VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I attempted to clay bar my R today for the first time and what a mess.
Is it supposed to look like your wet n drying it? The residue proper sticks to the car and takes a fair bit of getting off. I'm using plenty of lube so what can I be doing wrong?

Cheers
Dale.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,496 Posts
I attempted to clay bar my R today for the first time and what a mess.
Is it supposed to look like your wet n drying it? The residue proper sticks to the car and takes a fair bit of getting off. I'm using plenty of lube so what can I be doing wrong?

Cheers
Dale.
Is the clay bar fairly hard/difficult to mold?

if so, plonk it into a bucket of hot hot water, it'll soften up, and be easier to use. If it's hard, then it's impossible to use. The trick it to get it fairly soft so it moulds to the contours of the bodywork.

Yes use it on wet car body work, so after the car's been washed, no need to dry the car off. Just glide the clay along, spray a bit of lube if you want to, I just use plain water.

Get the clay and split it into 2 or 3 big chunks, and alternate between the chunks of clay as they get cold chuck them back into hot water.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,704 Posts
Clayed my car a few weeks after i bought it, still feels silky smooth now and no noise either when i wipe my hand across any panels.....

If you haven't done this its a must feels so good and gave the car a much nicer finish when polished also


DO it


Wez
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,972 Posts
Dale said:
I attempted to clay bar my R today for the first time and what a mess.
Is it supposed to look like your wet n drying it? The residue proper sticks to the car and takes a fair bit of getting off. I'm using plenty of lube so what can I be doing wrong?

Cheers
Dale.
Use mcguires quick detailer as a lube for the clay bar and buff off with micro fibre you should be able to do the whole car in about 30 minutes this way

Sent from my iPhone 9 in a Time Machine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
363 Posts
You will notice marring from claying however which looks like loads of scratches in the paint, under certain lights and in sunlight. This will then need machining to remove..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gti Fly said:
Is the clay bar fairly hard/difficult to mold?

if so, plonk it into a bucket of hot hot water, it'll soften up, and be easier to use. If it's hard, then it's impossible to use. The trick it to get it fairly soft so it moulds to the contours of the bodywork.

Yes use it on wet car body work, so after the car's been washed, no need to dry the car off. Just glide the clay along, spray a bit of lube if you want to, I just use plain water.

Get the clay and split it into 2 or 3 big chunks, and alternate between the chunks of clay as they get cold chuck them back into hot water.
Yeah the clay was pretty hard to mould. I will try the hot water method next time though cheers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MIQ said:
Use mcguires quick detailer as a lube for the clay bar and buff off with micro fibre you should be able to do the whole car in about 30 minutes this way

Sent from my iPhone 9 in a Time Machine
I was using dodo juice red most as lube but the clay residue just went solid. I then had to spray more quick detailer on to get it wet again and more to remove the residue. Just ended up in a mess. I watched a YouTube vid before hand and I looked easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AaronMc said:
You will notice marring from claying however which looks like loads of scratches in the paint, under certain lights and in sunlight. This will then need machining to remove..
It needs a good machine polish as it is just can't afford one at the mo. was worried I was going to seriously scratch it.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
3,597 Posts
Clayed my car a few weeks after i bought it, still feels silky smooth now and no noise either when i wipe my hand across any panels.....

If you haven't done this its a must feels so good and gave the car a much nicer finish when polished also


DO it


Wez
Get some cellophane (like from a sig packet) place over your fingers and feel how smooth it is again ...
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
13,972 Posts
Dale said:
I was using dodo juice red most as lube but the clay residue just went solid. I then had to spray more quick detailer on to get it wet again and more to remove the residue. Just ended up in a mess. I watched a YouTube vid before hand and I looked easy.
Trust me just use the mcguires it's a piece of piss

And detail with do do, that's how I did mine and in filming yesterday they had to keep doing retakes as the crewe reflection was showing in the paintwork

Sent from my iPhone 9 in a Time Machine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
MIQ said:
Trust me just use the mcguires it's a piece of piss

And detail with do do, that's how I did mine and in filming yesterday they had to keep doing retakes as the crewe reflection was showing in the paintwork

Sent from my iPhone 9 in a Time Machine
Will use the mcguires kit next time I think cheers guys
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,496 Posts
I was using dodo juice red most as lube but the clay residue just went solid. I then had to spray more quick detailer on to get it wet again and more to remove the residue. Just ended up in a mess. I watched a YouTube vid before hand and I looked easy.
There's part of the problem mate,

you can't use Red Mist as the lube, red mist contains SOLVENTS, so it'll dissolve the clay rather than work as a lube.

Next time use plenty water, or a splash of shampoo in the water

Save the red mist for a last touch detailing finish, or as a show glaze ( i mean something you use to clean the car at shows)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
927 Posts
There's part of the problem mate,

you can't use Red Mist as the lube, red mist contains SOLVENTS, so it'll dissolve the clay rather than work as a lube.

Next time use plenty water, or a splash of shampoo in the water

Save the red mist for a last touch detailing finish, or as a show glaze ( i mean something you use to clean the car at shows)
X2 mate red mist will dry very quickly also and that's also gonna be an issue. Dodo born slippy is great with clay bars.

Give it a go again and I am sure you will be fine


Let us know how you get on


Best of luck

Wez
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cheers guys, going to get the mcguires kit and will let you all know! Getting a bit obsessed with keeping it clean
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top