VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here is the little fucker thats taking all my money right now, the list of things to do grows daily. So far i have done the flapper mod and put a stubby ariel as the old one was wrecked but still need to do the base as its perished.. Im going to get the tints removed or possibly redone as they have started to fall apart lol.

Plans are to get it back to as near mint as possible and get everything fixed and working again. Then i want to refurb the wheels, also have a nice set of 19s in the garage but not sure if they will fit? Loads more plans tbh but need to get the basics done, main one atm is the drivers side light is knackered, have traced it down to the ballast holder, does anyone know if this can be bought seperatley??

Its already been delocked but whoever did it made an arse of it as half the time the drivers door wont unlock! also its got hella magic colours tails on it which i like.

Anyway heres a few pic, its dirty and the pics are poop but its a start..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Booked the car in to vw for the coilpack recall & a healthcheck. Also getting them to replace the ariel base as its perished and looks shit - this will cost a stupid price but it has to be done and i cant do it myself..

Also had a price from a window tinting firm to take the old scabby tints off and replace the 3 rears for 130 quid, not bad - might just get them to strip the tints off alotogether for a cleaner look..

Does anyone know if seat bolsters can be repaired? my side bolster is in a pretty bad way, passenger one isnt too bad

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
Booked the car in to vw for the coilpack recall & a healthcheck. Also getting them to replace the ariel base as its perished and looks shit - this will cost a stupid price but it has to be done and i cant do it myself..

Also had a price from a window tinting firm to take the old scabby tints off and replace the 3 rears for 130 quid, not bad - might just get them to strip the tints off alotogether for a cleaner look..

Does anyone know if seat bolsters can be repaired? my side bolster is in a pretty bad way, passenger one isnt too bad
You an change it yourself but you need to get under the headlining. like you said VW will charge you crazy money. definitely a DIY job for sure.You can strip the tints off yourself too, and then decide if you want them back on. Next time im in Inverness ill do it for free for you. Don't pay silly money for silly jobs
Bolsters an be bought separately but again crazy money, have a look at a trimmer in inverness

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You an change it yourself but you need to get under the headlining. like you said VW will charge you crazy money. definitely a DIY job for sure.You can strip the tints off yourself too, and then decide if you want them back on. Next time im in Inverness ill do it for free for you. Don't pay silly money for silly jobs
Bolsters an be bought separately but again crazy money, have a look at a trimmer in inverness
Hmm ill see what money they want but im having 2nd thoughts now.. messing with headlining is not something im keen on. Dunno how id get the tints off plus the rear window seems like it would be tricky because of the heater elements..

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
Hmm ill see what money they want but im having 2nd thoughts now.. messing with headlining is not something im keen on. Dunno how id get the tints off plus the rear window seems like it would be tricky because of the heater elements..
Its easier than you think fella,The tints is just a plastic film. Just find a corner and pull it off slowly to get it off in once. Don't worry about the rear heated element. Pulling super super super strong tints off wont harm them at all

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its easier than you think fella,The tints is just a plastic film. Just find a corner and pull it off slowly to get it off in once. Don't worry about the rear heated element. Pulling super super super strong tints off wont harm them at all
Hmm ok well i might give it a go, is there a guide for the ariel base?

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
Its hiding some nice rust, another gift from the previous owner...
Well known for being a water trap. You don't actually need them as the bump strip protrudes slightly and will be the first thing to come into contact with anything

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks dude! Yeah the door strips are bashed to hell also, makes me wonder about the previous owners...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Had the car recalled today for the coilpacks and a free healthcheck - was pleasantly surprised to hear all it needs is a tyre and new wiper blades!

Also organising a new headlight with Lucifer so hopefully have this resolved by next week.

Lastly i managed to track down some of the service history via nottingham VW - they are sending me up some paperwork of servicing they have done to the car. Cant beleive i bought the car with hardly any history and no frigging book! Anyway i am building a file of documents and had a new service book stamped up with the recent work i had done.

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
Had the car recalled today for the coilpacks and a free healthcheck - was pleasantly surprised to hear all it needs is a tyre and new wiper blades!

Also organising a new headlight with Lucifer so hopefully have this resolved by next week.

Lastly i managed to track down some of the service history via nottingham VW - they are sending me up some paperwork of servicing they have done to the car. Cant beleive i bought the car with hardly any history and no frigging book! Anyway i am building a file of documents and had a new service book stamped up with the recent work i had done.
Delighted things are looking up!

Hope to meet in Inverness one day

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks buddy! Still a long way from how I want it. Will feel a lot better when I get the headlight sorted and I can drive at night!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Todays work involved changing the rear wiper arm for a mk5 version, wasnt too tricky to do but i had to shave the mk5 cap down a little as it fouled the rear window and because i kept taking it off and on i snapped one of the lugs that holds it onto the spine so its on and looks fine but the cap may fall off so ill prob need a new one in due course..

looks much better.
I also swapped my ariel for an even smaller one just for the crack.
And i removed the tints by using a steamer and it worked pretty good - only problem i have now is i am left with alot of residue and its a nightmare to get it off - any help is appreciated on this. Been using autoglym tar and glue remover and a cloth just rubbing it away but its painful - took an hour to 1 window!! HELP

·
Cannot reMember
16,142 Posts
pads said:
Todays work involved changing the rear wiper arm for a mk5 version, wasnt too tricky to do but i had to shave the mk5 cap down a little as it fouled the rear window and because i kept taking it off and on i snapped one of the lugs that holds it onto the spine so its on and looks fine but the cap may fall off so ill prob need a new one in due course..

looks much better.
I also swapped my ariel for an even smaller one just for the crack.
And i removed the tints by using a steamer and it worked pretty good - only problem i have now is i am left with alot of residue and its a nightmare to get it off - any help is appreciated on this. Been using autoglym tar and glue remover and a cloth just rubbing it away but its painful - took an hour to 1 window!! HELP
Use white spirit or petrol on a cloth. Any solvent will do

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tried white spirit and it was no use - will try wd40 or the girlfriends acetone tomo. The car does look alot better without tint, seems cleaner somehow.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts