VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all I am a new member looking for some advice.
I am looking to purchase a new R32 and wondered what people thought of the car and set up.
I have been wondering if I should have the DSG or manual? I love the sound track that you get with manual and wonder if that will be totally lost with DSG.
I have already decided that I will have leather but is it worth the extra cash for the recaro's?
Also what do people think of the Edition 30?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
welcome to the forum mangante :)

I havent had first hand experience with the DSG box, from what i hear its a very good system, however personally i prefer the control you get with a manual box. i guess it depends on the drivers, if i was you i would try and test drive both!

As for the edition 30. its nice, but its no r32 ;)

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Welcome to the site.

I've not driven the Ed30 however i can tell you this : Once you've owned the .:R32 you really wont want to go for front wheel drive because of the understeer when its wet or too fast etc etc.

As for DSG , its prob the best auto box on the market at the minute. IIRC the DSg R32 is 0.? quicker in a straight line to 60mph.

However and again this is just personal opinion, I'm not a fan at all of auto boxes. I've found even on the smoothest change its still enough to unbalance a car mid-corner when at speed.

I drive cars at speed every working day because of my job, and as an advanced driver it spoils the drive for me.

I like to know if i've put the car in say third that its going to stay there.

And probably more to the point you cant just blip the throttle at any time with auto !!!! and trust me you'll really want to every now and again.

Just my opinion tho, :smokin:

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
he means its 0.something of a second quicker to 60. mainly due to the short-shift characteristics it has.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah thanks for that. I do think that I wil go for a manual over the dsg. I tested the R32 with manual and the Ed30 with Dsg.
Whats thoughts on the seats. Is it worth another £700 for Recaro's in your honest opinion?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
i have half cloth, and mac has full leather. however theyre different than the mk5. i like my cloth seats, and i had full leather recaros in my previous car. Again i think its personal preference

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
i like and have the full leather but they will sag and look untidy over time, half cloth seem neater to me.

If i was spendig the money tho i'd actually get the bigger konigs , you just dont see those in R32's , its like no one wanted to spend the extra cash

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
748 Posts
The DSG is 0.2 faster (officially), but then again it has been tested one-up at 6.0 without any mods.

I like the DSG in mine; sport mode is wonderful and the paddles on the wheel work well, but I understand that there are many purists who avoid even an automatic as good as this one like the plague.

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
i think its all personal choice, i'd avoid auto like the plague but if your doing stop start city driving alot then the auto box is worth it.

·
947 Posts
I think autos are good for big excutive cars or small town cars only.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Mangante, if it's any help I've just come from a MK5 GTI to a MK5 R32 and here's an early ownership write up that you might find or some use.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Having owned a MK5 GTi just over a year and now own a R32, I feel I might be able to offer a balanced opinion of the two cars. First of all I'd like to say I loved my GTi, and consider it one of the best cars I'd ever owned up until I traded it in just over a month ago. But for me the deal I was offered on the R32 was just too good to let go. Now how does the R32 compare IMHO. Yes it's heavier and for the same steering input it under steers, but it's no different to getting into a completely different car, you just change your driving style slightly and it soon becomes normal. People talk a fair bit about fuel consumption, but to worry about this somehow misses the point of the R32, it's got a big 3.2 V6 upfront and is never going to be the same as a 2.0 litre 4 pot. I think the weight works in it favour, as it feels better able to ride the rotting and rutted roads of the UK, it actually feels better the faster you drive over the rough stuff, and give lots of confidence at speed. Also when pushing on, it doesn't cock a back wheel during high speed cornering. As mentioned before, driving style is slightly different to the FWD GTi but you soon adjust how you go into a bend, I'd have to say the noise level inside the cockpit is quieter, but this might be down to tyres choice to be fair. Performance wise, well I've only just run my R32 in, but it feels very quick in a seamless smooth linier way , with a big wad of torque instantly of the slightest depression on the throttle pedal. The gorgeous exhaust note has been talked about a lot, and I have to admit, it is intoxicating. Looks wise it's a bit understated, and the inside is a little bit dull, and should feel a bit more special, some detail to let you know your in a top of the range Golf. But saying that I was never a fan of the GTi cheap look/feel honeycombed grill, (no offence to GTi owners) I find the R32 a bit more grow up at the front, but should have front fog lights for such a quality car. On paper the R32 looks very expensive against the GTi, but if you look at base models with price tags of £20k and £24.500k, and consider you get 18" alloys, metallic paint and Xenon's as standard with the R32 the £4.5k difference comes down to more like £3k, and assuming residuals will be better on the R32, it doesn't look such a big wad of cash. So to sum up, which car do I prefer, well strangely for me although the two cars are so similar in many ways, the GTi is better around Town's a Cities, but once on anything other than suburban street, the R32 is just so good, and putt's a smile on my face every time
--------------------------------------------------------------------

One extra point relevent to the DSG Manual topic, is that I find the drivetrain shunt in 1st gear a little bit more noticable on my manual car, I didn't notice it in the demo car, maybe becase I was driving harder, but for everyday use in my own car, it's tricky to get a smooth gearchange from 1st to 2nd gear. This might be something you don't notice with DSG.

Hope this helps. :shot:

·
Registered
23 Posts
I dont know if this will help, but i have just brought a mark v with DSG and its great. good in towns and traffic jams as a auto, then if you you use the paddle shift to go play you still feel like you're driving the car rather than being driven. My other car is a 911s, which we ordered in manual as the not cheap trip tronic (auto) is not involving. when you buy a new porsche you get a day driver training at millbrook with a pro race driver, at the time that i did mine the trainer told me that all the instructors that had driven the golf with DSG thought it was the way to go, yet they could not find a kind word for the trip tronic as a drivers car.
Hope this helps and doesn't sound like waffle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts