VW Golf R32 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Thought I'd say a quick hello as I'll hopefully be a R32 owner soon. I currently drive a 350z but I've a got a 'little un' on the way so need to get a 5 door car and I've been test driving a few over the last week. I really wanted to like the Focus ST (save me some £££) but I just did not feel much for it, the R32 though was quality:top:

Looking to spend no more than £20k so what do you reckon that will get me ? I know the 350z prices have been dropping lots in the last few months, how have the R32 ones fared ?

oh and is there a link to a buying guide on here ?

cheers for now :hello:

Ads

·
.:R32OC Resident Pervert
7,935 Posts
Welcome to R32oc

Yes you will get good advice on here.

All the best,

·
.:R32OC Site Contributor
595 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You are in good hands here!

·
5,616 Posts
Welcome to the forum mate, £20k should get you a mint example! You've picked a good time to buy.

·
347 Posts
In the current market, you should be able to get a 07/57 with DSG for £20k!
Six months ago you would have been looking at around £23k which shows how these things have depreciated since fuel prices have started climbing rapidly.

It's a good time to buy and - if fuel prices did drop - prices would recover rapidly. The Mk5 R32 is still a sought after car if people can afford to run them!

There's an 07 here with 8K on it for £17,950:
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/512307.htm

It's very basic spec though - no leather, not even a centre armrest.

If you're worried about residuals, there is the option of personal leasing a new one. There are some cracking deals around at the moment with VW UK trying to get rid of the last remaining stock of R32s (production has stopped which should also help residuals).

e.g.
£278.11 + VAT = £326.78 on a 2 year 10K contract
http://www.dsgauto.com/car_leasing-...kswagen_Golf_3.2_V6_R32_4MOTION_3dr-7279.html

Either way - if you can afford the fuel it's a great time to buy a Mk5 R32 and a great car!

·
887 Posts
Welcome to the forum :ciao:

You'll find plenty of info on here and if you can't, just ask someone will know!

As the others have said, prices have dropped a bit over the last 6-12 months but should level out again once the fuel prices settle down so you're picking a great time to buy in terms of getting good value.

Keep us posted!

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome - seems a friendly place on here :knuddel:

I'm definately after a mark V, have seen a few Mark IV's for sale locally and do like the look of them but want to go for a newer car under warranty as I hope to keep it for at least 3-4 years.

I've been doing quite a lot of reading and have a longer test drive booked on Tues. I do want to compare manual vs. DSG as read some pro's and cons about it on Evo site.

Richardshek - cheers for the guide, is there a Mark V guide too or are there any main pointers for things to look out for on the Mark V

It looks like there are lots of options so need to get clued up as to whats on offer. The one I drove had an IPOD connection in the arm rest which would be ace !

thanks again

Ads

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was meant to ask - whats the name of the dark blue colour, looks an amazing colour. I saw one on autotrader but I guess they are quite rare.

Ads

·
5,616 Posts
thelongads said:
Was meant to ask - whats the name of the dark blue colour, looks an amazing colour. I saw one on autotrader but I guess they are quite rare.

Ads
Deep Blue Pearl :biggrin: is best..

I think the darker one is called Indigo Blue

·
347 Posts
thelongads said:

Ads
I guess you mean Shadow Blue Metallic:

Deep Blue Pearl (or "Council Estate Blue") is as common as muck:

:aetsch:

·
5,616 Posts
lol!

My bad, Indigo blue was for MkIV's.

Shadow Blue sounds about right!

·
479 Posts
When was D.P.B ever common the best colour by far :vroam:

·
130 Posts
Mine is shadow Blue. Not many about and does look very nice when it is clean and the sun is shining.

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks guys - cant get a deep blue pearl as 2 of them in work already and I'm good mates with a girl who has one of them. Think its going to be the shadow blue or black.

cant wait for the next test drive now :top:

Ads

·
287 Posts
What's the 350Z like mate? I'm thinking of selling the R and getting one, but is it really that impractical? What's the power like? I've driven one briefly and it seemed a little quicker than the R32 but I didn't really like the interior.

What's the car like to live with? Sorry for all the questions but I'm a curious bugger!

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I originally came from a chipped RS Focus and initially was not wowed by the power delivery but I think that was more to do with the insane old skool delivery of the focus. Now I've had it a while I appreciate it a lot more and the power is just really progressive and you end up going faster than you think you are, a bit of a GT feel to it. Its got good torque so it pulls well from most gears but mine is the 276bhp version, the new ones are 313bhp and quicker.

Practicality wise, its got a decent boot space for a 2 seater (gets the weekly shop in and golf bags). One thing which took some getting used to was wet / winter driving as with RWD it felt it on the exit of roundabouts or tight bends it would get quite twitchy. It was my 1st RWD car so I was learning the ropes !

Interior is ok, my focus was very basic but seeing the R32, the 350z is much more plastic and less quality so would be a backwards step. I have the GT pack which gets you heated seats, cruise control and bose stereo.

All in all, a great car, looks the business and gets lots of attention - only had it 8 mths so gutted to be selling it but equally excited about getting a R

Ads

·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well my 350z is up for sale now, take a peek here.........

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/635342.htm

anyone fancy a px..... lol

don't flame me guys but I've been trying to weigh up whether to get an R or to go for a GTI and chip it to around 250bhp. The GTI will be cheaper to buy, cheaper to run and maybe almost as much fun :viking: However the R has that engine and the seats are tonnes better too.

Anyone got any experience of both they can share ?

cheers
Ads

1 - 20 of 20 Posts