VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello ppl i will soon be the owner of an r32 i hope and i will be needin sum advice/help i have test drove the mk5 gti and r32 both were fantastic and i would love either but i want the r32 as been in love since the mk4s release, only problem i hav now is i used to own a mk4 gttdi and im now thinkin on the mk4 r32 as they are obviously cheaperso is it worth payin £5000+ more for the new 1 as i still avent drove the mk4 r32 wt is the drive like? compared to the new 1 and (i no it sound funny) the mk4 gttdi. any help appreciated as its a lot of money, ps im still young and do like a bit of a thrash:burnout:hehehe

·
3,732 Posts
can of worms time :D

if you read through the forums theres loads on the 5 vs 4, some recent articles too.

i drove the 5gti and 5r32 and loved it. i just wanted more exterior styling for my money. i bought my mk4 r32 without driving it or even seeing it - a gamble yes, but a low risk one.

i can honestly say i just prefer the look of the 4 over the 5 but they are both good cars

its going to boil down to what does it for you most between the two as the differences are minimal

compared to your tdi

basically double the 'shove in seat' and changing at twice the way round the rev counter, noise sweet noise and handling that will constantly make you grin in corners

the tdi i felt was nose light nd loved to understeer... something my mk4gtiT suffers with when you push it

the r32 stays in the corner and means it either 4 or 5

thats my short answer :D;)

·
748 Posts
Mk 4 all day mate cant beat em Mk5 looks to tame!!

·
Premium Member
4,542 Posts
Having been in the same boat as you i opted for the mk4.

Decision based on at the time:
i decided i didnt like the look of the mk5 (its grown on me now)
The mk4 was obviously cheaper
The mk4 felt more hardcore , and i felt more intouch/intune with the car from a drivers point of view.
The mk5 i drove felt a bit too grown up.

My advice is look at your budget and drive both cars, I opted for my mk4 because it looks more aggresive too.

·
1,432 Posts
MkIV but its all down to personal preference at the end of the day, if we told you to jump off a cliff cos it feels good would you do it?
Make your own decision.

G

·
How much cash have you got to spend?

I just wasn't keen on the interior of the MKV - ever since I saw a MKIV R at the motor show I wanted one.

One of the main reasons I bought my MKIV was that I had got to look at an M3. Turned up in a 1997 Vectra, got the pushchair out, and walked around the forecourt. Nobody bothered coming out to us. So I went next door and bought the .:R and I am very happy I did :151:

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cheers for all the help guys much appreciated, i thinki may go with the mk4 as its the original R and the one that got me going, wher i live every1 one seem to look at new cars so i guess its rubbed off on me lol, and if the differences in drive etc are minimal then its gotta be the cheaper option plus i agree slightly more stop and stare than the new one, also i like the sound of it bein less tame again many thanks,,............. next problem its likely to be a private sale now can any one point me in the direction of a what to look out for thread or link????????????????

oh in response to sum 1 il have around 15k max to spend on a mk4 i think thats reasonable for a decent 1 from what ive seen.

cheers

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FiftyPenceR32 said:
MkIV but its all down to personal preference at the end of the day, if we told you to jump off a cliff cos it feels good would you do it?
Make your own decision.
no need for that im askin a question i imagined alot of ppl that are similar to would hav asked so jus wanted opinions its not too easy to test drive a mk4 as they are mainly private sales now and many ppl wont hand their keys over to a young lad and say 'go on try before u buy' not meanin to sound a twat but was onli askin for help

·
3,732 Posts
you should be ok with £15k with some miles on the clock

if you search the vw dealer network online theres still some on forecourts :D just find the one closest to you and make the trip for the test drive :tee:

i didnt test drive mine, but i bought it through the dealer network with a warranty so wasnt a major concern

·
1,432 Posts
Apologies, I say go for a MkIV, they rule :) I would never swap for a MkV now. Its too sedate compared to the MkIV which is more hardcore.

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks alot guys i think its gonna be a mk4. off tomoz to test drive one, one private owner 22k onthe clock, dbp, pale grey trim, 15.5k so fingers crossed spoke to him sed as long as proof of fully comp ins not a problem as long as i dnt get too giddy haha

·
3,732 Posts
jonnyr32 said:
thanks alot guys i think its gonna be a mk4. off tomoz to test drive one, one private owner 22k onthe clock, dbp, pale grey trim, 15.5k so fingers crossed spoke to him sed as long as proof of fully comp ins not a problem as long as i dnt get too giddy haha
good choice, let us know how you get on

if your private buying dont forget to HPI! :call:

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
just to keep all posted because the guy was such a good chap he chose to ignore his fone all weekend so unfortunately no luck ahh well il just have to keep looking eh shame, it looked really nice on the pics suppose it saves me a fifty mile trek, anyone that sees a good deal i would be grateful if u let me no thanks (becoming v.impatient now haha)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts