VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Long Member
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, tonight I went far too fast over a speed bump. I hold my hands up and say it was my fault as I was driving too fast. In my defence I will say it was on a stretch of car park road on the entrance to Finchley Road O2 centre parking, where there is about 200m of flat smooth beautiful road before a black, unmarked speed bump of about 4 inches in height appears.

I saw it very late as whatever markings there were on it have long since worn away, and it was 9pm, so dark. I estimate that I hit it about 40-50mph and was braking so perhaps slightly less. I acknowledge that I was in the wrong here, but an empty car park road, smooth and flat proved to be too tempting (I've learnt my lesson now).

Anyway, my stereo popped out slightly which I put back in easily enough and it works fine, there are no warning lights, but my passenger side airbag cover came slightly loose so I had to push that back in. Should I go to VW and get this checked? The last thing I want is for that to deploy unexpectantly, or not to deploy at all when needed. Also, in terms of shocks/suspension/alignment, should I go and get these looked at? I'm really paranoid I've damaged my baby, any advice would be greatly received!

Such a f*cking idiot.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You may have messed up your suspension components to say the least. You should go get your alignment checked if anything. Also check your rims for cracks or warps.

·
2,204 Posts
I think you might be OK.

Does the car feel any different to drive? If not, you probably got away with it but it's still worth making sure none of suspension arms got bent or any damper seals have let go, springs snapped etc.

·
Long Member
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Take it to a garage you trust, tell them you've recently bought it and just want it fully checking over.
Good thinking...I don't want to give the garage any opportunity to rip me off so that would be a good approach. I'll drop it into a garage I trust near me and keep my fingers crossed.

·
Long Member
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you might be OK.

Does the car feel any different to drive? If not, you probably got away with it but it's still worth making sure none of suspension arms got bent or any damper seals have let go, springs snapped etc.
Car felt ok to drive, although my anxiety on the way home made me think otherwise. I will take her out today and see. Worried about the airbag cover, I assume that came loose due to the knock, and not because the airbag was about to deploy?

·
2,204 Posts
Yep, the airbag dash insert is just a gentle push fit and is designed to come out when the fun bag deploys. It's held on by a strap, which stops it flying into your passenger's face

The airbag unit is rigidly bolted to the dash frame.

·
Long Member
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, the airbag dash insert is just a gentle push fit and is designed to come out when the fun bag deploys. It's held on by a strap, which stops it flying into your passenger's face

The airbag unit is rigidly bolted to the dash frame.
Ok brilliant, that is what I imagined so nothing too serious there. As I'm a member of the AA I'm going to book one of their 206 point inspections - I should do regardless really as I just bought the car, and it'll give me peace of mind. This will teach me for driving like a chav

·
196 Posts
Dont kick yourself to much mate,

we all have done things we have regreat in our cars

i let the little boy clean my brand new pressed personalised number plates and gave him a cloth and a bucket and some how he found a scratchy cloth and took all the black paint of the thing lol.

i understand its not as bad as yours but just wanted to make the point we all make mistakes.

just remember you are the proud owner of a fantastic car and it can be fixed with a bit of time and love

ill never let the little bugger touch the car again lol

·
Long Member
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dont kick yourself to much mate,

we all have done things we have regreat in our cars

i let the little boy clean my brand new pressed personalised number plates and gave him a cloth and a bucket and some how he found a scratchy cloth and took all the black paint of the thing lol.

i understand its not as bad as yours but just wanted to make the point we all make mistakes.

just remember you are the proud owner of a fantastic car and it can be fixed with a bit of time and love

ill never let the little bugger touch the car again lol
Haha thanks man, yes you're right we all make little errors! Plus, any extra time spent mending is more time caring for it - any excuse!

·
678 Posts
At least you didn't burst the sump there's a real plus side

1 - 13 of 13 Posts