VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

I am in need of some advice please. I recently bought a 2004 mk 4 r32. I plan to keep her a while so took the plunge and got the timing chains, camshaft adjusters, new clutch etc fitted. Now i was due to pick the car up this afternoon but there seems to be a bit of a problem.

My mechanic had just left to go on holiday before i could get round to the garage so i had to speak to the girl at the desk and she tried to explain what the problem is.

There seems to be an issue the car has been put back together and on its first start up it seems to be skiping a tooth on the timing and running like a bag of spanners. The info i got from her was a bit vague to say the least but it dosn't sound good basicallly she said there is an issue with the timing.She couldnt really tell me anymore really about it. I know its better to actually speak to my mechanic when he returns from holiday but there is loads of things running round my head and its driving me crazy that i have potentially bought a lemon and the engine is fooked etc etc so was wondering if anyone can shed any light really on what could be causing it? I have been using this garage for years and it is a very reputable vw/audi speacilist.

Any info appreciated

Paul

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
I take it the car was running fine before? Now its had the chains etc done its now skipped a tooth?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Car was fine before. Then it was down on power so i decided to replace the chains as it was throwing up the fault for the camshaft sensor. In the end the old changes were actually stretched.

Yeah it seems it has. As i said i really need to speak to the mechanic and see what he says. Its just driving me crazy knowing something major could be wrong.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Car was fine before. Then it was down on power so i decided to replace the chains as it was throwing up the fault for the camshaft sensor. In the end the old changes were actually stretched.

Yeah it seems it has. As i said i really need to speak to the mechanic and see what he says. Its just driving me crazy knowing something major could be wrong.
Was there an update to this story...?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep new chains all fitted etc but cant get a reading in measuring block 209 for the exhaust cam. Will be going back in the garage to check all wiring to the camshaft sensor for the exhaust cam.

Reactions: bluefox

·
Registered
927 Posts
Mines getting chains done over the next couple of weeks as mine have stretched. The joys or timing chains hey. If you don't mind me asking what was your bill for carrying out the work?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Dont have any problems or fault codes but plays on my head to change the chains or not lol
mine has 50k on the clock with standard chain.
How much is it to change? and is a new chain any stronger than the chain that vw originally put on the car?

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
Dont have any problems or fault codes but plays on my head to change the chains or not lol
mine has 50k on the clock with standard chain.
How much is it to change? and is a new chain any stronger than the chain that vw originally put on the car?
ABout 1200 by the time you do clutch, might aswell do SC also. Dont change them!! My first R had 115k and i would never of changed them. AndyG had 120+ i think and he aint changing them EddGreen had 144k and he had no intention.

·
Registered
435 Posts
ABout 1200 by the time you do clutch, might aswell do SC also. Dont change them!! My first R had 115k and i would never of changed them. AndyG had 120+ i think and he aint changing them EddGreen had 144k and he had no intention.
How much is the parts just do ya know?
And MC?

See I don't wana change it but Robin in here put the fear of god Into me as his went at similar mileage as mine and its a full engine rebuild! :S

·
2,204 Posts
When new, they are around +3 intake and +1 exhaust. Mine were on +7 & +7 at 51K. +8 is the VW specified tolerance and some still run OK at +9. Beyond that the ECU can start losing visibility of the sensors and you get the "Cam / Crank sensor incorrect correlation" error.

It's your car, your money at the end of the day. If it's a keeper, it's worth the investment.

Yep new chains all fitted etc but cant get a reading in measuring block 209 for the exhaust cam. Will be going back in the garage to check all wiring to the camshaft sensor for the exhaust cam.
Try swapping the intake and exhaust cam sensors over with the engine running. If you still don't get a reading, the chains are so far off the ECU can't see the sensor.

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
How much is the parts just do ya know?
And MC?

See I don't wana change it but Robin in here put the fear of god Into me as his went at similar mileage as mine and its a full engine rebuild! :S
About £600 from VW. SC is Slave Cylinder. Some people change them some dont, i would as some of them leak and its a ballache to do! Look after your engine and it will look after you. Saying that DougalR changed his chains and the car is absolutley silent!

·
19,389 Posts
About £600 from VW. SC is Slave Cylinder. Some people change them some dont, i would as some of them leak and its a ballache to do! Look after your engine and it will look after you. Saying that DougalR changed his chains and the car is absolutley silent!
It's the Slave Cylinder that's normally changed when the chains / clutch are done due to it's location.

·
Registered
584 Posts
mines done 116,048 and i have no intention of changing them anytime soon, if my clutch eventually gives up the ghost i may consider getting them done for a future buyers piece of mind but they measure at +7& +7 respectivly which is fine so no need

·
Registered
435 Posts
Ok and much time in is? Is it engine out or what? Her dad is a mechanic ya see so that why I'm asking for parts price!

And ok fair enough! Yes I do believe if ya look after your car it does the same.
I had a Renault for like 4 years and not a thing went wrong on it! Haha and with their reputation that just proves that the love I put into the car was worth it! Haha

I have a slight whining noise. Can only hear it at idle/slow parking speed. To me it sounds like a belt pulley sorta noise.

Any idea what this could be?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When new, they are around +3 intake and +1 exhaust. Mine were on +7 & +7 at 51K. +8 is the VW specified tolerance and some still run OK at +9. Beyond that the ECU can start losing visibility of the sensors and you get the "Cam / Crank sensor incorrect correlation" error.

It's your car, your money at the end of the day. If it's a keeper, it's worth the investment.

Try swapping the intake and exhaust cam sensors over with the engine running. If you still don't get a reading, the chains are so far off the ECU can't see the sensor.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok its worth a try. How do you mean that the chains could be so far off though that the ECU cant see the sensor? My car has had all new chains tensioners and camshaft adjusters and runs -4 in the intake cam but i cant get a reading in the exhaust cam. Surely that points to wiring issue? Or ECU related?

·
2,204 Posts
Ok its worth a try. How do you mean that the chains could be so far off though that the ECU cant see the sensor? My car has had all new chains tensioners and camshaft adjusters and runs -4 in the intake cam but i cant get a reading in the exhaust cam. Surely that points to wiring issue? Or ECU related?
Yes it could be a wiring issue but you would also get the MIL and a fault code for a defective sensor. Anything in the fault codes?

The intake is -4? That's a bit unusual. They're normally +2 or around that, but -4 is in tolerance (-8 to + eight).

I think this is one for the garage who did the work to answer I'm afraid. It could be incorrectly timed cams, wrong or defective sensor, wrong ecu....a number of things. I'm not suggesting either are true, just listing the possible reasons.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts