VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, came out to my car 2 hours after last driving it and it wont start.
When i turn the ignition on all lights come on and go off as usual but when i turn the key to fire it up nothing happens.

I had the rac out and he said there:

Theres power to the ignition.
Nothing from the ignition to the starter motor.
When he connected the starter to the battery it fires up (with ignition on)

Has anyone heard ir anything like this? Ive checked all fuses too.

Does anyone have any suggestions? All i can think of is the wire from the ignition to the starter has broke or shorted or something?

Thanks in advance

·
19,389 Posts
Actually sounds like a faulty ignition switch. It used to be a common fault on Polos and Ibizas, ignition would switch on OK but when you turned it to start the engine, nothing.

·
19,389 Posts
Just wire up a Starter button:)

With regards to a new switch, I would go to TPS. They might even be able to supply one with the correct barrel from tbe key code so you don't have the hassle with having to swap over the metal part of the key. The ignition switch also has the reader for the RFID tag in the key for the immobilser but that shouldn't cause any problems.

You might want to do some more diagnosis to confirm it is the switch though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So i cant just get any new switch?
I rang tps and they said i might have to go to vw to get the key coded?

·
19,389 Posts
Not as simple as just a new switch as it includes the barrel which is specific to the key blade. I thought you could possibly order with the key code and the barrel would be matched to your existing key blade.

If you use a new key then it will have to be coded to the car but you can get round it in one of 2 ways;

1. Swap over the metal blade part of the keys, so you are using the existing RFID chip and circuit out of the original key
2. Swap over the RFID chip and the circuit board from old key and put in new key.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts