VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondered if anyone could advise on this?

The car generally runs perfectly except recently when started from cold it idles steadily at 1100rpm for the first minute or so rather than the usual 600-700 ish. It used to be a bit intermittent but it is doing it every time from cold now.

Due a service in a few weeks so will get it checked, but wondered if this was a common problem. Any advice greatly appreciated.

·
3,732 Posts
i dont know if i would call it a problem? mine does it occasionally from cold but settles within about a minute

i always wait for the temp needle to hit middle before i take the car over 2k revs anyway

·
1,432 Posts
Its a standard thing, idles about 1100rpm until things have warmed up sufficiently and then it goes back down to normal temp. It all depends on the outside temp aswell as somedays it idles high then settles low again and other days it settles on low idle straight away!

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
748 Posts
What does the MkIV idle at when warm? Mine sits at about 600...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Nice and simply this one chaps, for those who haven't had there .:R's for more than 5 mins:aetsch: its called Autochoke! Iirc its along the lines of getting the oil round the system and getting the cats warmed and the .:R will idle at 600rpm.

HTH:151:

·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, was getting a bit worried becuse when I bought the car (March) it almost always idled at 600 from cold, but now idles at 1100 every time from cold.

No wories will get them to check it at service.

Thanks

·
572 Posts
Read about this on Vortex. It seems to work in reverse compared to old style choke. On hotter days, it starts up at 1100rpm the drops to 650. On cold days, it starts at 650 and stays there. Like every modern engine, ecu takes in inputs from all sensors and decides what to do.

·
50 Posts
Thought I'd restart this thread as my MK4 R32 ALWAYS idles at 1,200rpm from cold and this seems a bit wrong to me. If I stop it straight away and restart it'll go to 600rpm :S

Any thoughts??

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
5,616 Posts
Yep, mine does it for about 15 seconds before settling down to normal idle :top:

·
362 Posts
Sounds normal to me and, as others have said, depends very much on ambient conditions. On a cold, damp day mine starts at about 1100rpm but then it drops to about 600 a minute or so later.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts