same part numbers. The result of this on my car was the rubber mount was floppy and loose as hell and I got a horrific knocking through the chassis.

Old on the left, new on the right.

I can't believe such a tiny change brought about such nasty sounding noises, but sure enough, putting the old mounts and nuts back (with new bearings) solved the problem.

I also have some lateral movement in my passenger side damper rod (Original OEM B6), which must be the cause of a slight knock I'm hearing when hitting a bump on right handers. Makes sense as the nearside is where all the bumps are, so that side gets it first usually.

Did your B14 damper rods have any lateral movement? Seems to be a Bilstein mono-tube thing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts