VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone point me in the right direction I want some brighter head lights..I don't have a clue about lights
Would something like a 8000k be really bright?? Can I just fit hid bulbs in or will I have to change anything...ie ballast

·
5,496 Posts
In terms of the mk4, the dipped beam bulbs are Xenon D2S 35watt size.

Osram make an upgrade bulb set in this size:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OSRAM-D2S-35W-Xenarc-SILVERSTAR-HID-XENON-66240SVS-Silverstar-/221265887847?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3384798267

Claimed to have about 20% more power than like for like standard D2S bulbs.

If you fitted these you'd probably notice more than 20% extra brightness, because over time any light bulb will loose it's efficiency. So it may well be worth a punt if your lights are becoming not so bright.

In terms of colour, 'kelvin' is a measure of the colour on bulbs. 4300K is closer to sunlight white/yellow, and it the very brightest in terms of light output.

The higher u go up in Kelvin (5000, 6000, 7000,8000 etc), the more blue or purple the colour becomes. But the downside is you will actually have a light that is less bright than the factory 4300K.

So looks versus output.... Lots of people think the higher up the kelvin scale means brighter lights. This isn't the case. Stick with 4300K or as close to this as possible for highest light output.

It's a shame we can't upgrade the internals to 55Watt electrics without butchering the stock headlight, because 55W would be another leap forwards in brightness

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
I concur with GtiFly.

Get the D2S Silverstars. Whilst you are at it and have the covers off, replace the H7 main beams with Osram H7 Nightbreakers (Euro Car parts have them cheap using R32OC25 code), and also replace the sidelights bulbs to LED ones.

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
These are the bulbs up you want if you want a whiter look instead of that awful yellow tint -

D2S Xenons - Philips Ultinon 6000k
H7 - Philips Diamond Vision 5000k

Check page 2 of my build thread for pictures to see if they suit what you are after.
I wouldn't get the 6k ones mate. The 5k ones are bright white and still retain lumens on the road. The ultinons won't light up the road ahead of you anywhere near as well IMO

·
1,534 Posts
I concur with GtiFly.

Get the D2S Silverstars. Whilst you are at it and have the covers off, replace the H7 main beams with Osram H7 Nightbreakers (Euro Car parts have them cheap using R32OC25 code), and also replace the sidelights bulbs to LED ones.
apparently the code doesn't work on the h7 nightbreakers mate, ive just tried

·
19,388 Posts
apparently the code doesn't work on the h7 nightbreakers mate, ive just tried
Somstimes the code is disabled if they have a promotion or event on, which is quite often

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
themainlegend said:
Mine are awesome, loads better than standard. They are a good balance of looks and practicality.
For me it's not a good enough balance. There is a 30% reduction in lumen output with the Ultinons. 30% less light, and what light there is can't cut through moisture and fog as its too blue.

The Silverstars are a ice white. With minimal lumen loss.

·
2,665 Posts

·
5,496 Posts
I've got the Philips 6000k Ultinons, and yep I don't think they are as bright as 4300K ones. They may look cool, but they ain't as good when you're hammering it along at night, or worse when it's raining.

If I were to do it again, I'd go with the brightest 4300K bulb. Maybe in a years time or so, someone will bring out a 50% extra d2S bulb (Osram or philips pls!!)

·
Registered
4,468 Posts
themainlegend said:
James you love the bulb debate lol.
Hahahahaha I do don't I. I used to work for GE in the HID sector so I feel I can 'contribute' lol.

Perhaps it's time I removed the saddle, and put it out to pasture for a while hehe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts