VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just been to my local ice people if thats what you call them an asked for a speaker upgrade he gave me a few choices. I went for this

17cm alpine front speakers with tweaters
Alpine rear speakers
10inch sub in box
4 channel amp
Fitty kit cables etc
Labour
£850 excl head unit ive seen one i want on here

So what do you think is that a good price ive never done it before and my r stereo is rubbish lol

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
That's a lot of money.

Run the cables and put the speakers in yourself, then get an auto electrician to wire it in if your not comfortable?

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
ryanjames said:
Thats what i thought it cant be that hard lol i just dont get the wiring side of it all
Either do I but anyone can run cables neatly.

You can wire an amp easy enough, power, earth, phonos then your out puts. In your case 2 subs.

I'm sure standard front speakers are 13.5 cm

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
Front mk4 speakers are 16.5/17cm.

Reactions: PaulW

·
Eats Kitty Litter
7,307 Posts
Pointless if you have a crap stereo to start with.

·
587 Posts
ryanjames said:
Ive just been to my local ice people if thats what you call them an asked for a speaker upgrade he gave me a few choices. I went for this

17cm alpine front speakers with tweaters
Alpine rear speakers
10inch sub in box
4 channel amp
Fitty kit cables etc
Labour
£850 excl head unit ive seen one i want on here

So what do you think is that a good price ive never done it before and my r stereo is rubbish lol
There's no point in putting up a list like that as it tells us nothing. Alpine make several versions of speakers and they could be fitting the cheapest ones or the best ones.

Did they give you any model numbers at all?

Personally, I'd spend the money on Type R or Type X front end components, powered by a PDX amp. Then run a Type R sub and PDX monoblock amp for it.

Get an Alpine head unit that's Imprint compatible and it'll sort out the time alignment and crossover frequencies for you, otherwise any of the other head units will be fine but just needs more setting up. Alpine head units are quite bright, so if you don't like the sound then maybe try looking at Pioneer?

Leave the rear speakers as they are and just power them from the head unit for rear fill. Dynamat the doors and rear boot.

The PDX amps are really small an they might fit under the front seats if you have space. Otherwise you can stack them in the boot.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeh im thinkin of having james alpine but jot just yet..
Whys there no point i was just givin u a rough idea like thy gave me they said they wer good alipines £150?? I know nothin aboout speakers subs amps etc

·
.:R32OC Parking Attendant
4,025 Posts
I could suggest a decent kit if you give me a budget Ive got focals and sound awesome

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Hmmz...

I'm not 'into' car ICE if I'm honest. I also have focal's with an Apline HU - and find them harsh and too bright for my liking. I'll be shoving them in back soon and getting something more accurate for the front.

I have a little BOSS duel SUB/AMP in the boot/spare wheel which is total stealth and is there to help get the bass over the exhaust sound when motorway driving - works pretty well tbh.

I'm not into 'colouring' sound, I like it raw. I have KFK Rokit 6 monitors for my computer for example.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts