VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a TomTom 720, which allows hands free connectivity with my mobile phone, I also discovered it will act as an ipod controller.

I have all the cables & connections for it to work in the BMW, but in the R32 I cannot find a 3.5mm jack (believe it's a 3.5) aux input.

Where is it or how do I connect.

Suggetions greatfully appreciated.

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
748 Posts
I too have a 720 for hands-free and my iPod is fitted via the VW kit onto the back of the rcd300 standard stereo. I don't think there is a 2.5 or 3.5 mm stereo jack socket anywhere on the stereo, so I control mine from the mf wheel.

·
Registered
124 Posts
there is no jack in the golf, the stereo does have an audio in but is for phone and cd changer or i pod ineterface this is a much better option. it then uses the DAC in the stereo instead of the i pod.

Lee

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that Lee.

Excuse the follow up, does this mean I have to go to VW to fit (they quote £150 for ipod fitting) or is there a DIY option?

·
102 Posts
Sorry to hijack but is there an adaptor that will go into the standard HU but feed from anything other than an IPod or CD Changer, eg3.5mm jack?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mark 5.

Thanks for that. I've got the RCD 500 with internal cd, I'm going to give it a go.

·
Registered
51 Posts
No probs, its a slight pain to get the head unit out, mkv doesnt use removal keys, you have to take the centre dash apart, ive done mine a few times now, and its fairly straight forward. theres a guide on one of the other forums, i'll see if i can find it.....

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here's the Mk5 head unit removal guide, ignore the last part of the guide as it doesnt apply, these units just plug straight in to the empty connection slot where the external cd changer would go, also i didnt bother removing any of the wires (hazard switch plug etc) like it says, just removed trim and put to one side. but its up to you. :)
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=2480895

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Once again, thanks for that, looks like a little job for the future weeks.

Off car cleaning now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.